Enthusia problems

• Thread starter Barracuda
  • 22 comments
Boss-Barracuda
I just started to play enthusia but i have been having the worst time driving any of the cars. Its like i have to drift just to drive and i always lose control. Is there any way to set the cars so that they actually drive instead of just massively oversteering?

I don't want to put you off from the game, but I'm afraid most of your solution is going to be a change in driving style. It's a big switch from GT4, but once you get used to it you'll be able to go back and forth without much trouble.

Here are some tips I can give you (I'm going to try to cover all the bases, so please don't think I'm patronizing you):

- Try to brake earlier. Unlike GT4, Enthusia simulates brake lock, at least in some situations. If you fly into a corner and turn-in while braking, your rears will lock -- you might as well have pulled the handbrake. Feathering the brakes helps too, but is pretty hard to do on the DS2.

- Be careful with the throttle. Enthusia's simulation of wheelspin, and the rear-end "stepping out" under power (with RWD and some AWD cars), are both more accurate than in GT4. In the middle of a corner with a powerful-enough RWD car, it can only take a moment on-throttle to enter a slide. If you're using the DS2, I recommend using the X button instead of the stick, which has a poor analog range.

- Pay attention to weight transfer. It matters more in Enthusia than it does in GT4. Especially since lift-off (off-throttle) oversteer is actually simulated (unlike in GT4 -- sensing a trend yet?). GT4 lets you go willy-nilly with the steering, brakes, and throttle -- it'll mostly just understeer. Enthusia requires more of a deft touch, lest you find yourself flying backwards into a wall.

- Try not to downshift while cornering. Enthusia simulates "shift-lock" oversteer, as the Japanese call it. And you guessed it -- GT4 doesn't. Downshifting mid-corner not only "jolts" the driveline and can break traction, it can also lead to off-throttle oversteer (as above).

- Practice and get a feel for the steering response (with a DS2) or force feedback (with a DFP/G25). That's pretty much the only way to learn to avoid overcorrection.

- Use a newer car. I'm not joking -- for whatever reason, Enthusia seems to give older cars "older" tires with less grip. Consequently, '60s cars are great for big, long, showy drifts. :D For most people this is the biggest problem, because they went straight for the Enthusia Life mode and picked something old as a starter car (I don't really remember what there was to choose from).

Aside from all of that, there's a tuning menu, albeit a simplistic one. All you have to do is watch the bars above the settings to see what you're doing, if you didn't already know that stuff. Just try setting your car towards understeer and/or a slower cornering response.

I'm actually past the problem for now.

I started out with the mini cooper which was an enormous disappointment as it had the worst understeer. I then went to the MG and 180sx which both had tremendous oversteer. I finally remembered that the beetle steered quite well from doing those speed tests or whatever they're called so from there i raced until i got the 350z. I was skeptical as all the other FR cars had tremendous oversteer, but to my surprise it handles like a dream. Absolutely no oversteer even powering through the corners.

This game is a lot harder than gt4 like you said. Thats actually all i was thinking when i was having the oversteer problems "Why cant this game be like gt4 :grumpy:", lol.

I started out with the mini cooper which was an enormous disappointment as it had the worst understeer.
You need to have pretty sticky rubber to make up for those small tires. Tune it up to level 10 and give it a LSD and it becomes much better. It's still a FWD, but it's better. :)

I then went to the MG...which...had tremendous oversteer.
I don't believe you. :P

...i got the 350z. I was skeptical as all the other FR cars had tremendous oversteer, but to my surprise it handles like a dream. Absolutely no oversteer even powering through the corners.
Yup. Like I said, newer cars just have better tires by default.

This game is a lot harder than gt4 like you said. Thats actually all i was thinking when i was having the oversteer problems "Why cant this game be like gt4 :grumpy:", lol.
There's no reward if there's no challenge. ;)

Be smooth. In EPR one must learn to modulate both acceleration, braking and turning.

reading your post, I assume you went straight to Enthusia Life before you made the "Driving Revolution" levels. I strongly suggest you to do these first. You'll drive all kinds of cars, and those levels aren't about "going from A to B as fast as possible" (only a few of them are).

Instead, they force you to do things that really look stupid, but that teach you everything you need to know about the game's physics (again: accelerating, braking, turning) and how different cars are REALLY different.

In Enthusia Life, avoid the TVR Tamora :D

Out of all the races i've done, the hardest was when i had first got my 350z (fairlady whatever) and they put me against an slr. I was fighting just to stay ahead and pretty much lost all my points in the process.

I just did a bunch of races and they are getting pretty annoying. I haven't even won anything good yet. I keep saying come on viper, come on stratos, and what do i get, a smart :grumpy:, lol

This game is really challenging because i am still very used to gt4's physics, though i am getting better.

One question, if i move to a different car, do i have to do races to raise it's tuning level?

EDIT: one more thing, any advice on tuning for better performance. My 350z is getting a bit out of hand as it's getting faster and could use a good tuning.

Yes, to level up a car you must race with it. To level it up fast, win races with a minimum loss of Enthu points.

I'm not sure you'll like the Stratos. Very powerful car, with 1970's handling, brakes and tyres. EPR doesn't forgive much if the real car isn't supposed to be a forgiving one ...

About tuning, I never tune the cars in EPR, so I can't help you there ...

I wasn't saying the stratos as a full on car to use, I meant it more as i wanted to unlock it to just test drive it a bit and to have it in my garage.

Another question, if I switch to a different car, will my 350z still be tuned to lvl 5?

Diablo, do u use a wheel or DS2??? reason I ask is i had alot of trouble starting out with DS2. Regarding the mini, I found I had troubles with lift off oversteer when I went back to redo my enthusia life(new game) and lost valuable points becouse I hadnt driven FF for a while(forgot to correct oversteer in FF U basically GAS IT with little to no countersteer)(bless u EPR physics).Regarding older cars sliding more ,I think EPR may have modelled them with Crossplys as correct for there period instead of later radial steel belted rubber.....just a guess.

PS welcome to the best console driving sim (physics wise included)

I have a G25 in which i tried to start with but failed horribly as im not even used to gt4 with my G25 yet. You could say that that is a good thing though. I won't have to go through the same crap i am with the controller because i haven't yet had much of any experience on either game with my G25

I actually haven't gotten the game yet, im renting it, but the game definitely seems worthy of a purchase.

Off topic but it seems like whenever i rent a game, I always end up wanting to buy it. The last game i rented was TDU which i bought and played for a LONG time.

I just did a bunch of races and they are getting pretty annoying. I haven't even won anything good yet.
I wasn't saying the stratos as a full on car to use, I meant it more as i wanted to unlock it to just test drive it a bit and to have it in my garage.
If you just want to try out certain cars, it may be more worth your time to unlock them for Free Race/Time Attack by either doing Driving Revolution, or racing against them in Free Race and winning without getting a black flag.

In case you didn't know, even if you do eventually add one of your favorite cars to your "garage" in Enthusia Life, it won't count in any of the other modes, just Enthusia Life.

one more thing, any advice on tuning for better performance. My 350z is getting a bit out of hand as it's getting faster and could use a good tuning.
As I mentioned, the bars at the top of the tuning screen will give you an idea of how the car will behave afterwards. There isn't much for us to tell you other than to adjust it to the level of understeer/oversteer and responsiveness you want. :)

One piece of advice I have is that giving your car an LSD (even if you "lock" the diff completely, it's still just limited-slip) is a double-edged sword. Every LSD in this game appears to be a 2-way, or at least a 1.5-way, so be wary of lift-off oversteer (as I mentioned before).

man i miss this game...my friend just HAD to accidentally drop the disc and scratch it:ouch:
Disk doctor? Find a new copy for cheap?

Yep, but you have to leave everything at default (medium difficulty or above, default number of laps (3), no changing the grid), and you have to win without getting a black flag.

You can unlock the reverse version of each track by doing the same thing on its regular version. Three laps of the Nürburgring without a black flag is time consuming, to say the very least. :)

I still cant play GT4. Now that i have the G25 wheel, Enthusia is that much better. Too bad about not being able to use the clutch though.

Anyone here have Forza2? How does that compare to Enthusia?

just a question, how is the soundtrack in Enthusia, im not usually one for petty crap like this, but gosh, GT4's sucked.
all the reviews for Enthusia are one star, so I was skeptical that there must be an Enthusia 2, but I suppose not. Are the graphics good? I'm waiting for my g25 to arive, and so far have, TXRD2, GT4, GT2, and Collin McRae rally(1), LFS, and GTR2 demo, so would this be worthy graphics wise & REAL driving wise to these games?

On the whole, Enthusia has better special effects than GT4 and car models that are just as good, if not better. On the other hand, GT4 has higher-resolution textures and better trackside scenery.

The music in Enthusia isn't licensed, so if you don't like "videogame music" in general then you probably won't like it. A lot of it is a sort of "electro-jazz," but a couple tracks are straight-up (dated) rock 'n' roll, others lean more towards electronic, and a few feature orchestral themes. In my opinion it's all hit-and-miss, with some songs that I really like and some that I can't stand.

Back