Failure conditions

• Thread starter Ozmac
  • 8 comments
Noticed something about Failure Conditions last night.

I mostly ride with Failure Conditions 'on'. However, just as an experiment I changed the setting to 'off'. Same bike, same track. Back on the track, the bike felt much worse to steer and generally ride. Sure, it was more forgiving if you ran wide onto some dirt, etc, but it definitely didn't feel as nice to ride, and I found myself crashing under brakes into corners that I usually breeze through when the setting is 'on'.

I repeated this with a different bike, different track, changing the settings from 'on' to 'off'. Same result. Feels worse to ride with the 'off' setting.

So I think Failure Conditions 'on' means the bike is 'nicer to ride, less forgiving of mistakes though' and 'off' means 'nastier to ride, more forgiving of mistakes'.

Anyone else found this to be the case?

It's more realistic. When Failure Conditions is on, bikes feel like they have two extra wheels.

I did try the Failure Condition "On". I noticed in the 'On' mode you cannot pull wheelie or stoppies. Other than that I don't know and didn't realize the difference. Someone care to elaborate... so that we can get the most out of the sim. Tq

How do I say this politely? All the above replies completely miss the point of my question. I know about the penalties, the wheelies, stoppies etc etc.

What I was talking about is the way the bike actually feels to steer and ride when the failure conditions settings are either on or off.

I know this is a totally radical suggestion, but how about conducting an experiment? Take a bike to a circuit, ride it for 5 or so laps with the failure conditions 'on'. Now stop for a moment, turn the failure conditions to 'off' (don't change anything else, especially not the bike nor the track) then go for a ride.

My thesis is that the bikes feel much worse when you turn off the failure conditions. They especially feel worse under brakes and when doing a combination of braking and steering into a corner.

I think I agree with you Oz.. I did have them 'off' whilst Time Trialing the Ring, and if I strayed off the tarmac I was on my a** pretty much straight away, If I turn them 'on' I seem to be able to ride it out...

I can also pull wheelies and stoppies whether they are on or not...

But, I thik Pringle addicts suggestion is probably the best.

Ozmac
They especially feel worse under brakes and when doing a combination of braking and steering into a corner.

I hate to point this out, but real-life bikes do NOT feel very good when braking and turning at the same time.... exerting all those forces on a tyre (tire) contact patch the size of a postage stamp while the forks try to bend under the bike is not the most relaxing of feelings :nervous:

G.money said
"I hate to point this out, but real-life bikes do NOT feel very good when braking and turning at the same time.... exerting all those forces on a tyre (tire) contact patch the size of a postage stamp while the forks try to bend under the bike is not the most relaxing of feelings"

Yep, I've been riding bikes for 35 years, and spent 12 of those years road-testing many of the bikes in the TT game for bike magazines (from about 1978 to 1990). So I know what they really do feel like.

TT is good, but it's still very, very removed from how real bikes feel (with failure conditions on or off). To me it's just a fun game that simulates bikes in a fun way. But realistic? Not very. However, TT is the best bike simulation so far, for what it's worth.

I was just trying to post that there's a very noticeable difference in how the bikes feel - within the game - when you change the failure conditions setting. :)

Back