Elevation Changes

• Thread starter pgzzz
  • 8 comments
rambo_smith
Hi, I've been playing about with the track maker for the last couple of days and all ove the tracks I have made have unrealistic elevation changes.

Is there any way of setting this to a lower level as most real world tracks have much lower elevation changes ?

Keep cycling through tracks until you get a lower number. I try to stay under 100ft for shorter tracks and under 200 for long tracks. But the number by itself doesn't tell the whole story. You have to read the terrain lines to see if your corners fall on a crest.

It seems PD doesn't want all track variations to be usable. They make most of them unusable. Yet another "Why, PD?"

It's because all of the track locations are set in montainous/hill terrain. Try the kart eifel (or Tokoy bay even) if you want a flatter track, you can still make quite long tracks with it, although a lot simpler and with no pits.

I hear this alot, but I have to disagree, some of the best real world tracks have elevation changes. Possibly the most famous corner in north america has extreme elevation changes (Laguna Seca's Corkscrew), and then there's the Nordschleife, lots of elevation changes there.

I personally love it, but I can understand the need for elevation adjustments to be able to fine tune tracks.

Yep, most of the worlds most famous racetracks have massive elevation differences, that's what makes them difficult and therefore famous.
Bathurst is a prime example, its on Mount Panorama... a mountain!

In regards to the track creator I find that the 'camber' function can cause quite big changes to the elevation.

I don't think it's the elevation change that's the problem, I think the fact that 90% of the time a crest lands on a corner is the problem. If you're mapping out a track in the real world you wouldn't have every crest co-inside with a corner.

Don't get me wrong, there's a couple of corners at the Nurburgring that corner on a crest but it doesn't throw your car out as much as what the track creator seems to do. A lot of tracks just become un-drivable.

I don't think it's the elevation change that's the problem, I think the fact that 90% of the time a crest lands on a corner is the problem. If you're mapping out a track in the real world you wouldn't have every crest co-inside with a corner.

Don't get me wrong, there's a couple of corners at the Nurburgring that corner on a crest but it doesn't throw your car out as much as what the track creator seems to do. A lot of tracks just become un-drivable.

Good points. I think a good solution would be to simply give us more controll over where our corners land in regards to crests and dips, plus it would just be an awesome addition to the course maker.

And like broncoxr8 mentioned play around with the camber a bit, it plays a huge role in elevation changes. I have one track that when the camber is cranked up a bit in one of the sections a jump shows up in a bad spot, but with a lower setting its fine.

I'm glad someone else has noticed it, I thought I was going crazy :crazy:

I don't know why PD made the camber have any effect on the elevation change, yes camber will have an elevation change from the inside through to the outside of the corner that's what camber is.
But what they have given us 'can' change the elevation on areas not even remotely close to the corner. One of my tracks where I have a chicane when the camber is cranked up it introduces a massive hump with a very tight downhill section leading into the chicane.

I do like the variety it throws up, but sometimes I want to keep that part of the track flat and add actual camber to the corner. :ouch:

Back