FacetrackNoIR Tutorial for pCARS

• Thread starter DG_Silva
  • 3 comments
England
Birmingham, UK
DG Silva
I just want to point out that this is not my tutorial, but one in reply to Mister Dog I hope this helps you out, whatever game you want to play.

Big Update!!! for FaceTrackNoIR

Hi folks! This is my update-tutorial since the real-deal TrackIR-Support in Build 691.
FaceTrackNoIR now runs out of the box.

FaceTrackNoIR is a free tool which can do headtracking for games with a standard webcam. In
combination with the free demo of FaceTrackingAPI, which tracks the motion of your head with your
webcam, you can achieve a full motion cockpit-view in pCARS.

1) First to know:
-> FaceTrackNoIR only is needed if you want to track your head-movement with a CAMERA, instead of tracking-hardware like FreeTrack-stuff.
-> You need FaceTrackNoIR (v170 is working) and the additional 3rd party software-faceAPI from SeeingMachines (demo)
-> The quality and response of the tracking with FaceTrackNoIR depends of your camera and your CPU. Bad cameras with low resolution and less framerates will not work properly! So first buy a good camera, if you haven´t already, to get satisfying results! Otherwise don´t use FaceTrackNoIR.
-> This has the biggest impact!: Your room must be very bright, so the camera has enough light and contrast so the faceAPI can track your face. I will not work properly in a dark room.

2) How i works:

FaceTrackNoIR is a software, that emulates the known software and hardware of the company TrackIR. FaceTrackNoIR uses the faceAPI to track your head with a camera and sends these movement information, with the help of the game-protocol FreeTrack2.0, to the game. FreeTrack2.0 (which is implemented in FaceTrackNoIR) triggers the TrackIR-plugin in pCARS (it fakes the real TrackIR software) and sends the movement into the game.

3) Installation:

1) Download and install FaceTrackNoIR (at least v170)
2) Download and install the 3rd party software-faceAPI from SeeingMachines (you have to register for free and download DEMO)
3) Start FaceTrackNoIR and load a profile (you can test my first setup)
4) Make sure that your camera was detected
5) In the "Tracker Source"-field select the faceAPI
6) In the "Filter"-field select EWMA Filter (Here you can adjust the response of the cam. Have a try on that)
7) In the "Game protocol"-field select Free Track 2.0
8) Check the field "Global settings" like in the picture below
8) Click START and check if everything works
9) Start pCARS and change to the helmet-cam - IT ONLY WORKS WITH THE HELMET-CAM!

View attachment 134668

4) Trouble shooting:

1) If your camera lags in frames, try to increase the brightness of your cam. Start your camera´s software/setup and check brightness and contrast.
Also check your cam´s software/setup for interfering functions. My logitech camera for example has a function that automatically focuses my head and zooms to it. I had to turn that of.
2) FaceTrackNoIR needs some CPU-power, which depends of your camera-response. In combination with pCARS, which also needs some CPU, I would recommend a Intel i5 or a similar AMD CPU.
Have some fun with it (at least till the Oculus is shipped). If you have idead or feedback please leave it in this thread.
And if you found a good setup, please share it with us :)

Greets, Andreas

Here is a first test with the new TrackIR support, FaceTrackNoIR with faceAPI and a Logitech "QuickCam Fusion" webcam.
[video=youtube_share;fdmXFxXmknA]

Awesome, thanks for posting. I have a camera already (it came with my son's wonder book thing) so I'll try it out.

Thanks for posting 👍
Shame it doesn't seem to work in dark environments as the cam can't track your head anymore, won't be able to use it then after the misses and kids go to bed :D

Thanks for posting 👍
Shame it doesn't seem to work in dark environments as the cam can't track your head anymore, won't be able to use it then after the misses and kids go to bed :D
That's why my set up is in the garage :)

Latest Posts

Back