Exhaust/extractor heat wrap questions

SkylineObsession

Expert daydreamer
Premium
New Zealand
New Zealand
SkylineObsession
Mangosaurus
So i think i've decided to remove the heat wrapping from around the extractors (PICTURE: in white, on the right of the engine block) on one of my Skylines, as last (?) year my wife's wrapped extractors on her Skyline rusted right through pretty much and she had to buy new ones.

Does anyone have any positive/negative experiences with exhaust wrap? Is it worth having if its in a road car that doesn't see action at racetracks any more (previous owner took it to a few track days etc).

I did a quick Google search a couple years back and read a suggestion by someone to coat the extractors with ceramic instead? That sounds like it could be expensive.
The original radiator fan has been taken out of my car by the previous owner and replaced with an electric fan. No idea if it is better at cooling or not, but with the unwrapped extractors there may be more lingering heat in the engine bay i would think? Considering putting a larger radiator in at some point, as it's quite a small one compared to the aftermarket one my wife put in her car.

And i'm assuming i should be taking the wrap off with gloves, long sleeves and a face mask? It basically falls to pieces when you pull at it.

Probably more of a priority these days, as haven't driven or started that Skyline in over two years. My other Skyline hasn't been started in three or more years (both are in storage) but that at least doesn't have wrap on the extractors. Both still have 98 octane fuel in the tanks too - one has a full tank - which i'm gonna have to dry drain out before starting them next as that fuel will be well past its best before date.

Engine bay does need a tidy up too, a steam clean job many years ago ripped so much paint off the car. :(
_DSC8769 (1920x1280).jpg

Last edited:
I've not used wrap personally but know people who race that have used it. I don't know of anyone doing before/after wrap dyno tests, but the theory is you get more power because: 1) under bonnet temperatures (including near the air intake) are lower, so colder, more dense intake air for more power. 2) Keeping energy in the exhaust gas improves scavenging effect, so more power.

Number one could in theory be achieved through other means, heat shields, specific design of cold air intake etc.

Ceramic coating is an alternative and should not rot your headers. It can be expensive. There is a company up the road from me (UK) called Zircotec who apply this, don't know if they have subsidiaries abroad.

Definitely wear a mask and gloves when removing the old wrap. Wrap can be made from a range of materials, but glass fibre will cause lung and skin irritation, other mineral fibres can also cause bad lung conditions.

Yeah i'd say the previous owner wanted to improve power etc without having to slap a turbo on it. It's also why he removed the AC.

Hard to know what direction to take really.

Back