Exhaust question

You're crazy if you think
I can afford either of these.
My GS500 sounds like a dang Prius. I want it louder. But I also have next to no budget :lol: So would it do any kind of harm to just cut off the stock can and run open pipe back there? I'm thinking of putting a universal muffler on it soon because they are cheap. Or a cherry bomb glass pack. I haven't decided which... But I want it to make some noise before I get the new muffler too

obsessive rules
Go to the tuning shop, select the exhaust sub menu and buy the sport exhaust. It's only 2500cr.

0bb69f87_954-not-sure-if-serious.jpeg

Don't straight pipe it, i'll be illegal and you will fail sound tests.
It will also make it sound really bad, and you might lose performance.
If you want a better sound then buy a slip-on muffler.

Don't straight pipe it, i'll be illegal and you will fail sound tests.
It will also make it sound really bad, and you might lose performance.
If you want a better sound then buy a slip-on muffler.

No back pressure = loss of performance. That's why when people run open headers they don't drive, and the risk of sucking air back up into the engine runs high.

Yeah, when I straight piped my 230 it gained a bit in the mid range but it barely gained anything on top and it lost a lot of the bottom, then when we put the muffler in, (but no baffle) it picked up everywhere.

Yeah, when I straight piped my 230 it gained a bit in the mid range but it barely gained anything on top and it lost a lot of the bottom, then when we put the muffler in, (but no baffle) it picked up everywhere.

Also depends on the engine and vehicle it's in. I can get away with it in my truck and not lose any performance. The only reason it has cats on it is because the 6 banger had them.

Alright so basically I want a muffler. Got it! I don't have the coin to drop 200 on a new slip on, so I'm probably going to get a cheap universal muffler. For now, I just took a grinder to the pipe and put a slit in it right before the can. Now I can actually hear it this thing when I'm on it :) And I notice no performance loss. Bout to take a 45 minute ride south so I'll see for sure on that

Alright so basically I want a muffler. Got it! I don't have the coin to drop 200 on a new slip on, so I'm probably going to get a cheap universal muffler. For now, I just took a grinder to the pipe and put a slit in it right before the can. Now I can actually hear it this thing when I'm on it :) And I notice no performance loss. Bout to take a 45 minute ride south so I'll see for sure on that

If you're going that route get Walkers. They sound decent and don't hinder performance.

Ah alright. I'll look into them if they exist. My slit in the pipe is making enough sound for me to be happy with for now. The more pressing 30 dollar is the speedometer, as I have no gauges at all.

Persoanlly, I would look for one in decent condition off a crashed road bike. There's bound to be one that's barely damaged, and there very easy to repair, but if you look hard enough, you will be able to put it straight on. That's what we do for racing sidecar engines, get them from crashed GSX-R 600's. If there not damaged, there's nothing to worry about. I've got an Akriprovic race end can, got it for free because a sidecar racing friend crashed and bought a new one. It's in pretty bad condition, but I'm just gonna take it to an engineering
mate, to see if he can fix it. If he can, that's a completely free Akriprovic Race end can.

Latest Posts

Back