Engine Break In..*Frustrated*

  • Thread starter Thread starter AE86DR1FTK1NG
  • 27 comments
  • 3,267 views
Messages
7
So Ive been asking people on GT5 online and looking on the internet for answers on how long it takes to break in your engine. Ive seen and heard answers from 100-500 miles, does it depend on the car? because man...Ive been driving my 99 DC2 around forever..well for atleast 300miles or so and tried to do the engine overhaul but I see no results in my HP..wtf is going on..I change the oil constantly and do the engine overhaul once in a while. Costs me about Cr.13,000. Its not much but is there any way to speed this crap up? I mean I did the Daytona(2.5miles) in practice mode and ran it for like 40 laps..on top of that I did Special Stage 7 which is (14.7miles) or so and the Turbo single race in expert like 30+ times on the High Speed Ring(7.46miles x3)

:scared::crazy::ouch::sick::grumpy::yuck:
 
If I want to break a car in I give it to Bob and let him run the first endurance race... He may not win but the car will be ready for primetime afterward.
 
Don't do an engine overhaul until you've done thousands of miles with the car. You'll need to break the engine in all over again! Just oil changes should give you the best results.
 
Don't do an engine overhaul until you've done thousands of miles with the car. You'll need to break the engine in all over again! Just oil changes should give you the best results.

omg -_-" no wonder why its take forever long *Sigh :indiff:
 
Don't do an engine overhaul until you've done thousands of miles with the car. You'll need to break the engine in all over again! Just oil changes should give you the best results.

And I thought this was only a few hundred miles..not thousands is it?
 
And I thought this was only a few hundred miles..not thousands is it?

I do oil changes quite frequently... Indeed after a few hundred miles, after a long championship or after an endurance race.

They're only 250cr. so it's more a hassle than a cost issue.
 
It's also frustrating when your FGT is supposed to have 950hp like everyone elses but yours is stuck at 935 :(
 
Ok some misinformation going on here. Only new cars need to be broken in, and only one time. If you can rebuild the engine, it's broken in. Rebuilt engines, and used cars need no break in. I believe the break in mileage is about 200 miles. My blue FGT from ucd, after being rebuilt, has 935hp. I've never heard a claim of 950hp before.
 
New engine=change oil->do a couple of 100 miles->change oil=Broken in

When the engine is fully broken in, you maintain it by changing oil once in a while.

When you do the enging rebuild, the HP will decrease. So there is no way you can keep an engine at peak power for ever. Highest HP numbers rached will be after a few 100 miles and you 2:nd oil change. After thet, it goes down no matter what you do with the engine.
 
I don't know if this could help but when I first bought my FGT in the OCD with close to 5000 km on it, the engine was good for 949 hp after oil change... I rebuilted the engine after it was only delivering 925 hp after oil change, and it came back right away to 949hp, without any break-in period.
 
When you do the enging rebuild, the HP will decrease. So there is no way you can keep an engine at peak power for ever. Highest HP numbers rached will be after a few 100 miles and you 2:nd oil change. After thet, it goes down no matter what you do with the engine.
That's not true. My grind cars (one of my X2010's and one of my FGT's) which between them have done around 80,000 miles (30,000 on the X2010 and 50,000 on the FGT) have had several engine rebuilds each (I think two on the X2010 and three on the FGT) and both still have exactly the same horsepower as my other ones which have all only done a few hundred miles a piece.

The engine rebuild puts the power exactly where it was when it was new just after it's first oil change. :)
 
It only takes me a few laps to break in the engine then an oil change.
 
Break a car in to around 1,000 miles or more and go to rebuild engine and you'll know it's broken in if it costs $500,000. If it's only $10,000+ do oil changes. I put over 1000mi on my NASCAR every night and I'm not gonna rebuild the engine yet, I run it at 892hp and just have to change oil every night after races. I'm at 13k miles with my NASCAR now I love how it runs but by the end of night it doesn't perform as well. I'm waiting to hit around 25k mi before I rebuild. Oil definitely helps because other friends of mine that don't run oil changes are always amazed how I accelerate a whole lot faster on the first lap.
 
Rebuild costs do not vary on the same car. It is always the same every time, but is different from car to car.
 
Buy three cars that are exactly the same. Run them to about the same mileage aim for 2000 miles. Leave one alone, oil change another and rebuild the other. Then you will know which one your particular car needs. But from my experience oil change always improves overall performance
 
Rebuild costs do not vary on the same car. It is always the same every time, but is different from car to car.

I thought so for a minute but I was never sure because everything like this in the game is typically subtle but you will notice in lap times the difference
 
That's not true. My grind cars (one of my X2010's and one of my FGT's) which between them have done around 80,000 miles (30,000 on the X2010 and 50,000 on the FGT) have had several engine rebuilds each (I think two on the X2010 and three on the FGT) and both still have exactly the same horsepower as my other ones which have all only done a few hundred miles a piece.

The engine rebuild puts the power exactly where it was when it was new just after it's first oil change. :)

What is not true is your statement.

My X2010 has 74,000miles on the clock right now, and no matter what you do, rebuild, oil change, etc it will NEVER reach 1554 again. The max it will go now is around 1440hp. Cars will eventually lose around 10% of their total power and stay right there.
 
What is not true is your statement.

My X2010 has 74,000miles on the clock right now, and no matter what you do, rebuild, oil change, etc it will NEVER reach 1554 again. The max it will go now is around 1440hp. Cars will eventually lose around 10% of their total power and stay right there.

If you don't believe me I'll post photos. The X2010 has still got all 1554bhp after 30,000 miles and two engine rebuilds.
 
And do you change you're oil after a few laps?. It goes back up to 1554... :)

TwinTurbo is correct. Regularly Change Oil and do an Engine Overhaul and you're car will maintain it's peak power!. i have over 40k on my FGT and it hasn't dropped from it's peak power!.
 
So if I rebuild the engine than basically I have to start all over again from 0miles or no? and I have to run atleast 1000miles to break in correct?
 
At first you have 0 mies on a car from the dealership.. say you have the (X2010).. do an oil change as soon as you buy it.. as you get further in to using it you see the HP grow slightly.. when it stops growing Rebuild the engine.. you're car maintains it's mileage when you look at its stats!. now all you need to do to maintain its peak power is consistantly change oil and rebuild engine :)
 
What happens if you buy a new car from the dealership and don't do an oil change immediately? Will it peak out at a lower figure after break in period and then stay there through all later rebuilds and oil changes?

Could that be why some guys say they have cars below the peak power of others?
 
if you dont change oil then your losing out in power to begin with.. but no every car has a set power peak and once its met its met.. you dont get higher or lower! it's better if you oil change the car straight from the dealer as you gain around an average of 20hp straight from that after purchasing :)
 
Proper steps for Maximum HP after buying a new car:
1. Change to high performance oil.
2. Drive the car for at least 150 miles.
3. Note when hp is no longer increasing. This is your max hp.

Proper Maintenance for Maximum HP:
A. Change oil any time you notice your max hp is lower.
B. Rebuild engine if you do not reach max hp after oil change.
C. If you change oil/rebuild engine and do not match your max hp, then you will never achieve it again, i.e. the car is too old.

The process is more arbitrary for used cars, because it's not always clear what the max HP was to begin with. Also remember that if you add/remove performance parts, it doesn't affect the base engine power; it just adds or subtracts an amount. Therefore if you want to make sure you are getting max HP with a new car, install all the parts you plan to use before driving any so you'll know what the base number is.
 
C. If you change oil/rebuild engine and do not match your max hp, then you will never achieve it again, i.e. the car is too old.

+1 This is what I was saying, I am not sure why these people think it will stay the same always. As stated 78K on my X2010 max HP after rebuild/oil 1440. Thats 154hp less than peak and is right about the 10% power loss over time, which has been stated in countless threads already on here.
 
+1 This is what I was saying, I am not sure why these people think it will stay the same always. As stated 78K on my X2010 max HP after rebuild/oil 1440. Thats 154hp less than peak and is right about the 10% power loss over time, which has been stated in countless threads already on here.


I understood it but I was just looking for the right answer to how many mileage. And after I hit the mileage point does the HP show or drop instantly or do I have to wait a while for it to show?
 
Back