Exhaust upgrade kills car's original sound?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Darkpitiless
  • 29 comments
  • 4,436 views
Messages
316
Messages
Darkpitiless
Did anyone notice that upgrading the exhaust of the car will 100% change the original exhaust note of the car? I mean upgrading the BMW M5 with race exhaust will make it sound like a Nascar, which is insane!! upgrading the Corvette ZR1 will make it sound like a HONDA Civic which is hilarious!! Even upgrading the Camaro '69 is a total disaster, as it will make the car sound like an S2000. Well i know that Camaro 69's exhaust will rumble in way that will make the tarmac shake.

Isn't upgrading the exhaust supposed to make the car louder with a little more noise? I mean for a game, that is the common logic. Forza anyone???

BTW i had to sacrifice performance and remove all exhaust upgrades from all my cars. Because i can't stand driving a ZR1 that sounds like a fly.


 
Last edited:
i dont know where you got the idea that upgrading the exhaust just makes it louder... have you ever worked on a car?
 
i dont know where you got the idea that upgrading the exhaust just makes it louder... have you ever worked on a car?

Well this is what BMWs V10 sounds like with an exhaust. It will never sound like a nascar. And yes i have worked on many cars.

 
My m3 sound a bit like a tuned s200 now but if you upgrade the exhaust on a real car it would sound a bit like that though I partly agree with you since it sounds a bit too high pitched. The stock M3 does not sound very true to live at high revs though.
 
This thread is pointless without evidence, which you need to provide.

It's almost entirely subjective.
 
Part of what you are saying is right, changing exhaust changes the sound of the car... Now, without going deep into accoustics formulations, the shape of the exhaust makes the difference within the small changes. However there is two type of exhausts upgrades (in real life) the one for the sound and the other for the power.
Most of people are using the sound type on their car coz it usually goes well the car. Like a deep rumble for a muscle car that would make thunder sounds like a whisper.
Now if you are searching for power, you dont care about the sound that's why it may not feel appropriate all the time. From that saying that PD did it purposely i wouldn't bet !
So some cars will sounds like bees (really common in real race car) some others will sounds like heaven !

Btw, if you wanna enjoy what I, and many others, consider like one of the best ever race car sounds, try to search "murcielago reiter engineering" on youtube, turn the volume on and enjoy ;)
 
This thread is pointless without evidence, which you need to provide.

It's almost entirely subjective.

Not really, it was similar in GT4. After upgrading the exhaust on a Mclaren SLR the sound changed from a deep, v8 rumble to a high pitched almost quad rotory sound.

I haven't tried it in GT5 yet, but I would imagine it would vary between models a bit
 
I kind of like the sound of the CE M3 with full exhaust upgrades. I wouldn't mind checking out the M5 either.

BTW Have you ever heard an M5 engine on straight pipes? Sounds so retardedly beastly.

 
Last edited:
you clearly have no idea how exhaust upgrading works. its impossible to replicate the exact sound that car will make with me specific exhaust kit as well as any engine mods on a car. exhaust doesnt just make the car louder. go learn about cars, then come back


(i apologize if this doesnt make complete sense, as im intoxicated. but im trying to explain myself)
 
you clearly have no idea how exhaust upgrading works. its impossible to replicate the exact sound that car will make with me specific exhaust kit as well as any engine mods on a car. exhaust doesnt just make the car louder. go learn about cars, then come back


(i apologize if this doesnt make complete sense, as im intoxicated. but im trying to explain myself)

I know how you feel. I thought it was common sense that different exhaust systems make different notes and tones as well as can make the car softer or louder depending on material and craftsmanship.
 
Part of what you are saying is right, changing exhaust changes the sound of the car... Now, without going deep into accoustics formulations, the shape of the exhaust makes the difference within the small changes. However there is two type of exhausts upgrades (in real life) the one for the sound and the other for the power.
Most of people are using the sound type on their car coz it usually goes well the car. Like a deep rumble for a muscle car that would make thunder sounds like a whisper.
Now if you are searching for power, you dont care about the sound that's why it may not feel appropriate all the time. From that saying that PD did it purposely i wouldn't bet !
So some cars will sounds like bees (really common in real race car) some others will sounds like heaven !

Btw, if you wanna enjoy what I, and many others, consider like one of the best ever race car sounds, try to search "murcielago reiter engineering" on youtube, turn the volume on and enjoy ;)

The only V8s that sound anything like the ZR1 in the OP are Ferrari's and probably some very small V8s designed for racing applications.
 
I noticed the same in my Dodge Charger from '70... but honestly im not good at remembering how it sounded before upgrade..

I can double check later. (its a standard car though)
 
i dont know where you got the idea that upgrading the exhaust just makes it louder... have you ever worked on a car?

Well the video he posted is not how a ZR1 sounds with ANY exhaust.
 
If it's a full race exhaust, you will definitely lose the deep bass-ey sound of a standard exhaust, because you're removing the resonators that remove the buzziness and shrillness of the exhaust note.

I've gone through several exhausts in real life, and sound varies tremendously from one to the other.
 
Wow...that ZR1 sounds like utter rubbish :sick: Well done PD 👍
 
@Darkpitiless
On-topic: Yes, changing the exhaust in-game will alter the sound. I only turn them on while doing events, and I take the exhausts back off when practicing. I hate them.

Off-topic: I hear Remember - Disturbed in the background of GT5. Keep being Awesome.
 
The actual sound of an exhaust is highly dependent on the shape, size and length of the exhaust system. It is impossible to say that one aftermarket exhaust sound is definitive of all aftermarket exhaust sounds for any particular car. The different exhausts just vary too much and too widely, so PD can only make an estimate of what a car would sound like with a custom exhaust.
 
They might have done some aftermarket exhaust recordings. The full race exhaust upgrades for '08 M3 sounds really close to a Kreissieg F1 exhaust system.
 
If it's a full race exhaust, you will definitely lose the deep bass-ey sound of a standard exhaust, because you're removing the resonators that remove the buzziness and shrillness of the exhaust note.

I've gone through several exhausts in real life, and sound varies tremendously from one to the other.

Therefore it being hard to determen how the car will sound after the exhaust mod for PD. They should have kept it similar to the original sound with an edited pitch " noisiness, loudness " effects are the only things should've been added. I mean they could've done much better than that. They just can't allow a modded vette or BMW sound like that. Im sure you guys never played Forza. I only played Forza several times at my friend's. And i was really hopping that GT5 will do the same technique. GT5 is gorgeous. But these sounds are trying to ruin the game.
 
You can't just alter pitch, volume, etcetera...

Removing restrictions starts some cars popping and backfiring.

Changing headers will change not only the timbre, but the character of your exhaust.

Removing the resonator adds an annoying rasp.

Changing the muffler, depending on the engine, can either make your car sound nice and throaty or growly. Remove the muffler after changing the headers and removing the resonator, and it's a toss-up whether your car will sound like a manic chainsaw, an open-pipe NASCAR racer or a lawnmower. Or something of all three, depending on rpm and load.

I've never played Forza, but I've got a million different bits of discarded exhaust tube in the garage, in the garbage and in several shops around town. My car has alternately sounded like a big V8, a chainsaw and a lawnmower (so sue me, can't think of any more similies... :lol: ). And that's just with changing the muffler.

No two exhausts sound alike, and I don't expect PD to have taken the time to find 1000 different motor vehicles... record an exhaust sound under load, swap each and every exhaust, then record the sound again, under load.

They probably copied the Standard car sounds from their pre-recorded files used for GT4, then recorded new audio for the Premium files. Where they had samples of modified exhausts for Premium cars, they could have recorded them, but more likely they simply applied some modification to the sound models instead.
 
Moded TVR Speed 6 sounds kick ass. As well Mach 1 mustang. Some cars sound good moded, some dont.
 
They probably copied the Standard car sounds from their pre-recorded files used for GT4, then recorded new audio for the Premium files. Where they had samples of modified exhausts for Premium cars, they could have recorded them, but more likely they simply applied some modification to the sound models instead.

im pretty sure some/most/all standard cars have had their sounds re recorded. for example things like the 88CV and sauber c9 sound vastly different than they did in gt4

as to the thread subject, of course racing exhaust sounds vastly different to regular exhaust, what did you expect exactly.
 
I just fully modded that corvette and thought I'd come to GTP and find a thread about it. And he we are.

It really does sound like a 10 000rpm 4 cylinder might I add..
 
im pretty sure some/most/all standard cars have had their sounds re recorded. for example things like the 88CV and sauber c9 sound vastly different than they did in gt4

as to the thread subject, of course racing exhaust sounds vastly different to regular exhaust, what did you expect exactly.

It could be that the original sound files are much higher definitiont than what was used in GT4, and this is what went into GT5... though I can't say definitively... I have yet to receive my copy.
 
A lot of the American cars (classic and modern) sounded wrong on the GT series and have continued to be. Just doesn't have the rumble.
But then again, to me, sound has always been one of the weak points of the GT series. I wish they can learn to record the audio from Autocar / Top Gear / Best Motoring (esp. Hot version).
Well I'm gonna go try it out in a full blown home theater system at my friend's hopefully the cars will sound much better.
But for people who have worked on cars and go to track events and in the cars themselves, will be dissapointed. I know I sorta am.
 
My modded Lamborghini has a nice roar.

Same with my Skyline R33.
 
I dont understand your comment on the '69 Camaro.... I bought that one a couple of days ago and RMed it... Also has a race exhaust and supercharger and everything else in the tune shop and it sounds like its gargling nails the whole time....
 
there are many factors that alter the sound of the car, you can't just show us a video of a bmv and try to compare that with a zr1 with new exhaust...
 
Back