F1 2012 dry to wet tires

VolkswagenX

(Banned)
Netherlands
Netherlands
I'm on my first season in the marussia. I play on legendary and am able to stay in front of my team mate. My problem is the Barcelona GP. This is a race that start of dry but has rain on the 7th lap.

When to switch to inters or wets? After multiple restarts in races where I already completed 75% I know want to now what a good strategy is. Last time I stayed on the prime tire till lap 12 and then switched to inters. This seemed like the right choice until the last lap...:ill:

Any good indicators for when to switch tires?

Listen to what your race engineer has to say about when the rain is due to arrive and cease. If you know it's gonna get wetter, try and pit earlier than your opposition. I've done this before and have gotten a big jump on my competitors in doing so most of the time. The best example I have being at Montreal in my first season, driving for Williams. I pitted for intermediates just before the track got saturated. Most of the others got caught out and spun off/crashed. It got so bad that the safety car had to be deployed. I led for a while on wets as well, but got dropped to fourth in the pits after being delayed in being released from my pit box by those expansion teams. I was never a threat for the lead afterwards, but it was my best finish to that point.

Listen to what your race engineer has to say about when the rain is due to arrive and cease. If you know it's gonna get wetter, try and pit earlier than your opposition. I've done this before and have gotten a big jump on my competitors in doing so most of the time. The best example I have being at Montreal in my first season, driving for Williams. I pitted for intermediates just before the track got saturated. Most of the others got caught out and spun off/crashed. It got so bad that the safety car had to be deployed. I led for a while on wets as well, but got dropped to fourth in the pits after being delayed in being released from my pit box by those expansion teams. I was never a threat for the lead afterwards, but it was my best finish to that point.

Did that on my first attempt. Drove in the rain for 2 laps on the options and went in for inters. Came out of the pits and the car was uncontrolable :S. Did a retry after that but started with the primes so I could pit later. Looked like it was raining hard but I could still lap fast on the primes. I pitted on the 12th lap and switched to inters. Now they worked great but only for a few laps :( because I clearly need full wets on the last to laps.

Should I just skip the inters and go full wets on the 12th lap? Its 17 lap race by the way.

It is still difficult to read the track. Especially when to switch to intermediates of full wets. It still can rain with clear blue skies, despite it would be fixed in the last update. That's my biggesr frustration with this game.

You have to do everything on feel alone with this game. Don't trust anything you see on the screen when it starts to rain.
When it starts to rain, stay out until you feel a significant drop in grip, then change tyres. Also, pay attention to what the AI is doing.

If you feel the drop in grip and pit at the right time, you usually end up pitting 1 lap before the AI does. If you miss this 1 lap window, just pit with the AI.

I just pit whenever the AI pits and change to what tires the AI chooses. Sometimes, it just rains for a little while and it stops so its better just to stay out. The engineer will also say "Light/Heavy rain in X minutes" so watch out for that. The weather system is horrible in this game but sometimes it could work to your advantage.

Also check the weather forecast before a race-if it is for rain you may want to increae your wings' downforce.

If it is raining when the race menu opens up go with whatever tire is prescribed-intermediate or full wets

Once raining I always try and be a 'rain meister' and stay on slicks as long as possible.

Caution! Engineer sometiimes gives inaccurate information on race weather eh

Also, a little tip: Intermediates and wets can't be pushed very hard on the out lap. Take it easy on them for your first lap on them until you get some heat and grip into them.

I always look for the spray coming off the back of the car to determine the best time to switch to inters. And of course track conditions do play a part in that critical change-over period.

My advice: Switch when you feel like the track is too wet to continue on slicks.

The key is to look at the tire temperatures, when the tires go out of the green zone and start looking blue-ish then you know you need to change tires soon. This works very well for me and seems to be a but more reliable than the race engineer, he is usually off by a lap.

Back