Europeans: Here's how to change from KW to (H)PS measure system for power

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alex p.
  • 17 comments
  • 12,435 views
Messages
6,786
Germany
Hanover/Germany
Messages
alexpkas
Just change your XMB language to English (American) and voila, the annoying KW display is gone and everything is in (H)PS. Other languages should work too, if you speak 'em. ;)
 
Torque will also be in fl/lb and not nm
 
Torque will also be in fl/lb and not nm

Well, that's the downside of it. But I was REALLY annoyed by the KW display.
 
Custom units of measurements selection in the option menu would be a better solution.
 
Custom units of measurements selection in the option menu would be a better solution.
This does exist? lol I still like my cars in garage and at the dealer displayed to me in HP.
 
Wasn't this in GT5 under the Miscellaneous menu? Seems a bit silly to remove it
 
Just change your XMB language to English (American) and voila, the annoying KW display is gone and everything is in (H)PS. Other languages should work too, if you speak 'em. ;)
Just don't confuse metric with mechanical horsepower.
 
Wait which language do I choose if I want it in Kw?

HP and whatever torque is in mean nothing to me atm
 
Wait which language do I choose if I want it in Kw?

HP and whatever torque is in mean nothing to me atm
Try it with something European. Maybe UK English?
 
In the dutch version the power is displayed in PS and the torque is displayed in Nm.
I'm glad, exaclty as I like it to be.
 
It's already in BHP in the UK version? Well it is for me anyway
 
It's already in BHP in the UK version? Well it is for me anyway
Yep. hp and lbfft - as it should be.

Oddly, European Law dictates that car manufacturers must publish their cars' power figures in kW and that any other measuring system is for supporting information only - but for the most part European countries prefer to use the metric horsepower (PS, CV, Ch [and others]), so as part of the game's localisation processes you're likely to see PS for the majority of European languages and Japan, kW for Australia and hp for the UK and USA.
 
It is BHP for me but I do not know what my XMB settings are.
 
In absolute numbers PS > kW. So PS is not only learned for many years. Your car appears more powerful in PS.
I guess if kW number would be larger than PS people had change their minds quickly.
 
Yep. hp and lbfft - as it should be.

Oddly, European Law dictates that car manufacturers must publish their cars' power figures in kW and that any other measuring system is for supporting information only - but for the most part European countries prefer to use the metric horsepower (PS, CV, Ch [and others]), so as part of the game's localisation processes you're likely to see PS for the majority of European languages and Japan, kW for Australia and hp for the UK and USA.

They try to unify the power measurement into the base unit, which is Watt and try to stray away from derived units. It makes sense from a scientists point of view. It also makes sense that the car companies always keep the HP values in the advertisements as the current customer generation only knows car powers in HP units and thus keeps sales. I bet the future will only keep kW as units.

As for my Units:
I have a German PS3, run it on an english XMB. In GT6 I get the option to use either metric or imperial units for distances. so I have the option between (bhp, lbfft, miles) and (bhp, kgfm, km). kW values would require me to set my XMB to german.
 
Anyway to change the weight to pounds for us ignorant Americans?
 
Back