F1 2010 Useful Tips

• Thread starter JHunt
  • 19 comments
Does everyone agree on these tips:

http://www.pubarticles.com/article-...lp-you-win-f1-2010-must-see-i-1285754615.html

Top 10 Useful Tips to Help You Win F1 2010- 1. Host your own races

If it's been a while since you played an F1 game, you may only know a handful of tracks, or even one. If this sounds like you, set up your own lobby and make sure you only race on the circuits you know. If people don't like it, they can go elsewhere. You can also vote to skip tracks in Quick Race and it's entirely possible that other people will dislike the same tracks as you.

Top 10 Useful Tips to Help You Win F1 2010- 2. Hang back at the start
This being an online racing game, there is always a pile-up at the first corner. Always. So simply try not to get involved. Pretend to miss the green light on the start line, or get over to the very inside of turn one and stay there. Everyone else will move to the outside of the corner as they crash, leaving you free to drive on through the debris.

Top 10 Useful Tips to Help You Win F1 2010- 3. Sell 'em a dummy

It's a classic Nigel Mansell move but very useful online. If you're stuck behind someone and having trouble getting past, 'sell them a dummy' by pretending to go for an overtake on one side, before quickly darting back to the other. Be careful not to do this as they start braking, as you'll crash into them and cause all kinds of problems. Here's Mansell passing Piquet in the 1987 British Grand Prix - all kinds of awesome, only spoiled here by godawful commentary.

Top 10 Useful Tips to Help You Win F1 2010- 4. Try not to hit anyone

It may sound obvious, but it's genuinely good advice. Knocking into someone and benefiting from the incident will earn you a ten second post-race penalty, or worse still, disqualification. Don't even think about going the wrong way round the track – the game will ghost you out and disqualify you too. Avoiding people for the entire race will also yield a trophy/achievement for being a 'perfect gentleman'. Who better to learn from then French gentleman Alain Prost - watch how he falls back as Senna blocks him in the 1993 British GP until he finally gets his chance. Online racing on F1 2010 is exactly like this:

Top 10 Useful Tips to Help You Win F1 2010- 5. Use the pit time to get your settings right

There's nothing wrong with switching on the stability assists in a public game. While sitting in the pits for the 30 seconds before the race begins, push start and make sure your ABS and traction assist settings are on. There's no point in going out in expert mode if no-one else is. Private games may have strict rules, but anything goes in a public race. Oh, and make sure the auto-brake is off. It's going to be impossible to overtake people with it on, even if it does mean you can stay on the road better.

Top 10 Useful Tips to Help You Win F1 2010- 6. Learn how to dodge idiots

Some people will do anything to spoil your fun. If you find yourself just ahead of someone you suspect may try to take you off at the next turn, make sure they don't get the chance. Try to get out of ramming range at hairpins by getting out of the firing line as quickly as possible and dealing with the corner itself a little later than usual. Another trick is to approach the corner wide, move to the inside way earlier than normal and slam on the brakes – they'll most likely miss you and fly past into the gravel.

Top 10 Useful Tips to Help You Win F1 2010- 7. Try passing around the outside

After a few laps on any setting above medium, you'll notice low little grip there is under acceleration. You can use this to your advantage in a close battle. At hairpins in particular, you may find you've got better acceleration from attempting to pass around the outside of a rival. At worst, you'll wind up right on their rear wing for the next straight, at best they'll spin trying to outrun you on the exit. Time for another real-world example? Why the hell not. 1990, Mexico...

Top 10 Useful Tips to Help You Win F1 2010- 8. Brake for the corners

Honestly, it sounds like I'm being patronising, but so many people online are just going as fast as they can and missing the corners by a country mile. So even if you're a complete newcomer, if you just remember to slow down for the turns and stay on the road, you'll pick up loads of places. And there's so much satisfaction in seeing the people who don't brake quit out.

Quite often, you'll be able to get past someone you're following simply by sticking to your normal braking point, even if they are playing properly.

Top 10 Useful Tips to Help You Win F1 2010- 9. Stay away from the pros

If you're in the position where you're winning races comfortably and then someone joins who threatens that superiority, don't worry about honour or good sport, just go elsewhere. Personally I'd never shy away from a good race, but there's no rule saying you have to accept every challenge that comes your way. There are plenty of rooms full of noobs to beat if you're after an easy achievement/trophy for level 50 online rep.

Top 10 Useful Tips to Help You Win F1 2010- 10. Know where you're fast

Finally, if you get stuck behind someone who's almost as quick as you but not quite, don't go mad trying to pass them at every turn. You risk losing your front wing or getting a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct if you hit them. So wait until you get to a part of the track where you know you're much faster, then hang back a bit as you approach. Use the momentum from your amazing racing line to sail past them down the next straight. Then refer to point 6. Just in case.

While the lobbies are currently full of people who clearly bought the game to play it like Burnout, things should get better as more people get used to playing the game properly and fewer idiots go online to cause mayhem. But there's success to be had from these early days, so get out there are nail those achievements/trophies. Then look out for me online when you think you're ready. I'll be there.

Last edited:
these are all good tips indeed

I definitely use the "Sell 'em a dummy" manoeuvre when going for an overtake.

and braking before the corners is a must, as it dramatically reduces your turning ability if your braking while turning.

Last edited:
wow J you sound like you have some real world experience ... lol, I think it would be fun running behind you and watching the chess game you'd put on the guy that your playing with.....lol

wow J you sound like you have some real world experience ... lol, I think it would be fun running behind you and watching the chess game you'd put on the guy that your playing with.....lol

Lefty...don't belive that for 1 min...I pick that up from a web-site.....click on it at the top of page......nice web-site on different things

these are all good tips indeed

and baking before the corners is a must, as it dramatically reduces your turning ability if your braking while turning.

Is that with an easy bake oven upgrade :)

All good tips; I am 'meeting' some good racers online by using a blue tooth.

l'm running career at 20% race distance , l try to qualify on prime tires whenever possible .
This does 2 things , ( 1 ) gets me into pits later than the AI . ( 2 ) allows a strong finish on option tires.

Good tips. There isn't as much punters than in most racing games because it's hard to control the car. Only worry about punters in the1st corner. :)

l'm running career at 20% race distance , l try to qualify on prime tires whenever possible .
This does 2 things , ( 1 ) gets me into pits later than the AI . ( 2 ) allows a strong finish on option tires.

Really good idea. Thanks for this as I run 20% on career also.
CK

Definitely think the spin-out counter technique mentioned in the main thread deserves to be here. I tried it out several times yesterday and it can be a position saver for sure. Very handy.

Definitely think the spin-out counter technique mentioned in the main thread deserves to be here. I tried it out several times yesterday and it can be a position saver for sure. Very handy.

Is that when you 'stab' at the brakes and the car seems to pivot at the centre and then gets pointed in the right direction again? That is what I have experienced - too many spins :lol:

Last edited:
Good tips. There isn't as much punters than in most racing games because it's hard to control the car. Only worry about punters in the1st corner. :)

There are definitely less punters here than in some racing games (GT5P being a major culprit), but you've also got to watch the very last few corners. I was racing at Melbourne the other day and was running in 2nd, came up to the final slow corner and some *&%£ took me right out, I ended up in 5th or so. Same thing at Turkey another day. I guess you've just got to expect it playing in random public games.

I only get chances here and there to play as I have little kid to look after, but please feel free to add me to your friends network, my PSN is codswallop. I'm OK, I play with a standard controller (I do have a DFGT on order), but do my best to race with a bit of respect.

Maybe see some of you out there :)

Is that when you 'stab' at the brakes and the car seems to pivit at the centrre and then gets pointed in the right direction again?

Yep, that is the one. An amazingly effective, and unrealistic, technique to recover from the initial stages of a spin. Glad I fell across it ;).

There are definitely less punters here than in some racing games (GT5P being a major culprit), but you've also got to watch the very last few corners. I was racing at Melbourne the other day and was running in 2nd, came up to the final slow corner and some *&%£ took me right out, I ended up in 5th or so. Same thing at Turkey another day. I guess you've just got to expect it playing in random public games.

On the other hand, when following another driver, it can be equally difficult to anticipate their breaking points. So I know for me on occasion I will "punt" someone but by no means was it intentional. Usually they break early, sometimes I forget my breaking point and I break late and other times I break a little early trying to be cautious and get rammed by the car behind me which shoots me into the car I was trying to avoid. Sooo... all I'm saying is that each punt is not necessarily like every other, there are many flavors. It is a racing jungle out there ;).

On the other hand, when following another driver, it can be equally difficult to anticipate their breaking points. So I know for me on occasion I will "punt" someone but by no means was it intentional. Usually they break early, sometimes I forget my breaking point and I break late and other times I break a little early trying to be cautious and get rammed by the car behind me which shoots me into the car I was trying to avoid. Sooo... all I'm saying is that each punt is not necessarily like every other, there are many flavors. It is a racing jungle out there ;).

Fair play, but I swear those 2 occasions were just last ditch attempts to get ahead by whatever means necessary. To be honest both times I saw them coming and thought "surely he's not just going to pile into the back of me...."

Oh well, its just a game eh...

Fair play, but I swear those 2 occasions were just last ditch attempts to get ahead by whatever means necessary. To be honest both times I saw them coming and thought "surely he's not just going to pile into the back of me...."

Yeah, imagine if it meant you had to buy a new F1 car (millions) :)

Eventually we will all have a clean racers friends list 👍

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree the :mischievous: rear end job is still very much a "valid" overtaking technique to some. :scared::lol:

Back