F1 2011 Gearbox setup

• Thread starter enrico2914
  • 7 comments
Italy
Milan
Hi,

in F1 2011 gearbox setup is expressed in kph.

I've seen that in other F1 games gearbox is expressed in gears ratio (such es 20/25).
These xx/xx ratios can be converted in kph considering engine RPM, wheel circumference and differential ratio of the specific car.

(So it seems to me that F1 2011 uses some sort of simplified version for expressing gearbox setup).

So I have some questions about F1 2011 gear setup:

1)which are the standard assumptions for calculating these gear kph? Do these kph express the maximum speed that can be reached in each gear or which is the RPM they are related to?

3) which are the usual differential ratios used on a F1 car?

Thanks

Enrico

I don't know what happened to question 2 but well...;) I have to concur, it's somewhat simplified but both systems are easy to understand if one is using them a lot. I somehow like the simplified system a lot more, tho.

1) the numbers are more or less when you want to make the rev limiter kick in. For example, the 7th gear should always be set so that you'll hit it at the end of the longest straight with DRS enabled - unless you'd lose a lot of acceleration when doing so. In Monza, for example,you'd rather cruise at around 345kp/h instead of going up to 360kp/h since it'd cost too much acceleration.

2) depends if you're talking about the real thing or merely F1 2011. :)

Question 2 has been joined to question 1 :-)

About question 3 I was speaking about real f1 cars. .... Just to know and make some calculation ...

In today real f1 cars max RPM allowed is 18000.

Which is a safe RPM on which rev limited can kick in (before engine breaks down)?

Sorry for all these questions but I think these subjects are really interesting.

Di you know where to find documentation on these subjects?

I don't think the teams made this available to the public, I'm afraid. However, I guess current F1 engines are pretty safe to almost their max rpm on a regular base without blowing up. :)

I think they've some insight on such things, because of their close cooperation with Formula 1 nowadays, but obviously the engine stuff isn't life-like. It's still good, I guess.

There is a youtube video showing a previous generation (2006?) Cosworth V8 being wound up to it`s 20,000 rpm limiter and sitting there for a while. This was back when then 19,000 rpm limit was in effect.
So 18,000rpm is no sweat for these modern engines and hence they don`t let go anymore.

They could run to 22,000rpm in qual/race spec but would need more regular replacing/rebuilding than is currently permitted.

The current Cosworths are a upgraded version (extended life span) which in itself is a upgraded previous generation Cosworth V8.

Cosworth have been evolving this current engine for a while, whenever they come back to F1, they upgrade it to meet the current specs of the day.

Back in the mid 2000`s and then when it came back a few yrs ago, it is a reputation as the engine with the most power and lowest fuel consumption. Reliabilty is on par with other engines.
However it gets stuck in the back of low budget teams as a customer engine and is left at the back of the field.

Back