Enough speed for you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PrinceAsh7
  • 12 comments
  • 1,026 views

Top Speed for me?

  • 260+

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • 230 - 259

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 200 - 229

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 180 - 199

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • 155 (German standard)

    Votes: 3 14.3%

  • Total voters
    21
Messages
337
Canada
Canada
Messages
PrinceAsh
Hello GT Fans,
I'm curious as to how everyone feels speed is portrayed in this game.
Yes, i'm aware there are speed demons in this game that go near enough 260mph+
however, on a real track, what do you believe is "enough top end speed" ?
For me personally, I find that 220-225 mph is more than enough. I'd rather have quicker acceleration, rather than top speed.

Anyone else feel this way? or is it just me. I know this is a video game, however I feel that going 260+ mph is a bit silly and ruins the immersion of the title.
 
What track? At Le Mans without corners in the Muslane straight (still to come to GTS) - 400 km/h.

Around most of the other tracks, 300/320 km/h is more than enough.

But I mostly drive Gr.3 cars and their top speed of ~260/270 is good enough for great close racing.
 
Depends entirely on the track. Most FIA GT races you're only going to hit a top speed of maybe 275, and that's fine enough for me.
 
Yeah, i should of mentioned track, but I thought "In general". for me even long straights, 225mph is enough. theres always drafting.
 
When you're faster than everyone else. That's when you've got enough.
so then why dont all car or racing companies make their cars go 500mph. I think at a certain point, top speed becomes irrelevant. its more to do with the best handling and acceleration out of a corner.
 
188 to 199 mph is more than enought for GT3 and LMP 1 cars, 155 mph for road cars is also enough for most road cars and tracks.
 
Up to 199 is more than enough for me as I'm not a fan of cars that can go quicker. They're above my pay grade.
 
so then why dont all car or racing companies make their cars go 500mph. I think at a certain point, top speed becomes irrelevant. its more to do with the best handling and acceleration out of a corner.
There is no straight long enough on any racing circuit that would enable you do to 500mph, and you also need fuel efficiency and reliability whilst being legal for the rules of the series.

To go back to your point of 225 being enough, there is no point in racing at an unchicaned Le Mans saying 225 is enough when everyone else is doing 240. As @zzz_pt pointed out, the top speed recorded at Le Mans is 407km/h or 253mph. Now, that car dind't do anything else during the race, but the Jaguar XJR9 and Merc C9 were doing upwards of 240mph, so your 225 is slow. But 225 is a fantasy in a 2CV race.

So to go back to the question. There is no arbitrary figure that is enough, but you need to be on at least a par with, and preferably faster than, the guys you are racing with.
 
Bit of a weird question. It all depends on the car and track.
 
Be smooth and in control and speed becomes a byproduct
 
To me it depends on how drivable a Car actually is. If I can get in a good flow and do not have to „work“ too much to keep the Car balanced than Top speed doesn’t matter.

Edit: I voted for German Standard(Autobahn):D
 
Yeah i should of specified by track, but i mean't in general. like a normal technical track. not an oval of some kind.
 
Back