Endurance league bug?

• Thread starter wobbleguts
  • 16 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia
Australia
Hi,

I'm racing the GR1 Prototype Endurance Series (GT League) RACE 7. Using the McLaren VGT and enjoyed all the previous races. Enjoying this one as well but think there is a problem.

I know spa well and whiz round pretty fast, but the leader always stays about 35-50 seconds in front.

I started with an 8 lap strategy with RS tyres (ie, 3 stops with SS for the last 4 laps ). This worked well and I got silver both times (plus fastest lap). The cars behind me didn't even have a time recorded at the race end, but the winner was about 45 secs ahead of me all the time and finished that way as well. I just couldn't get any closer.

So tonight I changed tactics and went for a 2 stop strategy. I figured that was what the lead car was doing which would explain the 35+ second deficit. So I changed to RM and raced on FM3. It worked. I was able to get to about 10th when some of the other cars were pitting. I was about 38 secs behind the leader when he pitted and thought I would gain time - made no mistakes, but when he left the pits he was suddenly 1:08 ahead! WTF! He gains time in the pits!

Much later in the race the leader and 2nd placed car went to the pits. As I drove past the pit lane the deficit dropped to just 3 seconds - about what it should have been, but before I reached the corner it had jumped to over a minute again.

Known bug? Such a shame - otherwise a great race.

WG

Hi,

I'm racing the GR1 Prototype Endurance Series (GT League) RACE 7. Using the McLaren VGT and enjoyed all the previous races. Enjoying this one as well but think there is a problem.

I know spa well and whiz round pretty fast, but the leader always stays about 35-50 seconds in front.

I started with an 8 lap strategy with RS tyres (ie, 3 stops with SS for the last 4 laps ). This worked well and I got silver both times (plus fastest lap). The cars behind me didn't even have a time recorded at the race end, but the winner was about 45 secs ahead of me all the time and finished that way as well. I just couldn't get any closer.

So tonight I changed tactics and went for a 2 stop strategy. I figured that was what the lead car was doing which would explain the 35+ second deficit. So I changed to RM and raced on FM3. It worked. I was able to get to about 10th when some of the other cars were pitting. I was about 38 secs behind the leader when he pitted and thought I would gain time - made no mistakes, but when he left the pits he was suddenly 1:08 ahead! WTF! He gains time in the pits!

Much later in the race the leader and 2nd placed car went to the pits. As I drove past the pit lane the deficit dropped to just 3 seconds - about what it should have been, but before I reached the corner it had jumped to over a minute again.

Known bug? Such a shame - otherwise a great race.

WG
Do you have any video of this?

Do you have any video of this?
No. how would I record it anyway? Is there a tool?
Can't you just try playing that race yourself? If not send me instructions and gifts.

Replays don't show that information. Would have to do something extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
F8600A32-C94C-437B-A350-F5998283A44C.jpeg
Seems to be ok in my console

https://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/share/about_share.html

I could, but it's not my issue and I have little reason to tie myself up for an hour doing something that may not manifest on my console.
Sorry for the confussion. I thought that as you are an admin on this forum you worked for polyphony and would investigate this bug. Understand now this is not the case.

I will try the race again and report back. If the same thing happens I'll just skip to the next challenge and hope it doesn't happen again. ie, just a bug with this one race. Hope so.

Ok. tried again a few times and can confirm that this is a bug. In this race (GR1 Prototype Endurance Series (GT League) RACE 7), The computer cars pit and actually gain time while they are are being refueled.

eg, I was leading the field by about 2 seconds but was suddenly 30 seconds behind for no reason. WTF? Trying again, I was third about lap 24 and only about 5 secs behind the leader. The 2 lead cars pitted and as I drove past I went to 1 sec behind, then suddenly 30 secs behind! Weird stuff like this happens every race.

I like the spa circuit and know it well (virtually speaking). Would love to get a gold here but this bug is a bummer. Will it be fixed?

Ok. tried again a few times and can confirm that this is a bug. In this race (GR1 Prototype Endurance Series (GT League) RACE 7), The computer cars pit and actually gain time while they are are being refueled.
Again, do you have any video of this? The PS4 records everything it sees and showing evidence of this issue should be a matter of a press of a button.

Another user tried to replicate the issue and could not, which suggests that there is something else at play.

Edit: I was bored waiting for food, and did the race. The AI pitted as normal, losing around 30s for a full refuel, and I won by almost two laps.

That's two attempts to replicate the issue. You really need to provide some video evidence of this thing that happens for you, as I suspect you're just misreading something.

Last edited:

eg, I was leading the field by about 2 seconds but was suddenly 30 seconds behind for no reason. WTF? Trying again, I was third about lap 24 and only about 5 secs behind the leader. The 2 lead cars pitted and as I drove past I went to 1 sec behind, then suddenly 30 secs behind! Weird stuff like this happens every race.

I like the spa circuit and know it well (virtually speaking). Would love to get a gold here but this bug is a bummer. Will it be fixed?

What is your average laptime?
Also you are using RS tyres? And 3 stop.
RM lost grip at lap 8 or 9 for me. So RS would be toast at lap 6 I think?
My average lap was 2.02.000.
Like Famine, was almost 2lap lead at the end.

edit. AI is driving gr1hybrids. Those things can lap lot more than the thirsty maclaren.
So when theu stop, they dont need that much fuel.
Thats why the pit time difference??

Last edited:
Again, do you have any video of this? The PS4 records everything it sees and showing evidence of this issue should be a matter of a press of a button.

Another user tried to replicate the issue and could not, which suggests that there is something else at play.

Edit: I was bored waiting for food, and did the race. The AI pitted as normal, losing around 30s for a full refuel, and I won by almost two laps.

That's two attempts to replicate the issue. You really need to provide some video evidence of this thing that happens for you, as I suspect you're just misreading something.

Hi Famine,

Thanks for trying to replicate my bug. Much appreciated.

Despite this issue, I still enjoy the race and will try it a few more times. (I will also re-read the posts about recording a race and upload it so you can see the problem for yourself).

I forgot to mention that this bug works both ways. I've noticed that when I pit (and lose positions as other cars drive past), when I rejoin the race I suddenly move up the leader board again. For example, the last time I raced I came in for my 2nd pit stop placed 10th. Changed tyres and refueled for 8 laps so it took some time . While I was in there other cars whizzed by and my race position dropped from 10th to a miserable 17th. However, when I left the pit lane my position magically jumped to 11th! This is nonsensical and I jump positions/time every pit stop - just like the AI cars do.

I agree I may be misreading the data. But I haven't seen this issue in any GT campaign race before. Just seems odd.

What is your average laptime?
Also you are using RS tyres? And 3 stop.
RM lost grip at lap 8 or 9 for me. So RS would be toast at lap 6 I think?
My average lap was 2.02.000.
Like Famine, was almost 2lap lead at the end.

edit. AI is driving gr1hybrids. Those things can lap lot more than the thirsty maclaren.
So when theu stop, they dont need that much fuel.
Thats why the pit time difference??

Using RS tyres and 3 stop. Keep getting silver. Will try RM and see what happens.

You are way faster than me. My fastest lap was 2:04 something, but I always get the fastest race lap.

The problem with the pit stops is that the AI cars gain time while they are parked there - ie, a car can go into the pits 5 seconds ahead of you but come out 30 seconds ahead.

While I was in there other cars whizzed by and my race position dropped from 10th to a miserable 17th. However, when I left the pit lane my position magically jumped to 11th!
That's entirely normal for GTS - its timing system doesn't deal well with vehicles in the pits because they teleport from pit entry to pit box, then pit box to pit exit. When the cars fail to cross a mini-split (the one that updates your gaps every second or so) it acts like they have stopped on track. When they then cross the start/finish line in the pits it all goes a bit squiffy, and then it doesn't update properly until the cars leave the pits and cross a mini-split on track again.

Note that you didn't gain any positions or time in that stop, you lost one - from 10th to 11th. But you're claiming that AI cars gain 30s on the road from going into the pits:

I was about 38 secs behind the leader when he pitted and thought I would gain time - made no mistakes, but when he left the pits he was suddenly 1:08 ahead! WTF! He gains time in the pits!
...which is nonsensical, and why I keep asking you for video showing it. Your console records everything it sees. It takes a single button-press to capture the video showing it. Until you do that there's literally no point in any further posts.

I forgot to mention that this bug works both ways. I've noticed that when I pit (and lose positions as other cars drive past), when I rejoin the race I suddenly move up the leader board again. For example, the last time I raced I came in for my 2nd pit stop placed 10th. Changed tyres and refueled for 8 laps so it took some time . While I was in there other cars whizzed by and my race position dropped from 10th to a miserable 17th. However, when I left the pit lane my position magically jumped to 11th! This is nonsensical and I jump positions/time every pit stop - just like the AI cars do.

I agree I may be misreading the data. But I haven't seen this issue in any GT campaign race before. Just seems odd.

Isn't that just the normal way the game handles the position of pitting cars? When you enter the pit lane it's like the game stops keeping track of your position until you drive out again. When you finally do, your position is refreshed from your last tracked coordinate, effectively making you warp from the pit lane entry to the exit. That's why the jump in position happens, because some cars pass the pit entry but then you drive out again before they come past the exit.

Here's another example of that happening. If the exact position of cars was tracked while they're in the pits I would've never won this race:

However that bit about AI cars gaining 30 seconds in the pits sounds quite odd. The replay of that happening should look really weird too. I'm noticing quite often that the AI gains a few seconds on me in the pits. But it's usually not more than 5 or so.

edit: Ninja'd by Famine

Last edited:
That's entirely normal for GTS - its timing system doesn't deal well with vehicles in the pits because they teleport from pit entry to pit box, then pit box to pit exit. When the cars fail to cross a mini-split (the one that updates your gaps every second or so) it acts like they have stopped on track. When they then cross the start/finish line in the pits it all goes a bit squiffy, and then it doesn't update properly until the cars leave the pits and cross a mini-split on track again.

Note that you didn't gain any positions or time in that stop, you lost one - from 10th to 11th. But you're claiming that AI cars gain 30s on the road from going into the pits:

...which is nonsensical, and why I keep asking you for video showing it. Your console records everything it sees. It takes a single button-press to capture the video showing it. Until you do that there's literally no point in any further posts.
Remind me how to do the single button press.

Thanks sdi_03,

I sort of followed your advice. I started on RS (3 stop strategy) and intended to switch to SS on lap 24. But when I came in at lap 8 I got distracted and chose RM by mistake. I was doing pretty well (pitted 8th) so I thought WTF and carried on. Carried on doing well (leading) and got RMs again at lap 16. Swapped to SS at 24 and won by about 20 secs.

Thanks

Hi Famine,

I think I've figured out this bug/feature. When a car enters the pits normal time tracking stops for pitting duration until exit. The game removes the pitted cars real time until it rejoins the race. This means you could enter the home straight say 5 secs behind the pitted car, but that car is leaving the pit lane (not timed) and pops out further ahead.

For example, when I finally won this race I watched the replay and took a note of my race/pit stop positions. Can't give you times because replays don't show times (shame).

Pit 1: Came in 8th, while I was in there dropped to 18th, rejoined race and magically jumped to 15th. Pit 2: Came in 1st, dropped to 11th, exited 10th. Pit 3: Came in 1st, dropped to 4th, then jumped up to 2nd when exiting.

My exit positions are about what I would expect, but the positions shouldn't jump around like that. It's confusing.

I did a few practice laps of the next Porsche endurance challenge and can confirm the same thing happens - but not to the same degree and only because I was watching out for it. I think the reason I noticed it first in the GR1 Prototype Endurance Series (GT League) RACE 7 is because the pit lane is so long - the entire home straight - so the times/positions glitch is more obvious.

How do F1 handle timing when a car pits? Is the pitted car in time isolation or is it still in real time. Been so long since I saw a race I really can't remember.

Anyway, thanks for all your help on this. I did look at the instructions for recording a video but it seemed way more complicated than a single button press. There is a 'save replay' button in the game and it would be much better if they fixed the missing times etc on the replays so we could press that instead.

Thanks again

Hi Famine,

I think I've figured out this bug/feature. When a car enters the pits normal time tracking stops for pitting duration until exit. The game removes the pitted cars real time until it rejoins the race. This means you could enter the home straight say 5 secs behind the pitted car, but that car is leaving the pit lane (not timed) and pops out further ahead.
Yes:
But that is not what you described as happening:
I was about 38 secs behind the leader when he pitted and thought I would gain time - made no mistakes, but when he left the pits he was suddenly 1:08 ahead! WTF! He gains time in the pits!
I was leading the field by about 2 seconds but was suddenly 30 seconds behind for no reason. WTF? Trying again, I was third about lap 24 and only about 5 secs behind the leader. The 2 lead cars pitted and as I drove past I went to 1 sec behind, then suddenly 30 secs behind!
a car can go into the pits 5 seconds ahead of you but come out 30 seconds ahead.
You described it as the cars pitting, then gaining 30s in the pit stop, not as you passing the pit entrance and losing 30s by the time you passed the pit exit.

Of course that ought to have been obvious. You would have seen the gap shrink first, between the last mini-split before the pit entrance and the first one after it as the AI car pitted and you didn't, before it grew again. And it would have been 30s (or so) smaller than it was.

Anyway, thanks for all your help on this. I did look at the instructions for recording a video but it seemed way more complicated than a single button press.
You literally press the Share button on your controller to bring up the Share menu. Pressing the square button automatically saves the last 15 minutes of game play to your PS4's Capture Gallery. That's the whole process.

And since this is now redundant because it's not a bug...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back