F1 2021 Wishlist and expectations.

MagpieRacer

Premium
England
Wymondham, Norfolk
MagpieRacer
F1 2020 was, on the whole, a huge hit, one of the highest rated F1 games of all time and thee highest rated since about 2003 with F1 Challenge.

So the task for Codemasters is a tough one. To maintain the upward curve they have created and better 2020. Here are my personal expectations and wishes for 2021 to improve on its amazing predecessor.

- It goes without saying that the 2020 calendar didn't end up how we, or Codemasters, expected. Therefore I don't think its an unfair expectation to expect the 2020 championship to be included in 2021 in its reduced Covid form. The onky circuit that may prove tricky is Istanbul. SMS have data and models for Portimao, Imola, Mugello and Nurburgring, which hopefully Codemasters will utilise to get those circuits done and in game (particularly as Imola is already confirmed for 2021 and Portimao is expected). Sakhir shouldn't take too much work to implement. Leaving Istanbul as a bit of an outsider. Older models may prove useful though but may not be at the quality of the others.

- As an extension to this. I would expect the 2021 calendar that ships with this game to match the real life calendar as we know it right now. Unlike 2020 when it was changing as they went and the game was in launch phase, this time they have had time and warning and I'm sure a lot of it has been worked on already. Particulalrly if they do include 2020 Covid calendar.

- More depth to MyTeam. This was the one single mode that really elevated 2020 to superstar levels. Now, it needs to be really pushed to further its potential. A scale on how much involvement we want in the back running would be amazing. The new rules around wind tunnel use should be implemented as part of the development of the car which also needs an overhaul to feel fresh and new.
It should emulate real world costs more in terms of entry fees and such to keep the cash flow balanced. After S10 I had over 700million sitting not needing to be used. This shoukd be negated hopefully by the implementation of real world cost cap which I expect to see reflected in the game.

- Customisation. A key criticism was the lack of Customisation afforded to players for the MyTeam and Multiplayer cars. A better livery editor is crucial therefore to push forward, not just for the cars but the suits and helmets too. Also, in MyTeam, more visual differences on the bodywork itself, to make the cars feel personal and unique, different wing and nose variations, barge board and side pod styles etc, doesnt have to be loads, 3 of each maybe just to keep it fresh. And the ability to have engine branding and some of the other standard appointments on the cars like the we race as one decals, fuel and lubricant suppliers, brake suppliers etc would be another great addition to the customisations.

- More driver transfers. I get the feeling Codemasters struggle to balance this. The first time they implemented this, it was too much, top drivers swapping teams randomly mid season and such, so they gave us the option to limit it to just off season moves. In 2p20, particularly in MyTeam, it doesn't happen enough. The lineup I had on the grid at the end of S10 was more or less the same as it was in S6. More retirements for older drivers, more realistic F2 promotions and more regular switch ups are needed. Perhaps a selectable scale of regularity and such needs to be implemented.

- F3. With F2 now having had 2 games and 3 seasons worth of cars to bed itself in. Now let's get F3 involved. Especially as they're running split calendars for 2021. Like F2, it's a singular spec car so is absolutely do able and opens up the in game driver market even more, and adds even more depth to the driver career mode. Make it optional for those who don't want to do it in career mode, like with F2 in 2020.

- Finally. Bring back better cutscenes and make driver rivalries more involving. Lets bring back the press conferences from F1 2010, podium interviews etc. Make contract negotiations more intense as a cutscene. More unique elements to the pre race cut scenes as well would be awesome.

F3 would be great !! But I"ll like to have also more classic cars and tracks.

I'd like to see them do F3 first as in the games current format the classic cars are a bit pointless in my humble opinion. They should bring back a proper classic scenario mode similar to 2012s champions mode to even give them a whiff of a point. :cool:

I guess if they do add Imola, Nurburgring, Istanbul, we kind get some more classicish circuits :D if I was gonna choose more classic content it would be new modes before actual cars or circuits.

I think F1 2020 is a great effort. I like the championship and the fact that you can change difficulty during races. Also the ability to save at any point during a race is a key feature.

I do like the classic F1 cars. Not so much for racing but for hot lapping.

F3 would be nice new feature, but I consider the real used tracks more important.

- fix networking / proper dedicated servers
- fix bugs / glitches that have existed for a very long time
- my tires are minus 200 degrees
- laser scanned or at least more correct tracks, spa bus stop chicane is an example which is just plain wrong in the game
- all tracks in the game even if not on the calendar would be cool
- more realistic tires / tire wear to allow for more realistic strategies. This is one area that is painfully obviously scripted. For example, drving slowly in a straight line still gives you tire wear on the formation lap. This is stupid.
- improved damage dynamics
- more consistent track limits, and improved limits in wheel to wheel racing situations
- if possible more sim like ffb and physics but its not bad as is, other things are more important to fix

Beside classic cars that we already have ( and many more could be added ) , it would be cool to have some classic tracks as well. If you think about it, there are only current tracks and some minor layouts change , but what about some real classic tracks ? For example: Jerez, Magny-Course, Adelaide, Estoriil, Brands-Hatch, Donington, Nurburgring etc.
I know that tracks are more demanding that cars, but each F1 installment just add more content to the previous one (which is fine of course) , that means that most of assetts are reused from past games. That said: how much time could require them to build at least 2-3 tracks?
Regarding cars, it would be cool to have also Formula3 vehicles. This way, you could start your carreer from F3, joining F2 and then F1 - without forcing you to do that , if you want to start with top category.

1.F3
2.Historic F2,F3
2.Historic tracks
3.Incredibal fantacy track

Disclaimer= Standalone series racing games are bad for the health of my favorite buffet titled games. (Pcars,Forza)

Last edited:
1.F3
2.Historic F2,F3
2.Historic tracks
3.Incredibal fantacy track

Disclaimer= Standalone series racing games are bad for the health of my favorite buffet titled games. (Pcars,Forza)

F3 would be a very welcome addition, not sure it offers much historically speaking?

There has been some interesting leaks, take them with a pinch of salt of course but it was leaked/listed on the Microsoft store before being pulled, with a July 16th release date as well.

Features-F1-1024x367.jpg

Firstly, something called "Braking Point" story. Hints at a proper story driven mode, perhaps similar in tone to Toca Race Driver?

Next up, 2 player career mode.

My Team will see the practice programs finally get overhauled and a new quick practice feature.

Drivers will get an additional attribute on top of the 4 in F1 2020, with a rating for Focus on top of the racecraft, awareness, experience and pace attributes.

Two interesting mentions but with no further detail are called "real season start" and "department events".

No mention of F3 or any 2020 F1 content but plenty to speculate about.

Well some interesting info there about F1 2021 as sounds like some further developments in the career mode.

Unless there's a special edition with a driver I like I've elected not to buy F1 2021 this year as although I love the sport and game series the fact it's a 10 year campaign each time means I never ever get very far, I always start off enthusiastically but then by about fourth or fifth race my interest wanes.

What I would like to see if a quicker career format so instead of being forced to do the 'practice' sessions I would like to see the option that we can skip them if we choose or have a simplified career without R&D so we go and just race in the car and leave the development to the team staff,

Or at the very least be able to choose the length of our career season for those of us that don't have as much time to dedicate to the game as others.

Well some interesting info there about F1 2021 as sounds like some further developments in the career mode.

Unless there's a special edition with a driver I like I've elected not to buy F1 2021 this year as although I love the sport and game series the fact it's a 10 year campaign each time means I never ever get very far, I always start off enthusiastically but then by about fourth or fifth race my interest wanes.

What I would like to see if a quicker career format so instead of being forced to do the 'practice' sessions I would like to see the option that we can skip them if we choose or have a simplified career without R&D so we go and just race in the car and leave the development to the team staff,

Or at the very least be able to choose the length of our career season for those of us that don't have as much time to dedicate to the game as others.

A lot of what you've said there is already done in F1 2020. You can simulate the practice sessions and still generate R&D points, looks like the quick practice in 2021 will offer a more hands on approach. You can also choose between 21, 16 and 10 race seasons in career mode in 2020 for quicker seasons. 👍

I'm the same, I usually can't get to the end of a full career, F1 2020 was the first time I did. 5 seasons of full calendar and 5 seasons doing 16 race calendar.

Last edited:
A lot of what you've said there is already done in F1 2020. You can simulate the practice sessions and still generate R&D points, looks like the quick practice in 2021 will offer a more hands on approach. You can also choose between 21, 16 and 10 race seasons in career mode in 2020 for quicker seasons. 👍

I'm the same, I usually can't get to the end of a full career, F1 2020 was the first time I did. 5 seasons of full calendar and 5 seasons doing 16 race calendar.

Fair enough, I guess me being the 'hands on' gamer I never realised that simulate could actually do the R&D and practice sessions for you. I will give this some thought in my new attempt to resume my career!

I just feel that doing a shorter season is a bit of a get out of jail card since I like so many of the tracks and it feels more natural doing them all.

Will see how I get on when career resumes tomorrow!

Fair enough, I guess me being the 'hands on' gamer I never realised that simulate could actually do the R&D and practice sessions for you. I will give this some thought in my new attempt to resume my career!

I just feel that doing a shorter season is a bit of a get out of jail card since I like so many of the tracks and it feels more natural doing them all.

Will see how I get on when career resumes tomorrow!

Yeah I had the same feeling. It let's you choose what tracks you do so on the 16 race calendar I'd just mix it up a little bit between seasons :D

Have fun!

Some more unconfirmed leaks trickling in. No bona fide sources for these but interesting no less. Hinting at 30 circuits at launch with the 23 of the calendar (which will include Imola and Portimao) plus 2 historic circuits (good bet for Nurburgring and Istanbul) and 5 short tracks (4 of which 2020 already has, perhaps Sakhir or Nurburgring Sprint being added)
2js0r2t32cq61.jpg
20210408_150107.jpg

Last edited:
Scrap Classic cars and F2 and focus on adding classic tracks. The more the better. You can build your own schedule for future seasons.

- More depth to MyTeam. This was the one single mode that really elevated 2020 to superstar levels. Now, it needs to be really pushed to further its potential. A scale on how much involvement we want in the back running would be amazing. The new rules around wind tunnel use should be implemented as part of the development of the car which also needs an overhaul to feel fresh and new.
It should emulate real world costs more in terms of entry fees and such to keep the cash flow balanced. After S10 I had over 700million sitting not needing to be used. This shoukd be negated hopefully by the implementation of real world cost cap which I expect to see reflected in the game.

- Customisation. A key criticism was the lack of Customisation afforded to players for the MyTeam and Multiplayer cars. A better livery editor is crucial therefore to push forward, not just for the cars but the suits and helmets too. Also, in MyTeam, more visual differences on the bodywork itself, to make the cars feel personal and unique, different wing and nose variations, barge board and side pod styles etc, doesnt have to be loads, 3 of each maybe just to keep it fresh. And the ability to have engine branding and some of the other standard appointments on the cars like the we race as one decals, fuel and lubricant suppliers, brake suppliers etc would be another great addition to the customisations.

MyTeam should let the player step back and manage 2 drivers in a team (but can re-race if they want), also implement reserve drivers and test drivers (for your team or others, like Hulkenberg). Also implement other new stuff like team order, but it can reduce your team's reputation if it's done. I think MyTeam and driver career should be also able to cross with each other, like after driving for an F1 team for a while, you quit the team and decided to start your own team with the collected budget (like starting a new team in season 4 or 5).

I agree that customisation should be emphasized here, not only the livery editor but also the car styles, and visual changes from fitting new parts.

Well if this 'rumour' of 30 tracks being included in the game is confirmed that may certainly 'sway' me on buying the game.

I was very disappointed in the end with the lack of the 'correct' calendar on 2020 as my posts from last year's game stated but I hope this rumour does prove correct as I will enjoy the game a lot more if I can do both 2020 and 2021 seasons.

I'd quite like to see correct tyre decals added to the sidewalls of the classic cars. Small detail I know but I can't see why they put the classic ones in and add the tyre logos in the respective liveries and then leave them off the actual sidewalls of the tyres.
Also more variety in the classics too, ones from smaller teams like Sauber, Jaguar, Arrows, Minardi, Caterham etc
Also classic tracks is another one, as mentioned by others.

Unless someone can enlighten me to why that is? Perhaps Pirelli have told them no? I'm not sure.

Back