Engine sounds

• Thread starter Ryan81
  • 27 comments
Good evening everyone!

Ok just to start off by saying that I have played every GT game since the release of the original in 1997. Back then, the public could excuse PD for not creating authentic engine sounds as technology was relatively backward by today's standards.

However, why do GTS' engine sounds give off a muted and rather lacklustre tone? Some are better than others sure but overall when you hear Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, Driveclub and even Forza, they all have superior car sounds. I was just tearing down Brands Hatch in a Ferrari 512 S and it gave me goosebumps to how accurate it sounded.
Same with the Mazda 787B in AC.
Yet a Diablo GT in GTS sounds like a muffled 200hp sports car by comparison. Why is this??

How can you complain about sounds and not tell us what you are using to hear it? Headphones, TV speaker, surround sound, high end equipment or low end, with subwoofer, without? What are your settings in the game, you know the volume level of many of the sounds can be changed, right? These threads are silly, people go on and on about sound but if you are listening through a crappy TV speaker your opinion is pretty much invalidated right out of the box.

How can you complain about sounds and not tell us what you are using to hear it? Headphones, TV speaker, surround sound, high end equipment or low end, with subwoofer, without? What are your settings in the game, you know the volume level of many of the sounds can be changed, right? These threads are silly, people go on and on about sound but if you are listening through a crappy TV speaker your opinion is pretty much invalidated right out of the box.
Waow

The quality of your playback equipment isnt the problem.

its the quality if the original source recordings or whether they used recordings at all.

I'd put it like this... when Forza 4 first came out with the 787B the sound quality was better than what Gran Turismo ever had and still to this day, Gran Turismo have no bettered Turn 10's recordings.

As much as we like the Sauber C9 Silk Cut Jaguar and R92CP their sound isnt great.

He compared sounds on his audio system. Dosn´t matter what system, the compared games sounds better then g-ts.
If you hear gt-s on a 10k$ THX hifi it sounds better then on plastic 2$ earplugs, yes. But every other game also sounds better, you understand?
So the system is not relevant.

I agree with the OP! Have Forza and while I prefer GTS gamep lay, Forza car engine audio files kick GTS butt! The cars sound like real cars on Forza, case in example is the Porsche if you can compare both, Forza sounds like the real deal, GTS sounds abnormal....

Good evening everyone!

Ok just to start off by saying that I have played every GT game since the release of the original in 1997. Back then, the public could excuse PD for not creating authentic engine sounds as technology was relatively backward by today's standards.

However, why do GTS' engine sounds give off a muted and rather lacklustre tone? Some are better than others sure but overall when you hear Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, Driveclub and even Forza, they all have superior car sounds. I was just tearing down Brands Hatch in a Ferrari 512 S and it gave me goosebumps to how accurate it sounded.
Yet a Diablo GT in GTS sounds like a muffled 200hp sports car by comparison. Why is this??
It's better then before moving in the right direction.

The quality of the audio sounds have improved considerably since GT6. I use headphones and a decent set up.

What they haven't mastered yet is the 'raw scream' of the cars engines especially the V6, V8, V12 engines being thrashed at the top of the rev ranges 6-10k revs. They all seem to sound very similar (I can't describe the sound but it is the same sound on each car-apart from a few).

In comparison AC, PC2 + Forza7 do have the engines scream right to the limits which makes a difference.

I hope they work on the audio (maybe in a future patch) or new cars that are introduced.

I drive a 5.0L V8 car and when it is pushing 5.5-6k revs the engine is nearly singing on full orchestra not like in GTS mid tone.

Interesting to read people's responses. I would agree that the sounds are better than previous GT installments but are still inferior to most other games on the market (haven't heard the cars in Crew 2 yet)

My TV is a £150 Samsung HD flat screen which I purchased about 3 years ago. Works like a treat, as I said, PC2 and AC sound incredible. Sounds and feels like you are actually there; only thing missing is the smell of petrol and burning rubber!

Just find it odd that such a renowned and obviously competent company like PD can create games with amazing visuals and presentation but can't nail the audio...

Not the best, but PD has improve very much.

Mustang

Veneno

Cayman GT4 CS

Enzo

911 GT3 RS

The accuracy of the right tone whether it be an inline 6, v6, v8 and so on is there.
But what is missing is the intensity (volume of the engine "screaming") increasing as the car goes to mid-to-high RPM range.
While PD mastered the doppler effect nicely throughout the ages it still lacks volume and charcteristic in the tone compared to let's say R3E.
The sounds are great but far from being "mean" or alive like you are actually there.

Aaaaah DriveClub, now that had some good engine note sounds.

As for GT it's ok but I agree with others that the really powerful cars lack that rasp, snort, gargle, popping and rage they should.

Last edited:
I accidentally discovered a way of enhancing the sound in bumper cam.
While driving, simply toggle through the camera views and the mix becomes more exhaust heavy.
It will reset if you use the look back button but not if you use the left stick to check your 6.

GTSport's audio is superior to Forza 7. I think it's on par with PCARS as well.

AC and Raceroom are the clear victors with DC slightly lagging behind.

GTSport's audio is superior to Forza 7. I think it's on par with PCARS as well.

AC and Raceroom are the clear victors with DC slightly lagging behind.
I don't feel it is superior rather than a bit more accurate, Forza still creates a unique sound experience containing the intensity of screaming engine or so but they have seem to fail to deliver this year around making sounds too dramatic or high pitched in comparison to IRL.
Project Cars misses a few sound effects but still creates a far better sound experience overall.
At this point every game has it's flaws but in no way despite an improvement GTS is more superior in "sound".

In my opinion Forza engine sounds are not better than GTS listen for example Bugatti Chiron in Forza it sounds like a nascar while in GTS it sounds pretty accurate to the real engine interior sounds different than exterior and that gear changing sound.

"I" think GTS is the most "accurate" of them all... from the videos I've watched online.
I'm not saying they are the most exciting... but most accurate. Some of the other games seem to take liberties and add cadence/reverberations/drama that just are not there, or, even try and make the car sound similar inside as it does outside. In the other games I've even heard inline 4cylinders that sound amazingly like a 90* V8... what? Sure is exhilarating... but not accurate
My Mustang is a solid cam, 8000rpm small displacement (for a USA V8) screamer... while I've only ever heard it from outside at an idle, or in videos (which I don't know how accurate they have recorded) it is a nasty little piece of machinery... but from inside the car it is absolutely dulled.
So, from inside the car, it's a totally different experience... now throw a helmet on at the track, and it's another experience all together.
What has PD aimed for?
For my ear, in cockpit or bumper, it seems like it's from inside the helmet... and from outside it's accuracy vs excitement.

I disagree. Forza has always been king but 7’s sounds are awful. So overdone. Forza 5 had best sounds imo, certainly the best replay sounds of any game to date. AC has great exhaust sounds (Merc GTS GT3) but intake sound is terrible (try the e92 m3). I don’t think much of PC’s sounds at all. I mute it on replays.

GTS has the best rounded sound of any current game I think.

The most frustrating example of GTS engine sound is Porsche 911 turbo I guess. I have never been in a race car, but when I got a lift on autobahn from a guy driving 911 turbo, sitting on the back seat with the engine behind I thought we were sitting in a military jet. The engine sound just exploded as the guy accelerated to 200 kph in a few seconds. Compare this experience with the car engine sound in the game and you will feel, no way, not 911 turbo, rather an electric car. No, increasing volume does not help. No I don't believe you wear a helmet unless you are in a race car. No, I don't believe stock 911 turbo is a race car. GTS is so much more about the blue skies and sunset and birds chirping and flowers blooming than the goosebumps you get from driving a race car. There are games where it is much closer to the real feeling. Dirt Rally, the engine sound is very close to what you hear when you drive an actual car. Much much closer. So don't tell me it cannot be done in video games.

I had the PS audio go to my 100w stereo and 5' tower speakers for a while. It was too much when the windows started rattling. Definitely better than TV speakers but distracting when trying to concentrate on racing.

Race cars in GTSport is way too mellow to me. AMG GT3 for example sounds nothing like the real thing. What PD get right is the cabin sound simulation in most road cars in the game. It's the best in the market, IMO.

Good evening everyone!

I've seen so many people praising the sound in Assetto Corsa, but i never liked it. In fact, it is one of the worst on the market in my opinion. ACC does the sounds much better than original AC

As for the GT Sport, sounds are really nice. There might be small nitpicks here and then, but it is a HUGE improvement over the rubbish that we had in GT5

I guess it is a matter of preference to some point?

I have been a fan of car sounds for a long, long time. GTS is average in this area.

GTS has progressed compared to previous games, that's for sure. The cars do sound very good on cockpit view, they did a good job on acoustics. I also appreciate the inclusion of misc sounds such as exhaust pops, gravel hitting the chassis, transmission whine and better tire sounds.

However the problems present in the external sounds are many. There is not even a single exhaust note that I consider accurate or somehow realistic. Honestly, it lacks everything. This is the main reason why I hardly play this game nowadays.

Back