F1 2017 overtake of the season

GTP_Ingram

Premium
United Kingdom
London
GTP_Ingram
NowtDaft
F1 just held a poll for the top 10 overtakes for the season. This was only ninth:

Sainz set Perez up for this pass several corners beforehand, held on around the outside of one of the fastest corners in F1, and cleanly dived down the inside of an off-camber corner that countless drivers were struggling with throughout the weekend. Am I missing something, or should this have been number one?

The winner was Ricciardo's triple pass at Baku. For reference, here's a rundown of the other overtakes.

Discuss...

It depends, Sainz pass is epic, but not possible without a tyre advantage(given the car footage of half a lap it looks like his advantage is quite massive. Video below),he had a much better exit and then maintained a close enough position to dive bomb him on the second last corner, granted it was off cambered it's a massive achievement.

Ricciardo's Pass on 3 cars ahead of him, requires him to outbrake 3 cars from the side of the corner that has the least amount of room to miss the braking point, granted if stroll or Hulkenburg braked around the same time Ricciardo would still have the overlap but Massa was pretty far ahead, the difference here is Ricciardo didn't have a tyre advantage(I think) only a car advantage.

I would say Sainz pass is more impressive because of more elements involved, but he "probably" had more speed advantage to make his work.

I would also say Ricciardo's pass on kimi at Monza was more impressive then the one at Baku as for Baku he had the overlap easily for Stroll and Hulkenburg but Massa was the main one required to make it work,and he was closer to him then Kimi was at Monza.

Last edited:
I voted for Sainz because it was one of the best overtakes we've seen for a very long time. I said it was PotY in the USGP thread as soon as it happened for a reason. The Ricciardo one was just a slipstream and a late braking move. The Sainz one was 6 corners of fighting finishing with around the outside of one of the fastest, longest corners on the calendar - in a car he'd driven for the first time 2 days ago. For it to come 9th is a disgrace.

Ricciardo's Pass on 3 cars ahead of him, requires him to outbrake 3 cars from the side of the corner that has the least amount of room to miss the braking point, granted if stroll or Hulkenburg braked around the same time Ricciardo would still have the overlap but Massa was pretty far ahead, the difference here is Ricciardo didn't have a tyre advantage(I think) only a car advantage.

The thing about that Ricciardo pass is that it isn't even the best pass he's made this season (preferred his late dive bomb on Kimi at Monza, which as you said came from further back) - and definitely not the best of his career (his 2014 dummy on Vettel, again at Monza, was incredible). It was very good, and it's obviously a big deal that he passed three cars at once, but there were a number of passes in the vote that were more spectacular.

Back