• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 28 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
eurovision-2017-logo.jpg

Eurovision is back, with the 2017 edition being held in Kiev in Ukraine, after Jamala won in 2016 with her song "1944". The Grand Final is on Saturday night, so get ready!

Which songs have caught your eye so far? Who are you voting for in the final? Thoughts on the standard of entry this year, or who do you think will win?

I've known I'll be voting for Moldova every since the beginning of March. The Sunstroke Project are competing in their second Eurovision, after performing "Run Away" in 2010. I think you know which one I'm on about.

Their song "Hey Mamma" this year is very catchy, and was well received at the semi-final, which they breezed through.

Anybody else know who they're voting for?

Not really a fan of the whole Eurovision thing, but I'm being forced to watch it by my gf and her family. One question

The Portuguese entry?! What the 🤬 was that? That is the most awkward performance I've ever seen? How is that considered a favorite to win?
I know taste is subjective, but come on!

Other than that, I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

EDIT
Loving the schizophrenic oprah singer

Can't stand Eurovision, never watch it but I have a question. Why are we, the UK, bothering this year? Surely they are all going to give us nil point what with Brexit! In fact it wouldn't surprise me if we got boo'd throughout!

Can't stand Eurovision, never watch it but I have a question. Why are we, the UK, bothering this year? Surely they are all going to give us nil point what with Brexit! In fact it wouldn't surprise me if we got boo'd throughout!
You'd be surprised, some non-EU countries want Brexit to ruin the EU, so might vote the UK's way.

We got sod all votes before Brexit anyway, so Brexit will make no difference.

The UK is a founder of Eurovision and hence we cannot be kicked out, and don't even have to qualify... the tragedy being that we are basically compelled to take part... with a bit of luck, Brexit will actually have at least one upside and put us out of our Eurovision misery!

-

Back to tonight's performances... so far:

Poland - :lol:
Netherlands - visually pleasing, enjoyed a few things about them (6 to be exact :P)
Denmark - she's rich, she's beautiful, she's got HUGE tracts of land...
Italy - dear God that can't be the favourite, surely?
Australia - by far the best so far - great to see Australia flying the flag for European music 👍
Greece - rubbish song but a lovely lass
lovestruck.gif
... reminds me of my ex-girlfriend after I'd had about 8 pints.
Spain - if ever there was a reason to sing in your own language, that was it.
UK - brilliant vocal performance, shame about the facial expressions
Romania - No. Just no.

Last edited:

So basically, just like any other year :P

Joke aside, I don't think most people care about brexit. It's a much bigger thing in the UK than it is in the rest of Europe.

Press kept saying in the run up to this year would Brexit hurt our chances?.... what chances?! :lol: Won't make a scrap of difference.

The standard is very high this year just like the last few years, pretty much all of the songs have been pretty good. Graham Norton's sass is by far the highlight, he is so brutal!

Good to see two of the other founder members, Spain and Germany, on nil point so far....

I also take back any and all criticism of Australia's inclusion in Eurovision.

Last edited:
3rd place for Memedova

No idea what was so good about Portugal, but I suppose well done for their first win ever

And apparently that's still the case. What a joke. That guy/song is as charismatic/interesting as a withered house plant.

I agree with the guy, not with the song. And the song is what matters. :)

Congratulations Portugal!

4th for Belgium is pretty good, considering their low jury score.

I hope Spain will bring a better song next year. I didn't even notice their performance.

The Portuguese entry?! What the 🤬 was that? That is the most awkward performance I've ever seen? How is that considered a favorite to win?
I know taste is subjective, but come on!
Portugal...really?!?!?!

What am I missing here? :confused::confused::confused:
I don't know, but you can try asking your own jury. After all, Denmark awarded 10 points to Portugal (only topped by the 12 points you gave to your Scandinavian friends).

Glad you got if off your chest, though. 👍

Dont take it personally, it had nothing to do with the fact that it was Portuguese. And congrats with the victory.
In my opinion, a guy mumbling into a microphone and looking as though he's being forced unto the stage, by a man with a gun. Is not very entertaining, or the basis for a very good song.
Admittedly, I didn't understand what the guy was saying, that may have made a difference, but I doubt it.

And as for the Danish jury, obviously I disagree with them as well. But like I said, it must be something I'm missing, cause in my ears, it hit an all time low.

But again, congrats on your first victory 👍

As for the Scandinavian friends remark. Since Sweden ended up, what? Fourth? It wasn't exactly an unfair 12 points to give. It's not like we gave our neighbors in the south, Germany, 12 points.

Last edited:
I can't help but notice that whenever someone or something is compared to Marmite (as was the case with Portugal's performance), I'm usually nowhere near either end of the love/hate spectrum. I'm not one for humble or awkwardly-performed ballads but I felt that their voice alone was enough to stand out in a positive light from the typical Eurovision extravagance.

Far more deserving of the win than Ukraine's entry last year. Though more than half of tonight's entries would have been, also.

I hope Spain will bring a better song next year. I didn't even notice their performance.

A guy singing The Lazy Song's B&M bootleg remix off-key.

Remarkably, this didn't prove popular in the run-up to the final.

Back