Extra long DL times for GT-TV?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ChadSpeed
  • 22 comments
  • 2,140 views
Messages
668
Messages
ChadSpeed
Messages
xBSxChadSpeed
Has anyone else noticed this? For this very reason I have not DL'ed one GTTV vid, and now that they will be charging for them I wonder if they will increase the speed of the download? When I ran the speedtest.net on my pc and then my PS3 there was a over 3,000 KB speed difference with the PS3 being 3,000 kb slower than the PC. Since then I have opened PS3 specific ports but that doesn't seem to help the long DL times. I may be because I am used to fast DLs on my 360 and PC, but is anyone else think the GTTV Dl's are way to long, especially when they are not in DD5.1 and they will be costing money soon?:nervous:
 
Speed on your PC doesn't really mean much because its using a different server.

The GT-TV servers could be getting hammered and hence the slow downloads, or maybe they are just poor servers....

Also not all GT-TV stuff will cost money in the future, only certain content.
 
I have had to wait quite a time for GT-TV downloads also. It states on the GT5p news section that from August 1st the download speed will be improved for online content. It will also be possible to have 8 simultaneous background downloads running at the same time.
 
i know what you mean. Just yesterday by mistake I went to the GTTV section of the game and by mistake I deleted the opening movie. After that I decided to download it and it took bout 30-45 min. for the download to end. Ridiculous PD
 
I have noticed that all downloading via the PS3 is slower than my PC, using the PS3 browser is like going back to dial-up?!? I'm not very network savvy but it seems to me that a wireless network shouldn't be losing that much speed :confused:
 
I think their code just isn't up to it, which is why they will patch it in the August update. Also, you will finally be able to download GT-TV content in the background, which is / was another huge disadvantage in my eyes.
 
d/ling stuff via GT-TV has been pretty worthless. Although, DI would say it's me or my equipment... :rolleyes:
 
After that I decided to download it and it took bout 30-45 min. for the download to end. Ridiculous PD

30 - 45 minutes is hardly rediculous. The opening movie for GT4 was about 3.5GB in size. So if this is the same then 30 - 45 minutes is quite good for a 3.5GB download!
 
Thats hard to believe :boggled:

Actually, I was wrong, put your GT4 DVD into your PC, open it up and look at the file "GT4.VOL", that is the opening movie of GT4 and its actually 2.87GB.
 
Sorry, but the GT4.VOL file actually is the whole game data on the first layer of the GT4 DVD. It does contain the opening movie, but pretty much everything else as well.
 
Sorry, but the GT4.VOL file actually is the whole game data on the first layer of the GT4 DVD. It does contain the opening movie, but pretty much everything else as well.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. I have had to rip the GT4.VOL file in order to remove the opening movie from the game to create a backup into a single layered DVD (I also own an original as well).

The original game disc is 5.27 GB, and when you rip the movie from it you end up with an image about 3.19 GB in size.

EDIT: Just had a look, and its actually "GT4L1.VOL" that has the opening movie in it.

The original GT4L1.VOL files is roughly 2.2GB in size, and my backup of GT4 has a GT4L1.VOL file of only 94MB, so therefore the GT4 opening movie is about 2.1GB

That makes perfect sense, because 5.27GB - 2.1GB = 3.17GB (the opening movie wont be exactly 2.1GB, but just under).

Still if he downloaded a 2.1GB, or even a 2GB file in 30 - 45 minutes its not a "rediculously" long time to wait for a file that size.
 
Given the video files in GT4 are the usual DVD mpeg2 stream, a video with 2.87 GB filesize should be about 39 minutes long. Considering the ending movie was about the same length or even longer than the opening sequence, both movies together would make up about the whole of the game filesize. Sorry, this doesn't add up.

And I ripped the GT4 DVD as well. It's too long ago to remember all details, but I do know there were two files called GT4.VOL (DVD layer 0) and GT4L1.VOL (DVD layer 1), containing all the game data. I would be very mistaken if the whole opening movie would fill the GT4L1.VOL. There's something deep in the back of my head that there was a way to remove all videos from the original disc image to be able to squeeze it onto a 1 layer DVD. Probably you mean that, no?
 
Actually, I was wrong, put your GT4 DVD into your PC, open it up and look at the file "GT4.VOL", that is the opening movie of GT4 and its actually 2.87GB.


I don't think that file only contains the intro otherwise it would have a bitrate of 117* Mbit/s, that's even higher than Blu-ray
which is 36 Mbit/s ;)


(* 2938 MB / 200 sec x 8 = 117)
 
Given the video files in GT4 are the usual DVD mpeg2 stream, a video with 2.87 GB filesize should be about 39 minutes long. Considering the ending movie was about the same length or even longer than the opening sequence, both movies together would make up about the whole of the game filesize. Sorry, this doesn't add up.

And I ripped the GT4 DVD as well. It's too long ago to remember all details, but I do know there were two files called GT4.VOL (DVD layer 0) and GT4L1.VOL (DVD layer 1), containing all the game data. I would be very mistaken if the whole opening movie would fill the GT4L1.VOL. There's something deep in the back of my head that there was a way to remove all videos from the original disc image to be able to squeeze it onto a 1 layer DVD. Probably you mean that, no?

I don't think that file only contains the intro otherwise it would have a bitrate of 117* Mbit/s, that's even higher than Blu-ray
which is 36 Mbit/s ;)


(* 2938 MB / 200 sec x 8 = 117)

As I said in my post above, it was GT4L1.VOL NOT GT4.VOL, I made a mistake there.

I am currently ripping GT4 to find the exact file size of GT4L1.VOL, however as I said above, from googling, the GT4L1.VOL file is approx 2.2GB, and the one I have in my backup is 94MB.

2.2GB - 94MB (0.1GB approx) = 2.1GB. Ergo the opening movie is 2.1GB is size.

Also as I said above, the full GT4 disc is 5.27GB and the backup is 3.19GB and the ONLY thing missing from it is the opening movie.

5.27 - 3.19 = 2.08 GB (near enough 2.1GB)....

EDIT: The original GT4L1.VOL file is 2.16GB and the backup is 94MB, so that means the opening movie contained within the GT4L1.VOL file is 2.06GB......
 
2.1 GB still too much for just the opening movie..

The bitrate would be 86 Mbit/s, i don't think a 295 Mhz CPU is gonna be enough for that :rolleyes:

[edit] That 94 MB file you mentioned could be the intro because that would have a bitrate of 3.75 Mbit's which is normal.
 
[edit] That 94 MB file you mentioned could be the intro because that would have a bitrate of 3.75 Mbit's which is normal.

Its not, because that 94MB file is only on my backup (the original is 2.2GB) and when I load up my backup I just get a black screen where the opening movie should be, until I press 'X' on the controller to skip it, then the game loads and plays just like the original from then on.
 
Another possibility is that they put some data junk into the file to blow it up and make the life of the rippers harder.

I understand your argument, but more than 2 GB for a 5 minute video file is just way too much, even for HD content.
 
Right, I spent the last hour or so de-compiling the GT4L1.VOL file from both my original and my backup of GT4, this is what I found....

The original game

GT4L1.VOL Original
20r60r.pss - 25.4 MB

akasaka.pss - 21.2 MB

apricot.pss - 23.2 MB

assisi.pss - 29.0 MB

autumn.pss - 25.2 MB

capri.pss - 29.6 MB

category.pss - 25.9 MB

course.ipic - 1.92 MB

deepforest.pss - 22.2 MB

ending.pss - 474 MB

fisco.pss - 32.3 MB

fisco_old.pss - 26.1 MB

grandcanyon.pss - 25.9 MB

grandvalley - 35.0 MB

grandvalley_east.pss - 35.0 MB

gymkhana.pss - 28.8 MB

highspeedring.pss - 30.3 MB

hongkong.pss - 27.7 MB

icerace.pss - 30.0 MB

infineon.pss - 26.2 MB

infineon_nascar.pss - 25.9 MB

kashiwa.pss - 21.4 MB

laguna.pss - 34.7 MB

lasvegas.pss - 18.5 MB

maker_game.pss - 13.9 MB

midfield.pss - 24.9 MB

mini.pss - 23.7 MB

montecarlo.pss - 25.0 MB

motegi.pss - 25.7 MB

motegi_east.pss - 24.6 MB

motegi_west.pss - 25.0 MB

new_fisco.pss - 26.3 MB

new_fisco_gt.pss - 23.5 MB

newyork.pss - 28.0 MB

nurburgring.pss - 29.6 MB

nursnow.pss - 25.1 MB

opening.pss - 252 MB

oval.pss - 25.0 MB

paris_rally.pss - 35.3 MB

paris_tarmac.pss - 24.7 MB

route5.pss - 25.2 MB

route5_club.pss - 24.8 MB

sarthe.pss - 25.5 MB

sarthe_old.pss - 25.9 MB

seattle.pss - 25.7 MB

seoul.pss - 25.0 MB

smtsouth.pss - 25.6 MB

start_game.pss - 8.64 MB

suzuka.pss - 25.4 MB

suzuka_east.pss - 24.8 MB

suzuka_west.pss - 25.4 MB

tahiti_maze.pss - 26.6 MB

testcourse.pss - 25.4 MB

trialmt.pss - 34.2 MB

tsukuba.pss - 28.7 MB

tsukuba_wet.pss - 22.2 MB

yosemite.pss - 31.5 MB

yosemite_dirt.pss - 24.8 MB

yosemite_dirt_short.pss - 26.3 MB



Total File size = 2189.36 MB (2.14 GB)

The backup game

GT4L1.VOL Backup
20r60r.pss - 25.4 MB

akasaka.pss - 25.4 MB

apricot.pss - 25.4 MB

assisi.pss - 25.4 MB

autumn.pss - 25.4 MB

capri.pss - 25.4 MB

category.pss - 25.9 MB

course.ipic - 1.92 MB

deepforest.pss - 25.4 MB

ending.pss - 25.4 MB

fisco.pss - 25.4 MB

fisco_old.pss - 25.4 MB

grandcanyon.pss - 25.4 MB

grandvalley - 25.4 MB

grandvalley_east.pss - 25.4 MB

gymkhana.pss - 25.4 MB

highspeedring.pss - 25.4 MB

hongkong.pss - 25.4 MB

icerace.pss - 25.4 MB

infineon.pss - 25.4 MB

infineon_nascar.pss - 25.4 MB

kashiwa.pss - 25.4 MB

laguna.pss - 25.4 MB

lasvegas.pss - 25.4 MB

maker_game.pss - 13.9 MB

midfield.pss - 25.4 MB

mini.pss - 25.4 MB

montecarlo.pss - 25.4 MB

motegi.pss - 25.4 MB

motegi_east.pss - 25.4 MB

motegi_west.pss - 25.4 MB

new_fisco.pss - 25.4 MB

new_fisco_gt.pss - 25.4 MB

newyork.pss - 25.4 MB

nurburgring.pss - 25.4 MB

nursnow.pss - 25.4 MB

opening.pss - 25.4 MB

oval.pss - 25.4 MB

paris_rally.pss - 25.4 MB

paris_tarmac.pss - 25.4 MB

route5.pss - 25.4 MB

route5_club.pss - 25.4 MB

sarthe.pss - 25.4 MB

sarthe_old.pss - 25.4 MB

seattle.pss - 25.4 MB

seoul.pss - 25.4 MB

smtsouth.pss - 25.4 MB

start_game.pss - 8.64 MB

suzuka.pss - 25.4 MB

suzuka_east.pss - 25.4 MB

suzuka_west.pss - 25.4 MB

tahiti_maze.pss - 25.4 MB

testcourse.pss - 25.4 MB

trialmt.pss - 25.4 MB

tsukuba.pss - 25.4 MB

tsukuba_wet.pss - 25.4 MB

yosemite.pss - 25.4 MB

yosemite_dirt.pss - 25.4 MB

yosemite_dirt_short.pss - 25.4 MB



Total File size = 1447.36 MB (1.41 GB)

So it appears you guys were correct. It seems like what I did with the backup was replace all the original files with a 25.4 MB dummy file.

However, what is now confusing me now, is that the total size of all the .pss files from the backup add up to 1.41 GB in size, but the actual GT4L1.VOL file from my GT4 backup only shows up as 94 MB....

That makes no sense! It should appear as 1.41 GB or there abouts...NOT 94 MB!

Anyway, I think we should get back to the original topic.
 
I think they seriously messed with the filesizes on the disc to make this game as hard to copy as it gets. If you access the table of contents of a disc, you can tell it that file X is huge, while it actually is very small.
 
I think they seriously messed with the filesizes on the disc to make this game as hard to copy as it gets. If you access the table of contents of a disc, you can tell it that file X is huge, while it actually is very small.

God knows mate, I made my backup in 2005, so I cant really remember much about doing it and what I read about it while doing it.
 
The opening movie is like what 2 minutes long on GT5:P. Assuming a bitrate of 30mbit/s, it should take up 450mbytes.

30-45 mins to download that is between ~250kbyte/s and ~167kbyte/s which isn't too bad.

If it's only like 15mbit/s though and it's like 1min 30s long (not sure how long it is), then it's only like 170mbyte big, which means you're getting 90kb/s or less.


The GT4 opening movie sounds about right at 25mbyte. To the person claiming it's 2 gigs, that's just plain ridiculous. The maximum bitrate DVD video can handle is like 9mbit or so. So best case scenario is it's 135megs (2 minutes).
 
It seems we got a bit off topic, but nonetheless great info. Good to know we have the ability to backround Dl and better code coming soon.:)
 
Back