Estimated Pit Stop Duration?

• Thread starter Guffaluff
  • 28 comments
Iceland
Iceland
Guffaluff
Hello all.

I have been wondering. We have all kinds of data gathered and compiled by users, for example the excellent Fuel and Tire thread, and the BoP tables, but is there info anywhere on pit stop times? By that I mean, estimated time to complete a full pitstop, as it can be quite different between tracks.

Did a search but came up empty, so please link me if this data is already available :)

I have always wondered about that, due to the fact that when you enter the pits on some of the tracks, like Blue Moon Bay, it seemingly teleports you to the pit box. I have also noticed by watching replays that everyone has the same pitbox.

I tested GR.3 on Bathurst and GR.1 on Sarthe while driving AT.

Mount Panorama

Top 5 best pit times

30.280 Hyundai Genesis (48% Fuel)
30.347 Mazda Atenza (48% fuel)
30.347 Honda NSX (48% fuel)
30.380 Ferrari Italia 458 (48% fuel)
30.698 Lexus RC F GT3 (51% fuel)

Top 5 worst pit times

36.104 Toyota GR Supra (89% fuel)
35.336 Volkswagen Beetle GR3 (83% fuel)
35.318 Corvette C7 (84% fuel)
35.109 Volkswagen GTI VGT (82% fuel)
34.768 Ford GT LM Spec II (79% fuel)

Sarthe

Top 5 best pit times

35.934 Toyota TS050 Hybrid '16 (40%)
36.269 Dodge SRT Tomahawk (42%)
36.820 Mazda LM55 VGT
36.903 Peugeot 908 HDi Team Peugeot (46%)
37.638 Alpine VGT '17 (51%)

Top 5 worst pit time

40.774 Audi R18 (74%)
40.624 Sauber Mercedes C9 '89 (73%)
40.591 Hyundai N 2025 VGT (72%)
40.340 Mazda 787B '91 (70%)
40.390 McLaren VGT (70%)

Those tracks have long pit lanes. Also in GT League you seem to be teleported to the pit box instantly while in sport mode it takes real time to arrive there. (The times above are from sport mode) I haven't paid attention to the times on tracks where you fly right into the pit, they are a lot shorter there. Of course with those long pit lanes you also skip quite a bit of track so it's not really a 35 sec longer lap time.

I just wanted to resurrect this thread. I was watching a SuperGT video and was REALLY SURPRISED when he gets jumped in a pit during which he cleared the tire/fuel choices right away.

The driver behind him gains almost 2 seconds of time in the pits...

How is this possible? I thought pit time was fixed? New bug?

link to timestamp when this happens, he jokes about it but I think it needs more discussion.

If there's a way to scrub 2s off my race time I want to know about it.

I have noticed that as well on Tokyo. I enter the pit behind someone and leave a second ahead of them.

One thing that seems consistent is that your entry speed matters. A car that slows down to scrub his penalty before entering will drive slower to their pit box. Same if you hit the wall before entering.

It seems odd on that video though, not much speed different there at all when entering the pit. Perhaps he banged the wall on entry just as the camera cut away.

I have noticed that as well on Tokyo. I enter the pit behind someone and leave a second ahead of them.

One thing that seems consistent is that your entry speed matters. A car that slows down to scrub his penalty before entering will drive slower to their pit box. Same if you hit the wall before entering.

It seems odd on that video though, not much speed different there at all when entering the pit. Perhaps he banged the wall on entry just as the camera cut away.

Entry speed definitely matters. In a race last week on Fuji I flew into the pits in a tight battle with a guy who went in just as fast 2 car lengths ahead of me and we both came out the same two car lengths apart at similar speeds, as if we had only passed through without stopping.

Well, i noticed in the NationsCup yesterday (N200, Lago Maggiore East II) starting for Qualifying me (S-FR 'Concept) and an Alfa 4C Player exit the pit. but in the AutoDrive part of the exit, he accelerates way more than me, leaving me .3 seconds behind....

i would bet that it has something to do with GearBox and RPM... just a feeling.

My pit entry on the video still doesn't add up. If entry speed matters, it really doesn't add up as I went absolutely maximum speed in. Didn't brake and didn't touch the wall either.

If it is reaction time to pressing which tyres and whether or not to fuel, I also pressed those quickly. Not instantly, but certainly quick enough such that I woudln't lose about 2 seconds!!

Interesting start to 2019 but I did wonder about the pit times on La Sarthe when racing yesterday in the Grp1 race as I went in on L3 thinking
I'd get the jump on those ahead (about 6 seconds difference) and I lost about 7 seconds and ended up finishing way down the order (started
2nd and finished 6th).

Hopefully it's not a new bug as that will be a difficult one to factor when calling pit stops.

My pit entry on the video still doesn't add up. If entry speed matters, it really doesn't add up as I went absolutely maximum speed in. Didn't brake and didn't touch the wall either.

If it is reaction time to pressing which tyres and whether or not to fuel, I also pressed those quickly. Not instantly, but certainly quick enough such that I woudln't lose about 2 seconds!!

Just as a thought, can you check the replay from their perspective to see if they did actually change their tyres? It's POSSIBLE that on pit entry they pressed the wrong button and chose to not change tyres. I know this because, y'know, I've done it......

That said the guy who jumped you in the pits didn't suffer for pace at all, so might not be that.

Unfortunately I think it probably is a bug. I noticed this happen quite a bit at the daily Fuji race last week. Sometimes it worked in my favour, other times it didn't.

Check out this replay from a Fuji race where I stopped twice and one pitstop was fast and one was slow.

Fast pitstop - Video time 1:45:48.

Pit Entry - 1:45:51
Car stationary at ~4.5 seconds
First wheel gun on at ~5.1 seconds
Car Leaves Pit Box after - ~9.5 seconds
Pit Exit - 1:46:04
Pit Time - 13.053 seconds
Stop Duration - 9.159 seconds

Slow pitstop - Video time 1:52:04

Pit Entry - 1:52:06
Car stationary at ~5.5 seconds
First wheel gun on at ~6.7 seconds
Car Leaves Pit Box after - ~11 seconds
Pit Exit - 1:52:21
Pit Time - 14.430 seconds
Stop Duration - 5.422 seconds

It appears that on a fast pitstop the Stop Duration time starts immediately upon entering the pits rather than when the car becomes stationary. This seems like a bug since the car hasn't actually stopped yet. The camera cut sequence during a fast stop is slightly different than during a slow stop and the time it takes for the front left wheel gun to touch the car is about 1.5-1.6 seconds quicker than during a normal stop - this results in the car leaving the pits about 1.5 seconds quicker than normal.

Because the problem manifests the moment the car enters the pitlane (Stop duration begins ticking up) I don't think it has anything to do with how quickly you press the buttons to select tyres / fuel.

EDIT:

There's another pair of pitstops later in the video at 2:16:30 and 2:22:48. In this case the slow pitstop came first and the fast pitstop was second.

In both cases I've looked at so far the 'fast' pitstop occured when I clipped the wall on pit entry and got an SR penalty (applied when I left the pits). Both slow stops had no wall contact on pit entry. Having only looked at these two races so far this could be a coincidence.

EDIT 2:

The next couple of races have slow stops and I didn't hit the wall on entry.

In the last race in the video one stop is fast and one is slow. Once again the fast stop was the one where I clipped the wall on pit entry and the slow stop I did not.

Last edited:
Just as a thought, can you check the replay from their perspective to see if they did actually change their tyres? It's POSSIBLE that on pit entry they pressed the wrong button and chose to not change tyres. I know this because, y'know, I've done it......

That said the guy who jumped you in the pits didn't suffer for pace at all, so might not be that.

A possibility but highly unlikely. The guy who jumped me had really good pace on the laps after the pitstop which wouldn't have been possible on worn tyres.

I suspect there might be an "optimal entry speed", too fast or too slow and the game adds time while your car speed is reduced or increased to match the expected pit lane speed?

It's only a guess and would need some testing.

I think Tidgney mentioned in one of the FIA championship races that there was something going on with a random bit of time added to some pit stops and not others. I can't remember the video he talks about it, but was in one analysing footage from one of the competitions and the pit stop times disdvantaged him somehow. Might have been the Manufacturers regional heat at Maggiore. Looking would be like a needle in a haystack, but @Tidgney am I imagining this, or did you notice something off with the pit stops?
It might explain the differences here, or it could be 2 different things.

I think Tidgney mentioned in one of the FIA championship races that there was something going on with a random bit of time added to some pit stops and not others. I can't remember the video he talks about it, but was in one analysing footage from one of the competitions and the pit stop times disdvantaged him somehow. Might have been the Manufacturers regional heat at Maggiore. Looking would be like a needle in a haystack, but @Tidgney am I imagining this, or did you notice something off with the pit stops?
It might explain the differences here, or it could be 2 different things.

There's several things at work with the pits, 1 some cars seem to have some crazy advantage at some tracks on pit exit. The BMW at Interlagos is quite a known one in that it just accelerates through everything on the pit exit, so I'm assuming there's issues with other cars at other tracks based on this thread. That one with Super GT is an unusual one as I didn't think they had implemented it (They took it straight back out after the world tour as they saw it was unfair) but it appears as though it's in game?

Here's the video demonstrating it (Time stamped)

Appears to be the same as Super GT's and exactly 2 seconds which is what it always appears to be, either equal or some random advantage of 2 seconds! I'd much prefer if they want pit stops to have an impact for us to press a random set of key combinations or movements.

There's also been rumours that actually going full nuke into the pits hinders you or if you have a penalty it can although I've not seen that personally.

oh wow, in that video it has an actual timer showing the pit stop time and it clearly recorded a shorter stop. something fishy going on...

hold on. in that video the Merc doesn't change tires. All the other cars show H -> H on the graphic, for the merc it doesn't. also when the car enters the pits it shows as having 100 fuel which also can't be correct.

there's some kind of bug here.

Last edited:
Further to Post #14 above where I posited the idea that hitting the wall on pit entry made the pit stops faster I went through my 6h30m broadcast from last week where I ran the Fuji race over and over again. That video is here:

This longer video supports the theory, with 100% correlation between hitting the wall and a fast stop (and not hitting the wall being a slow stop).

upload_2019-1-3_22-27-12.png

All that's left to do is try this at some other non-Fuji tracks and see if tapping the wall just prior to crossing into the pits makes a difference. I'll try it tonight.

EDIT: Successfully reproduced fast pit-stops on Maggiore - Centre. A normal full pit stop time there is 15.5 seconds, but if you hit the wall on entry at just the right place you can get a 15.0s stop. I managed a 15.0s stop on 6 consecutive laps before then doing a series of laps without hitting the wall and getting 15.5s stops.

The level of obviousness as to whether someone is exploiting this deliberately or not depends on the track and whether there's a convenient wall to hit or not. At Fuji it was accidental but at other tracks it would be clear from a replay if a player was taking an odd route straight into the wall.

Last edited:
I don't like pitstops in GTS because of the randomness. Seems like another layer of "gameyness" that undermines all your hard work on track. What's with the camera cutting away and not displaying the full pit stop entry, drive through and drive out, you never know if the timing is right or not. Much prefer GT5 pitstops where the camera stays in cockpit view and you get to see in real time your car driving to the box, getting tyres/fuel and driving out again. That way you know exactly how many seconds every pit is and can plan your strategy accordingly. Though with the messed up refuelling rate and fuel tank size in GTS, it's all pointless anyway.

Also since this is a FIA official game and PD is always happy to hand out penalties, isn't it about time they let us have manual pit entries? At least for the official FIA races. Blow past the entry at full speed and you get a 10 second stop-and-go. Slow down correctly and engage the limiter and you're good.

EDIT: Successfully reproduced fast pit-stops on Maggiore - Centre. A normal full pit stop time there is 15.5 seconds, but if you hit the wall on entry at just the right place you can get a 15.0s stop. I managed a 15.0s stop on 6 consecutive laps before then doing a series of laps without hitting the wall and getting 15.5s stops.

This doesn't sit well with me. Normally I can see the connection between a bug and how the code goes wrong, hitting a wall seems strange for affecting pit time. I think there's still something else behind the curtain so to speak. This seems like a way to trigger the bug, but I don't think it's the source.

Does it work for shortcut penalties also or just impact penalties. And if you are hitting the wall, shouldn't you get a time penalty not SR down? Something is wrong.

Great work btw.

This doesn't sit well with me. Normally I can see the connection between a bug and how the code goes wrong, hitting a wall seems strange for affecting pit time. I think there's still something else behind the curtain so to speak. This seems like a way to trigger the bug, but I don't think it's the source.

Does it work for shortcut penalties also or just impact penalties. And if you are hitting the wall, shouldn't you get a time penalty not SR down? Something is wrong.

Great work btw.

Yeah, something about it is definitely off. If you can excuse the fact that my video editing skills were insufficient to stitch two videos alongside each other (and I just screencapped a website that can do it for you), here's a video of a slow and a fast pitstop side by side.

The time is saved because the animation of the refueller running out of the pit garage with the fuel is cut short on a fast pit stop. On a slow stop this animation plays for longer and the camera cuts to the side of the car for a fraction of a second. I'm a game developer too, so usually I can rationalise how a bug can manifest, but this is a weird one. I did wonder if it had something to do with the lobby option to "reset cars that leave the track", maybe the car was being teleported further down the pit lane due to the 'crash' when entering the pits. However, you can see from the side-by-side video that the car makes it into the pit box at exactly the same time in both cases, it's just the camera sequence that changes.

The fact that the "Stop Duration" starts immediately is probably important. For whatever reason the game thinks the car has stopped (or reached the pit box) before it actually did. I suppose if the game's internal logic did 'reset' the car it might think it was stationary before it reached the pit-box, only to then play the "enter the pit box" car animation.

I don't think we're going to ever understand why the bug occurs, the important thing is that Polyphony are made aware of the problem before people with much more time on their hands than me start finding all the wall impact points on every track!

At the very least this shows that a fast input does not mean a faster pit. The input on the right was slower and yet the pit occurred faster.

The video on the right certainly looks like the pit entry gets cut short, the full animation of the car slowing doesn't play.

it certainly has something to do with hitting the wall. i saw it happening in a lobby last night pretty consistently.

oh wow, in that video it has an actual timer showing the pit stop time and it clearly recorded a shorter stop. something fishy going on...

hold on. in that video the Merc doesn't change tires. All the other cars show H -> H on the graphic, for the merc it doesn't. also when the car enters the pits it shows as having 100 fuel which also can't be correct.

there's some kind of bug here.

Great catch on that tyre thingy. Not swapping those could easily justify the 2 sec difference.

I doubt whether this 100% fuel is related, though. The Lamborghini in this video gets that as well and he doesn't gain anything. It's a bug for sure, yes, but just a number showing incorrect. I think I've seen this occasionally in my own races as well, without any illegitimate gains.

Does the wall tap glitch still work? I tried doing it alone in online lobby at Fuji but it gives me the same time.

I've also tested various things that may affect the time, but it seems that the pit travel time + tyre change time is locked for each track variant (down to the milisecond). At least when I tested it alone. Not sure if under racing conditions it's different. Even tracks that share the same pitlane and entry approach (like the various Kyoto/Maggiore variants) have slightly different "fixed" times pre-programmed for each variant. Forward/reverse may or may not have the same times as well, there's no obvious pattern that I can see. So the only thing that can vary pit time is fuel, and how well you drive tricky pit entries (e.g. Bathurst, Autopolis, La Sarthe).

Variables I tested:
- Entry speed (full speed vs braking to a stop just before the entry)
- How quickly you choose tyre/fuel load
- Tyre wear level on pit entry
- Tyre wear multiplier
- Tyre compound change
- Fuel multiplier
- Fuel load on entry
- Track grip (Low/Real)
- Track time of day
- Having penalty on pit entry

The only difference I find is with different cars, and even this is negligible. I did my test on all tracks using the 458 Gr.3, and on one of the tracks (Miyabi) I tested with the Fiat 500F (slowest car) and Tomahawk X (fastest car). Tyre change time is still equal, but pit travel time differs by 0.5 sec between 500F and Tomahawk (with the 458 slap bang in between). I'm thinking maybe it's the time difference when the car is slowing to standstill and accelerating again from the pitbox. In any case, it's minimal difference given such extreme example.

The BMW Gr.3 @ Interlagos glitch is an interesting one. I had this happen to me in one of the FIA Manu races last season. I chalked it up to lag at the time, but now I know better :irked: Haven't tested it since though.

Last edited:
Back