F1 2010 compared to Forza 3

Mustangman99
Well, I love FM3, and I love F1. So when F1 2010 came out, I had to try it. Here is what I thought:

THE BAD
1. No Replay - This is a big deal to me. This means for multiplayer races you can't review the events in the race. You can't save a replay to post online. You can't take pictures. You can't review the telemetry from a practice. It's seems like an odd omission for a racing game these days.

2. Limited tuning - Compared to Forza, the tuning aspect of F1 2010 seems much more simplistic. I think my expectation were that tuning would involve very minute adjustments, because big changes would upset the car's balance on track. Instead, it reminds me of raising and lowering a bike seat. The changes are done in notches, and you may or may never really be satisfied with the notches they listed. Of course, it's hard to know because you can't review your performance in the telemetry!

3. Wheel lock-up - Apparently this has been written in a lot of other places as well. In dry racing, it does appear rather difficult to actually lock up the wheels. Interestingly, I thought it was much easier to do in wet weather. Go figure. Anyway, they will eventually sort of lock up, but you never really get an audio or visual clue of it happening, and it only becomes noticeable when you try to turn at the same time.

4. AI Difficulty - It's tough to gauge this one, but on hard level the AI drivers still seem to be... well, not all that hard. Sure, they're quick, but I've only just started to learn the game and I'm running faster laps than most of the field.

5. Other - Some of these are limitations of the F1 series in general, or just basic game mechanics. Can't see cars nearby. Damage seems limited to wings and tires. Brake line is borderline distracting. Engine sounds can get a little annoying after a couple hours. Lewis Hamilton is in the game.

THE GOOD

1. The Tracks - They are great. They feel like they're scaled much better than Forza. When I've watched in-car videos of tracks in Forza, they seem much shorter in real life. F1 2010 seems to get that right, and the tracks feel more claustrophobic with other cars nearby. The lighting seems more realistic as well.

2. The Weather - It's all it was purported to be. Is it raining a little or a lot? You'll know the difference. It's cloudy and cool? You'll feel that too.

3. Full race weekends - This is more of a career mode thing, but the entire weekend feels immersive. I believe you can do the same qualifying and raceday events in the multiplayer as well, so that could make that element more interesting and less cumbersome than Forza.

4. Other - It's F1! Sector timing. Tire wear and fuel load is modeled perfectly. Pit stop repairs. Graphics seem solid.

All in all, I would say it's a solid game, but there are flaws that will ultimately limit it's lifespan for multiplayer, I think. The career mode looks fun, but once that's done, then what? When you consider that Forza offers the ability to paints cars, tune them to greater detail, and save replays and pictures, it's hard to imagine F1 2010 would ever eclipse the already community available.

Well surely lock up is only really noticable when you try to turn in, hence the lock part. I certainly dont find it difficult to do.

Is turning while braking count as a lock up? Because I've had quite a few of those moments.:)

Locking your wheels means the car's intertia is still pushing the car forwards, but the brakes have applied too much pressure to the wheels, stopping them from moving, and you hear the squealing sound.

I can easily lock the wheels, have you turned the braking assists off and turned up the difficulty?
I'm quite suspicious that there are different physics running for each difficulty level, as people claim to have turned off aids yet also say they don't suffer oversteer much or lock brakes? I find it very easy do both of these, almost all of sector two of Bahrain is oversteer and locked brakes the first time you play the game!

I also don't agree that the AI are easy, on my career playthrough with Lotus on Legendary its very difficult to run ahead of 17th and beyond without being constantly under pressure. Only at Australia, China and Istanbul did I get any breathing space and thats only because the AI take some corners at these tracks too slowly. Malaysia was pretty tough and Catalunya was close to impossible to run even in front of the new teams.

I agree that the limited tuning detracts from the game, though there isn't really much tuning you can do with F1 cars anyway. I think its not a valid comparison with Forza...its not really competing with it, its more to compliment it. Forza (and Gran Turismo) provide different experiences and allow broader physics models. With a focused F1 game, you get a more focused physics engine and a comprehensive line up of cars and tracks for at least one season. I don't think anyone ever thought this game would be a replacement for Forza or anything. You buy this game to go with Forza or GT (or both) and its aimed more at F1 fans than racing game fans.

Last edited:
I've got to be honest, despite the default setups from race engineers saying I'll have over steer, I never experience it. If anything, I experience understeer.

I must be playing a different game then. Mine is awesome and has plenty of oversteer if you set the car up for it.

Just on a comparison note.

The R1 class In Forza with all aids off, is a lot more difficult to control than F1 with all aids off.

Something I wouldn't have thought off.

For those wanting more lock up with there brakes, try turning the brake saturation all the way down. This doesn't effect the dead zone of the pedal, you still have full range but less sensitivity. It might help the sadists amongst us.

You can't compare these 2. It's id exactly like comparing an F1 car to a road car.

Back