End of qualifying mode F1 in 2021?Formula 1 

I imagine the consensus elsewhere is because "Merc OP, nerf pls" but, like many other factors this year, they've simply maximised its potential to a degree that the other suppliers can't match. They'd still be comfortably clear in optimal conditions even if Party Mode was banned right this instant.

I imagine the consensus elsewhere is because "Merc OP, nerf pls" but, like many other factors this year, they've simply maximised its potential to a degree that the other suppliers can't match. They'd still be comfortably clear in optimal conditions even if Party Mode was banned right this instant.
I also think Mercedes has the best designed engine+parts and they can push it to (or even over) the limit for a while. Smart engineering and very innovative.

To be honest, the million different combinations of engine modes are stupid. The FIA just needs to be strong with the teams and say "you can have 5 engine modes. No more, no less". Let the teams declare what those modes are to the scrutineers at the beginning of the season like the gear ratios and be done with it.

And as expected now it is RedBulls turn. It seems the rear wing lowers 'automatically' 5cm on a long straight. Investigation started by FIA

What's the point if they cant push the cars to their limit?

What's also the point of this being done if everyone has a party mode of some sort? You're cutting a leg off everyone and undermining the whole 'pinnacle of motorsport and engineering' tagline.

IMO, F1 really should try to decide to either be the pinnacle of technology, or purely be an entertainment motorsport. It can't be both.

Pinnacle of technology would mean loosening the regs and not banning every single piece of innovation created by the teams (unless it's dangerous or obviously not in the spirit of the rules). This would mean bigger gaps between teams, but it is what it is. Just give them a max fuel consumption for the race and let them choose whatever engine layout/aspiration/mode they want to run. Movable aero, active suspension, 4WD, ground effect/fan technology, it's all game.

If they want to promote closer racing and increase entertainment, then just revert back to good old NA V12, manual gearbox, single plane front/rear wing and <600kg cars. Take off all telemetry and team radio, and just have a fuel and engine temp gauge in the cockpit. Forget about hybrids, saving the environment or trickling tech down to road cars. It should be the best drivers in the most spectacular and challenging cars duking it out on track instead of supercomputers on another continent crunching the best strategy and then relaying it to the guy driving.

Last edited:
F1 hasn't been the pinnacle of technology for a long, long time. That path killed Can-Am and it would have killed F1 too, IMHO.

On the other hand, it can't offend the grandee manufacturers by mandating 20th Century tech either. I boldly speculate they may rule in spec wheel guns. Maybe women could then change the tires during pit stops. Socially, that would bring the sport up to about 1972.

So in your opinion, what is? WEC?

IMHO, there is currently no pinnacle (in technology).
In a general sense is F1 the highest rank in the hierarchy of motorsport? Yes, of course.

I believe the Williams FW14B and FW15C are considered to be the most technologically advanced F1 cars.

Last edited:
Back