Extended Steering Angle Lock and Caster adjusting.

• Thread starter Alexd1345
  • 17 comments
Japan
Madrid
MCR-Hako / Alexd1345
EXTENDED STEERING ANGLE LOCK

Here we can see a Supra/Soarer Wisefab steering kit, probably one of the biggest lock kits in the market (around 66 degrees of lock)

Here is a 555 knuckle kit being well used, made from the people at C's Garage, and available for S13, S14/15, A31, C33, C34, & C35.
Please make this real. Like an option for increasing steering angle for us drifters and other kinds of driving. The ability of choosing the type of kit for the car you are in would be nice, plus having D1SL or D1GP-spec steering lock would be cool too (just like in rFactor). It ain't that hard, c'mon PD, make this happen. We all know it's possible (It was in GT5P... so i can't see why they would exclude it in GT5 and 6). It ain't a negative in grip racing neither. It could make it (along with other features such as engine swaps and stuff like that) an awesome drifter-training base.
EXAMPLE OF STEERING LOCK KIT:
555info.jpg

UPDATE v1: Seems that they are hearing us. Now PD, make that angle lock possible for all kind of modes, not just Drift Trials!
CASTER ADJUSTING
Also having the option of editing caster would be awesome for both racing and drifting in general, plus making the game more complete.

HOW CASTER WORKS:

As seen on MotoIQ's, Basic Drift Chassis Setups Part 3, by Mike Kojima

"You want to run as much positive caster as you can get without hitting the fenders. Typically this is around 7 degrees or so on most cars. Caster really helps a drift car by making it self-steer better. When you start to drift, you can simply let go of the wheel and let if feed through your fingers and the car will counter faster than if you were steering it yourself. Caster also gives you more negative camber as the wheel turns which helps front grip. More caster helps the car turn in better and makes the car more stable as well. You probably don’t want to exceed 9 degrees of positive caster as this can actually cause understeer due to weight jacking as well as contribute to bump steer."

wheel_alignment_caster.jpg

Positive and negative caster explained. No modern car runs negative caster.
Untitled-1.jpg

This picture shows how positive caster increases negative camber as the wheel is turned, this is a good thing!

Last edited:
It was really in GT5P? I didn't really play that game at all...

Go pick it up! (5 dollars at the most from any normal gaming store) (Or watch a drift/tuning video). As I was saying, the graphics and physics lack quite a bit however, the tuning was imo 10x better (less features but more complete).

EDIT:

Please make this real. Like an option for increasing steering angle for us drifters. Like a few kits, D1SL or D1GP-spec steering lock. It ain't that hard, c'mon PD, make this happen. We all know it's possible (It was in GT5P... so i can't see why they would exclude it in GT5 and 6). It ain't a negative in grip racing neither. It could make it (along with other features such as engine swaps and stuff like that) an awesome drifter-training base.
Steering Angle.jpg
Steering Angle2.jpg
Steering Angle3.jpg

I don't know how to drift, but seeing those pictures I understand why you guys want to reduce the turning radius.

As a circuit race guy I want a rack option which would be standard, quick and race/custom. If the custom rack had two parameters rack speed (number of turns lock to lock) and the second parameter as number of degrees of wheel turn when at full lock it would cover off the needs of both a circuit guy who wants to speed up a rack when racing at Cote Dazur and the drift community who want to be able to turn the front wheels at a greater angle.

This would be very easy to implement. Although I have never played GT5P I understand that there was some kind of steering rack adjustment in that game.

No point if there is no 900° interior wheel rotation...

That is a separate issue which relates purely to the visuals and probably has its own thread in the features section - this feature is a custom rack to make drifting easier or less turns lock to lock on a tight race track like Cote Dazur to make racing easier and more realistic.

That is a separate issue which relates purely to the visuals and probably has its own thread in the features section - this feature is a custom rack to make drifting easier or less turns lock to lock on a tight race track like Cote Dazur to make racing easier and more realistic.
You need 900° to have a more realistic feel!:cheers:

Good job starting this up @Alexd1345 👍

Quick suggestion, would you be willing to add "caster adjustment" to your OP, since it goes hand in hand with steering lock and wheel rotation.

Another suggestion, can you specify that we should be able to use this feature in every mode. Ex. Race mode, drift mode... 👍
The racers would likely benefit as well. (Not sure though)

That'd be awesome, also, I would wish that the steering angle in the cockpit would be like Assetto Corsa. You turn the wheel a certain amount and in game, it does exactly what you're doing.

Back