Electronic drums?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter emad
  • 1 comments
  • 426 views
Messages
5,622
Messages
eMadman
My break from school is here and for the next 4 months, I'll only have to go to school twice a week for the 2 summer courses I have. This gives me time to find a new toy to play with :D

I've playing with the idea of me taking up an instrument for the first time. The problem is that I live in a townhome and i have neighbors to either side of me. This rules out most of the instruments that I find interesting. Space is also a problem. However, we may possibly be moving to either a bigger place so I'll only have to worry about noise.

I like the thought of drums mostly because it's about building up a rhythm. Because of that, I think it would be easiest for me to teach myself how to play (no money for lessons). The problem, as I said, was noise. In this place, space is also a problem (hopefully we're going to move in a few months). If we do move, I'd like to get myself a new toy to play with and I think an electronic drum set would be cool. The problem, is that I don't know how these fare in replicating real drums and I also don't know how well these things interact with pc's. Add in that I know nothing about what's a good price to pay and where to start looking and well...you get the idea.

I looked around at Yamaha's site and found the DTXpress III. It seems to be a full kit but it's damn expensive if you get it new ($1000 US at froogle.com). The DD55 looks more affordable but if I get this and chose to move up to a DTXpress or something similar, how big a change in terms of layout and such will I be looking at? The DD55 is about 24 inches x 14 inches. Are there any other electronic drums out there?

I'd usually ask friends and family but nobody I know uses drums. The music stores in my town are just too far away from me to go just to ask questions.

Thanks
 
http://www.rolandus.com/products/subcategory.asp?CatID=5&SubCatID=22

Have a look at that link. I've not been into the music scene, for a few years now, but remember these as having a killer sound. I played in a band with a drummer who had a Simmons electronic kit, with dbl. bass and the whole 9 yards. Cool thing about electronics, is you can throw on a set of headphones and beat the skins 'til your blue in the face and not worry about waking up the neighborhood.;) Just remember, when it comes time to jam with your friends, you'll need some sort of amp or PA.
 
Back