Enemy Love

• Thread starter milefile
  • 28 comments
I want to know how this is justified:.

"Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those you hate you, and pray for those who despitefully use you, and persecute you that you may be the children of your father who is in heaven."

"But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you"

"If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink"

In this respect it would seem to me that our society is a thoroughly anti-christian society (except when it comes to domestic control). Regardless, it may be a good thing because this is the most counterintuitive principle I've ever heard. It says "allow yourself to be destroyed." It goes against the basic instincts of Life. It is thoroughly nihilistic.

What are examples of American society applying this principle in it's governance?

In order for this to work we need a definition of Love and of Enemy. I hope someone can provide these because the ones I know of make this principle absurd. It would mean that we Love Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussien.

Well? Where's the love?

I agree with your conclusions. I'd say that this advice can be used effectively on the micro level in certain instances.

It's virtually impossible to come up with a clear careful rule like that for all possible enemies and situations, and I don't think that one pulls it off well.

An opnipotent being couldn't have said what you wrote.

But, it never said you can't defend yourself.
Christ himself fell on money changers in the temple and bodily removed them.
Christ was gentle, but he was no wimp!

pfft,... that quote sounds like it was written by a real puss.

IMO,.. take your enemies head on,... kill'em all and let 'god' sort 'em out.

Their your enemy for a reason,. the minute you streach out your hand, then turn your back,.. you'll feel the knife go in it.

Every man for himself,... thats the only sure way to come out a winner.

Originally posted by Red Eye Racer

Their your enemy for a reason,. the minute you streach out your hand, then turn your back,.. you'll feel the knife go in it.

:lol: The perfect antithesis!

Originally posted by Red Eye Racer

Yeah, really. What's the point of trying to aid your enemy, unless you're not seriously in some sort of conflict?

Originally posted by M5Power
Yeah, really. What's the point of trying to aid your enemy, unless you're not seriously in some sort of conflict?
Because, without meaning to, you may cultivate a friend. And in so doing, end the conflict.
Remember Grade school. The guy that picked on you incessantly. Right up to the point that you "ran out of cheeks" and beat his a**? In my case this guy became one of my best friends.
Jesus meant for us to be kind. Nowhere does it say "be a doormat".
I've taken more than my fair share of crap growing up. Probably because I was kind, and maybe a little goofy with my horn-rim glasses. I have also talked my way out of more bad situations than I've had to fight my way out of. That's my interpretation.
If you go back to the old testament, there are many instances of God's people bringing unbearable violence on their enemies, who often had them out numbered and out gunned.

Originally posted by Gil
Because, without meaning to, you may cultivate a friend. And in so doing, end the conflict.
Remember Grade school. The guy that picked on you incessantly. Right up to the point that you "ran out of cheeks" and beat his a**? In my case this guy became one of my best friends.
Jesus meant for us to be kind. Nowhere does it say "be a doormat".
I've taken more than my fair share of crap growing up. Probably because I was kind, and maybe a little goofy with my horn-rim glasses. I have also talked my way out of more bad situations than I've had to fight my way out of. That's my interpretation.
If you go back to the old testament, there are many instances of God's people bringing unbearable violence on their enemies, who often had them out numbered and out gunned.

HAHAHA!!! Gil with horn-rim glasses! HAHAHAHA!!!!!

I think the idea is to prevent the 'cycle of revenge', that we're seeing so clearly demonstrated in the Israel-Palestine conflict. If you take the hit, and don't retaliate, then you don't get into that cycle.

Of course, the definition of 'defending yourself' is a rubbery one - I'm inclined to think running a bulldozer through the family home of a suicide bomber probably doesn't strictly fall within the definition...

Originally posted by rjensen11
HAHAHA!!! Gil with horn-rim glasses! HAHAHAHA!!!!!
Yes, horn-rims. It was the early '70's after all. I also had a Charlie Brown lunch-box made of tin. And I used it once or twice to bludgeon enemies that weren't smart enough to let me walk away a "coward". :mischievous:

Originally posted by vat_man
I think the idea is to prevent the 'cycle of revenge', that we're seeing so clearly demonstrated in the Israel-Palestine conflict. If you take the hit, and don't retaliate, then you don't get into that cycle.

This is also stated somewhere in the Bible, I forget what the passage is exactly or where in the Bible it is, but it basically says "Seek Justice, not Vengence."

Originally posted by DGB454
Christian people?
I knew that's where you were headed.

You're right - no Christians have ever committed acts of violence. It's the other groups, because their Bible is weak.

Originally posted by DGB454
Where is most of the voilence in the world comming from?
Including street violence. Who is starting it?

Ignorant people. I wish you were around a thousand years ago. You could've stopped the crusades. Or maybe you would've been burned at the stake for mentioning it at all.

The fact of the matter is this: Christianity has the bloodiest, most violent history of any religion. It even surpases that of Islam, which has a lot of catch up to do if it wishes to claim that title. It is also worth noting the mainstream Islam is not responsible for violent acts, but rather a handful of splinter cults of Islam. However, in Christianity's more murderous days there were no splinter cults. The one and only Christian church conducted the crusades and the inquisitions. Both of these events repeated themselves, over and over, for hundreds of years. In general Western civilization is less ignorant than it was. This tends to remain true at all times. When was Christianity forced to cease and desist it's campaign of terror? When Western civilization started to become secular.

You have to make the distinction between Jesus Christ and Christianity as an historical institution.

"Violence", as we understand it in our culture, took shape and was forged in the ovens of Christianity. The past is all we have to go on. It is all there already is. Dismissing it out of hand is weak. The least you could do is confront it.

Back