Fails and abadoned projects

• Thread starter ringkurier
  • 25 comments
Germany
Munich
Hi everybody,

do you have any projects in the GTS Livery Editor you were not satisfied with? Do you have abadoned liveries you simply could not get right or done?

Personally, it´s sometimes frustrating. You have an idea, you work sometimes one or more hours on a project and the results are quietly whimpering "Kill me"

Do you maybe want to talk about it and share your tears?

Last edited:
To make a start, I would like to share my Lufthansa AMG GT3 with you.

As I want to make it sport mode compatible, the Mercedes GT3 cars are a cruel mistress. There is simply not enough space on the side of the car to make a sponsor decal feel comfortable. Any sponsor with more than 3 letters will destroy the proportions of the car...

The beautiful C-Pillar is also very difficult to integrate into the design if you want to work with the wheel arches.

4683840371798606860_0.jpg
4684403330878833668_0.jpg

Maybe I will give it another try by moving the Lufthansa Decal to the side of the hood and add to the then unused space on the door a secondary sponsor.

Last edited:
May I say my current attemps for the LEC #43? :lol:

I‘ve picked an Organization with a clear identity, nice colours, and I thought it would be great as a livery, but after trying it on a dozen of Gr.3 and Gr.4 cars, I can’t get it right.

More seriously : my Original-Teile livery was stopped 20 months ago due to the results I had. I needed the kick of the LEC #42 to re-start and finish it.

I also have some unfinished replicas in the workshop, whether it be because I saw another one in the feed, or because I don’t find the motivation to refine them to the state I can release them (usually, an unknown sponsor or the drivers names).

And a couple of attemps of original liveries, which I usually keep for myself.

Good idea for a thread. I usually end up abandoning projects because of decal limit. I take on something too ambitious, realize I'm in trouble and then either give up, or try to simplify and economize to the point that I no longer like it and give up.

Two examples:

1. I wanted to do a livery inspired by this helmet. It's asymmetric, so I actually got to around 200-250 before I realized I was in trouble. It looks decent so far and I might go back and finish it, but it's going to take a lot of economizing and I haven't gone back to it.

2. I wanted to do this Indy pacecar, and I knew it was going to be a challenge and would have to be simplified, and I actually did simplify it to 150 decals per side. The problem is that i...just don't like it. It's not good enough to finish and share. Oh well.
agvwinterrossi2019b.jpg
6278105842113839620_0.jpg
73771b93cc29ef2d5257e268f077f0ec.jpg
6269665999383954948_0.jpg

Good idea for a thread. I usually end up abandoning projects because of decal limit. I take on something too ambitious, realize I'm in trouble and then either give up, or try to simplify and economize to the point that I no longer like it and give up.

Two examples:

1. I wanted to do a livery inspired by this helmet. It's asymmetric, so I actually got to around 200-250 before I realized I was in trouble. It looks decent so far and I might go back and finish it, but it's going to take a lot of economizing and I haven't gone back to it.

2. I wanted to do this Indy pacecar, and I knew it was going to be a challenge and would have to be simplified, and I actually did simplify it to 150 decals per side. The problem is that i...just don't like it. It's not good enough to finish and share. Oh well. View attachment 869425 View attachment 869426 View attachment 869427 View attachment 869428
Do you use some kind of vector drawing software like Inkscape of Illustrator?
Something which could be a pain with in-game shapes can easily be done with two or three custom SVG decals.

In your example, the Ferrari might be the hardest because the scratches are not easy to draw, but the Corvette flag might fit in one decal only.

Do you use some kind of vector drawing software like Inkscape of Illustrator?
Something which could be a pain with in-game shapes can easily be done with two or three custom SVG decals.

In your example, the Ferrari might be the hardest because the scratches are not easy to draw, but the Corvette flag might fit in one decal only.

No that's a good point. I don't have any experience with making my own decals. I wish I did as it would help a lot, but as it stands, I am a bit of a masochist when it comes to building things out of 100s of shapes. Lol.

I think I have to cancel my Jaguar VGT Project for the LEC 44. Initially, I was enthustiac about integrating the BA Logo into the lines of the car and make it electric with lightning and so on. But after a few hours it is disappointing. The cool BA logo transfer to lightning is online visible in a specific camera.
Also my friendly Jaguar dealer turned out to be a big pile of 🤬 beginners. Imagine walking into the store, asking for sedans and wagons and being told you should buy a 🤬 SUV cause it is so cool and better value and have you tried sitting higher. Bull 🤬! Who is the 🤬 head of sales ordering his stuff to tell clients something like that?
Sorry, I have lost control about what I want to say. Please check the photos of my misery. Time to say goodbye to it.

4828518507610145292_0.jpg
4836962767650981388_0.jpg

Last edited:
As someone who spends about half of his playtime in the editor, I too get a bunch. However, I don't like deleting these failed projects, usually what I'll do is save them and keep them so that I can come back to them and refurbish them in the future.

4972567734117236769_23.jpg

7071233065825076256_23.jpg

7205861669246862897_23.jpg

All of these three liveries above were saved from deletion, and I'm glad I did because the three of them managed around 20 likes. (16 for the RC-F, 19 for the GT-R, 22 for the Z4).

Sometimes It's good to keep things around instead of trashing them and just seeing how things go, in the case of these three it went well by my standards.

@MrWaflz55 I can´t delete it, too. Maybe I can improve it later or have an idea for it...

I have to say, that all three abandoned projects from you are quite good! Especially the Z4. It has that special privateer feeling I really love about the Z4 GT3.

Thank you for sharing my good sir!

The first try on a livery for our brand new GT4. Not happy with the result...

View attachment 874011 View attachment 874012

I actually quite like that. Put some proper sponsors on it and I'm sure that it'll flesh it out a bit more.

For sponsorship I'm thinking maybe some Eneos branding might work.

Recently made one for myself that I wasn't crazy about but pushed on anyways. I think it looks much better during a race than in the preview photos.

5909374790773243961_23.jpg

It only really comes together once you look at it from the top.

5909374790773243961_1.png

(and yes it is the launch livery with a couple alterations)

@MrWaflz55 I see you what you mean. Maybe, if you change the silver paint with the white decals, this could really shine? (If you want to do such an alternation) Cause the base idea is really beautiful!

I´m currently working on a new design for the Supra. It´s a bit tricky, cause it´s curves are more than you see at first sight. In my eyes the Supra- no matter if BMW or not - is a beautifully designed car.

I actually quite like that. Put some proper sponsors on it and I'm sure that it'll flesh it out a bit more.

For sponsorship I'm thinking maybe some Eneos branding might work.

Recently made one for myself that I wasn't crazy about but pushed on anyways. I think it looks much better during a race than in the preview photos.

View attachment 874013

It only really comes together once you look at it from the top.

View attachment 874014

(and yes it is the launch livery with a couple alterations)

ive COMPLETELY forgotten how to get that view in the gt website of my liveries, PLEASE refresh my memory

@Racerx_34 Those VGTs are pain in the backend to work with..

But I like the NSX. Have you tried spicing it up with some secondary sponsors? How does it look outside of the livery editor?

Keep up your good work!

@Racerx_34 Those VGTs are pain in the backend to work with..

But I like the NSX. Have you tried spicing it up with some secondary sponsors? How does it look outside of the livery editor?

Keep up your good work!

I probably should try some secondary sponsors on it, but I started doing competition liveries on here and left in on the back burner.

I have some. One of them is a black AMG GT3 with Petronas. Yes, way before Mercedes decided it was cool. I have never actually learned how to work with the AMG GT3 for some reason. From time to time, I'll go back to it only to leave it worse than it was.

Other things are on the shelves too. I'm having a really hard time making my Martini design work on the Cayman (I've been trying it since the car went for a podium some LECs ago), there are some Copersucar Fittipaldi replicas on open-wheelers that I gave up working on as well and a Nvidia Porsche that has been a long time coming, and although it is closer to being ready, it still demands some work.

Oh, and helmets are 🤬 impossible.

Oh, and helmets are 🤬 impossible.

I fully agree they are difficult to design on but it is not impossible to make a good looking helmet if you have the patience for fiddly stuff and working with small decals.

I wouldn't consider these "fails" but they were never liked that well in my designs so far...

sONIC 91.jpg

6125266100250772496_23.jpg

5044032764595142656_23.jpg

I have a lot of fails! :lol: I thought I had a good idea for the Mach Forty. When it was done, I hated it.

4692821262204960784_0.jpg

I was really into making this Diablo look like the IMSA March, but was unable to find claw decals and couldn't make them.

6269041542922535952_0.jpg

I wanted to put something unique on the Pagani Huayra when it was Car of The Week. It came out really unique, in a bad way.

8142509234456625688_0.jpg

Back