Excessive wheel spin?

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 6 comments
Canada
Canada
I just picked this game up about a week ago. I'm trying to be patient with learning the physics and the tuning, but I'm having a hell of a time with wheel spin coming out of corners. Should clarify that I'm using a DS4.

In anything rear wheel drive, road car to GT3, I get wheel spin coming out of slow and medium speed corners, in 2nd or 3rd gear. I'm trying to feather the throttle as best I can, I've tried short shifting, tuning for understeer, and nothing I do seems to help much.

The result is that I either go into a tank slapper (I get a crazy amount of these for some reason), or into this numb feeling spin that I can't correct, or even really control the car.

In GT6, I used to use transmission tuning to help eliminate this...can't really do that here sadly.

It seems like it's something with the diff, but locking the accel doesn't seem to eliminate the problem.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Be careful with your inputs would be my first piece of advice.

Next would be diff set up, but as in real life, this will only do so much, as it's not like you can take a 500hp rwd car and just lock the diff and expect no wheelspin. You'll have to make adjustments to the suspension, paying particular attention to dampers. There will always be a tradeoff in trying to tune out wheelspin and oversteer, as you'll inevitably be introducing understeer into the situation.

The single biggest problem you have is using a controller unfortunately, and I know it's expensive to buy a wheel, but this game was really designed for a wheel, and is nowhere near as good to play with a controller.

Good luck :cheers:

Soften rear sway bar, springs and add some rear downforce. But you still have to be careful. GT6 is VERY forgiving, you can plant the power mid corner in a LMP car and not worry about spinning. In pCars you have to find the point where the rear will start to go and get as close to that point as you can. Often times once you cross it and start sliding there's nothing you can do. Just be gently and avoid quick movements, though noting your username that may be quite difficult :)

Thanks for the help 👍 I have a feeling my issues have a lot to do with my inputs. Guess I'll just have to keep working on it.

I'm trying to slowly work my way through the tuning menu to get a feel for each setting and how it changes the handling...I've yet to really get to dampers. That'll be my project for this week.

I also realise the pitfalls of the controller...unfortunately I don't have space for a wheel right now :(. It's one the list though.

My username is an old nickname from college :lol: I can be pretty smooth with the controller. Fooled many people while drifting in GT6.

I think I need to play around with some of the controller settings options some more, but I don't really understand some of them.

What do Speed Sensitivity, Controller Filtering Sensitivity, Controller Input Mode and the rest of the Advanced options do? There's no in-game explinations.

I did a quick search for a few of those on these forums and didn't find much. Even a link to something that could shed some light would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for that!!! I gave the OP a read, made some adjustments, and have made major improvements.

The thing that was killing me the most was the Soft Steering Dampening under the Advanced Options. I turned it OFF, and man did it ever make a big difference.

I figured out that it wasn't the wheelspin that was my problem...as you said, it's to be expected. My issue was that I couldn't catch and correct the oversteer. I think solved that though :D

For anyone interested, I'm using
-Steering Deadzone 2
-Steering Sensitivity 10
-Speed Sensitivity 75
-Controller Filtering Sensitivity 50
-Input Mode 2
-Everything in Advanced OFF

Thank you so much for that!!! I gave the OP a read, made some adjustments, and have made major improvements.

The thing that was killing me the most was the Soft Steering Dampening under the Advanced Options. I turned it OFF, and man did it ever make a big difference.

I figured out that it wasn't the wheelspin that was my problem...as you said, it's to be expected. My issue was that I couldn't catch and correct the oversteer. I think solved that though :D

For anyone interested, I'm using
-Steering Deadzone 2
-Steering Sensitivity 10
-Speed Sensitivity 75
-Controller Filtering Sensitivity 50
-Input Mode 2
-Everything in Advanced OFF

Everyone has different preferences, which is I guess the silver lining in the ridiculous amount of options Pcars has to customise the experience to one's tastes.

I used a little more steering sensitivity than you, and my speed sensitivity was much lower. But I also used mode 3, which feels much different before you start tweaking it, so I don't know, those settings in mode 2 might be even better than mine in mode 3 were. Thankfully I got a wheel so I don't have to worry about it now. Instead, I have all the endless FFB options to optimise lol.

Glad you've found a more comfortable set up mate! :cheers:

Back