etiquette question

  • Thread starter Thread starter MustakeSVT
  • 11 comments
  • 1,039 views
Messages
45
Messages
Mustake
I was just racing the F1 at Fuji. I raced several races with just one person. He didn't keep up very well and if I got by him I would walk off. I would follow him around for a couple laps until he screwed up and then pass him easily and cleanly. I never pushed too hard and I was giving him credit for being clean.

Well, we started a race and I over shot turn one (no where close to him and no contact) then I ran behind him all the way around and got inside him on the last turn. He got a small edge and had a wheel on me down the straight and I'm thinking, man, what a race!!! Then the a-hole came out in him and he started squeezing me outside down the straight. I braked hard and tucked behind him and continued to race and every time I got close he started making bad moves.

Knowing I was the host, I started thinking, to hell with this guy. So I dumped the race on the last lap even though I'm sure I could have beat him.

So my question is this. Was I wrong in doing this? Keep in mind we were the only two in the race and this effected no one else.
 
Well, I'd say at least 80% of the time I'd advocate the "turn the other cheek" way of thinking. Unless you've been constantly raped all over the race track for countless hours. Then the margins drop a tad...

In my experiences, I'd say the average gamer does not see humility. What they do see is a GTP_ tag and feel threatened, or inferior :sly:

I am a firm believer in karma, and even though it's only a game, I think life will somehow find a way to punish these jokesters.

Such is the way...

EDIT: Just realized you don't use the GTP_ tags. Still doesn't change the main theme of my post though lol
 
I don't have a GTP tag so that wasn't a concern at all. ;)
 
So my question is this. Was I wrong in doing this? Keep in mind we were the only two in the race and this effected no one else
no, you weren't wrong. time is too precious to waste on fools :D
 
I think the only person who you did a disservice to was yourself.

You shouldn't have allowed an inferior racer to get to you like that, especially if you say you could 'walk away' from him when you got past. If you really were the better driver, then you should have finished the race reminded yourself never to give quarter like that again.

I had the same problem with a couple of other guys the other night on Suzuka. I was leading by 30 seconds at the end of lap two, so in order to make lap 3 a battle, I stopped on the main straight on the pitwall and let them past me.

It took two corners to catch up and through the esses, I got knocked off the track by the guys who I had shown grace to.

Got knocked off at Degna too.

Got knocked off at Spoon.

Got knocked off at the exit to Casio too.

So for my efforts, I came last and was knocked off the track 4 times on the final lap. I didn't quit, but I reminded myself never to let newbs past me again.

At the end of the day, the newb probably thinks that he was a better driver than you because you couldn't get past him (he'd be blind to his own dirty blocking tactics) and you quit before the end of the race. So he'd waltz off to tell his mates how he kicked your arse and you couldn't get past him because he was soooo good at driving. And he'll do it again and again and again... and each time you quit, you're a little less closer to hosting a race.

;)
 
if he was squeezing you down the straight, why didn't you just hold your ground and let him knock himself out? Easiest way to spin a guy is to sideswipe his rear wheels, isn't it?
 
if he was squeezing you down the straight, why didn't you just hold your ground and let him knock himself out? Easiest way to spin a guy is to sideswipe his rear wheels, isn't it?

Via a P.I.T manouevre, yes, but doing so on a race track whilst simultaneously having to plan the next corner is extremely difficult.
 
I hear ya, but sometimes you can get enough. You're right though!!!
 
I had the same problem with a couple of other guys the other night on Suzuka. I was leading by 30 seconds at the end of lap two, so in order to make lap 3 a battle, I stopped on the main straight on the pitwall and let them past me.

It's also possible that by being so lenient, they make take it as an insult to their driving. If you stop in race to let them pass, and then beat them, they might think you are flaunting your superiority.

Now, I haven't played GT5P, but if I was racing someone far better than me, and they do something like let me catch up from a large fall-behind, it's possible I could think they were toying with me, especially if I get beaten just as hard anyway. There is going easy, and then there is going too easy.
 
I think the only person who you did a disservice to was yourself.

You shouldn't have allowed an inferior racer to get to you like that, especially if you say you could 'walk away' from him when you got past. If you really were the better driver, then you should have finished the race reminded yourself never to give quarter like that again.

I had the same problem with a couple of other guys the other night on Suzuka. I was leading by 30 seconds at the end of lap two, so in order to make lap 3 a battle, I stopped on the main straight on the pitwall and let them past me.

It took two corners to catch up and through the esses, I got knocked off the track by the guys who I had shown grace to.

Got knocked off at Degna too.

Got knocked off at Spoon.

Got knocked off at the exit to Casio too.

So for my efforts, I came last and was knocked off the track 4 times on the final lap. I didn't quit, but I reminded myself never to let newbs past me again.

At the end of the day, the newb probably thinks that he was a better driver than you because you couldn't get past him (he'd be blind to his own dirty blocking tactics) and you quit before the end of the race. So he'd waltz off to tell his mates how he kicked your arse and you couldn't get past him because he was soooo good at driving. And he'll do it again and again and again... and each time you quit, you're a little less closer to hosting a race.

;)

I've done the same a few times. And had same thing happen.

The trouble is it's all about wining for some people. Don't get me wrong I like wining, but I'll take a good race any day of the week over wining by a huge amount of time.
 
I feel the same as Aero. You shouldn't quit and you should not react to their ramming other than trying to stay focused on the race and beat them fair and square, this way online driving will improve dramatically. If you react to an idiot 'arent you just as guilty as them?

The ultimate humilation for these people who do this is to beat them fair and square and then hopefully one day they will get the message.
 
if he was squeezing you down the straight, why didn't you just hold your ground and let him knock himself out? Easiest way to spin a guy is to sideswipe his rear wheels, isn't it?

Is this FIDO from GTBN???
 
Back