Extracting more "fun" out of Horizon

So the game's pretty much been collecting dust since I bought it.

Got suggestions for making Horizon more fun? Might as well get into it a bit, since got no plans of getting an X1 any time soon.

No sarcastic remarks please, just good ol' tips and suggestions. :lol:

That depends on what you like to do, mate! You could:

1) Do MOAR BURNOUTS, BRO!
2) Get the rally expansion, turn off the suggested line and try to set LB times.
3) See how far you can punt a Prius with a Zonda at 200 mph.
4) Rip through the tunnel with engines of different displacements and cylinder counts.
5) Tailgate cars on the freeway, downshift 3 times and rip past them, tailgate the next car, and repeat.

I could go on all day! It just depend on what you like to do in a car!!

OK, the first one.. I LIKE! Puny tire smoke effects though... :rolleyes:

Can't get the expansion pack, I don't do XLive.

Third one sounds really interesting.

The tunnel sounds are very good in Horizon, better than FM4 actually.

I don't understand that last one, elaborate will ya? What's "tailgating" and why would I want to downshift three times?! :odd:

Happy motoring! :cheers:

I like to do what I call the Carson Loop.

Go into the front entrance of the Carson media centre, follow the traffic flow under the arch of the building and nail the roundabout in third. Exit through the security gates and go straight across the road. This goes slightly downhill and there's a series of corners that really test the car if driven within sensible real world speed limits. When done right, it feels great. Then turn left into the first dirt road and left again back onto the main road next to the golf course and back to the media centre. Best bit of driving road in the game, IMO.

Tailgating:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailgating

If you're cruising along in 6th, you've got to drop to 3rd to get the best launch around the car you were tailgating. It is a clear form of ass-hattery!!

"Ass-hattery"...! I like that!

VXR
I like to do what I call the Carson Loop.

Go into the front entrance of the Carson media centre, follow the traffic flow under the arch of the building and nail the roundabout in third. Exit through the security gates and go straight across the road. This goes slightly downhill and there's a series of corners that really test the car if driven within sensible real world speed limits. When done right, it feels great. Then turn left into the first dirt road and left again back onto the main road next to the golf course and back to the media centre. Best bit of driving road in the game, IMO.

Sounds like loads of fun. Will give it a go for sure! :D

And guys, how can I make the engine's sound louder? They get so wierd in some races; was driving a Sirocco in B class...I could barely hear the engine. Just a muffled V6 sound from every perspective. Then there was this Ferrari race in A class; driving a California... boy it sounded awful.. synthesized and muted with practically NO sound coming from the engine as you let go of the throttle.

How hard can it be to make an open road game with an exact copy/past of FM physics and engine sounds?

Oh well, it has its moments. The night driving is fun, wish the headlights reached out further. I hope the next Horizon game has a toggle button for hi/low beams.

Any suggestions for making the engines sound louder? The environmental and arcade race/driving effects are way too loud.

Sadly you can't. Try playing on a good TV headphone such as the Sennheiser HD202. There's plenty of the car's sound there it's just been lost in the mix.

^^ Exactly: "lost in the mix". You put it well. Some cars do sound good, others are mute.

My sound system is reasonably beefy in it's own right and works great for my gaming needs. I hope they're improving this aspect in H2.

Just discovered the beast that is emulating the Challenger Hellcat with the 392. All race upgrades, with stock displacement and the Supercharger conversion will yield 718bhp and it sounds just as unhinged as the real car. Deploying all that force on undulating roads has reinvigorated my enjoyment from this game for sure.

image.jpg

I like to take less powerful cars like the Mazda RX-3 or Dino 246 and go for a long drive. I like to get in the groove and really enjoy the car. For me, the less powerful cars are more rewarding to drive. I can spend hours in a BMW 1-series hatchback versus just a few minutes in a Noble or Hennessey.

Driving less powerful cars has always been fun in any Forza game.

However, I'm just not used to playing or even enjoying a Forza game running at 30 fps - gosh how I tried!
Plus, the engine sounds are just not doing it for me, and driving is far too forgiving.

I've deleted it from my HDD for good this time!

I drove the stock 135i yesterday for half an hour. Found a good stretch of road and just kept on driving it.

However, I'm just not used to playing or even enjoying a Forza game running at 30 fps - gosh how I tried!
It's a shame you weren't able to enjoy Horizon, but I respect it just wasn't doing it for you. To me, the difference between 30fps and 60fps is so negligible as to be non-existent.

It's a shame you weren't able to enjoy Horizon, but I respect it just wasn't doing it for you. To me, the difference between 30fps and 60fps is so negligible as to be non-existent.

Really?? Well, you're lucky I guess!

Have you ever gamed on a beefy PC? If you have one'o'dem' motion enhancements turned on, you most likely will not be able to spot the difference. On a not too fancy shmancy 60 Hz HDTV with no motion refresh enhancements, it is quite obvious. Going from 60 fps to 30 fps games almost makes your eyes bleed, well.. almost! More eye strain.

Also, 30 fps games feel laggy to me, as if I'm lost in some lucid dream. At least driving and shooting games should be locked in at 60 fps. Games should look and feel like games, not juddery movies.

Back