Fair to say there are 7 levels of AI in the game currently?

• Thread starter Magog
  • 16 comments
United States
United States
1) Sunday Cup difficulty races and beginner level custom races.
2) Middle tier races and intermediate level custom races.
3) End of the cafe races and professional level custom races.
4) 1 chili races
5) 2 chili races
6) 3 chili races
7) 4 chili races

Maybe slightly off but I'm quite sure the high chili AI is better than anything currently selectable in custom races which is a bit of a shame.

4) 1 chili races
5) 2 chili races
6) 3 chili races
7) 4 chili races

Maybe slightly off but I'm quite sure the high chili AI is better than anything currently selectable in custom races which is a bit of a shame.
Fair.

If that's the case, then why the hell bother with selectable difficulty if it's instead going to be this weird, half measure that doesn't even really fix the main issues with the AI that the series has grappled with for years?
I don't come to expect anything else from PD. They were decades too late with implementing a difficulty selection at all, it's no wonder its behaviour is nonsensical and meaningless

I don’t have a huge issue with the AI, the main thing is just why are so many of them so slow? Most events feature like 1-4 cars that are actually putting up aggressive times while the other 5-16 cars are just out for a Sunday stroll.

They could keep most everything the same except have some randomness assigned to which AI cars will put up a fight: it’s always the top 1-5 cars you’re chasing and literally never anyone else. How about once in a while the car that started 8th or 12th is gonna be the rabbit? Why’s it always gotta be 14 cars in the way followed by a car or two of challenge? — something about that could be cleaned up even with leaving most everything else about it the same.

I don’t have a huge issue with the AI, the main thing is just why are so many of them so slow? Most events feature like 1-4 cars that are actually putting up aggressive times while the other 5-16 cars are just out for a Sunday stroll.

They could keep most everything the same except have some randomness assigned to which AI cars will put up a fight: it’s always the top 1-5 cars you’re chasing and literally never anyone else. How about once in a while the car that started 8th or 12th is gonna be the rabbit? Why’s it always gotta be 14 cars in the way followed by a car or two of challenge? — something about that could be cleaned up even with leaving most everything else about it the same.

So that really bad drivers can feel like they still did okay. 😅

...Um, yeah, I’m going to say something that’s gonna be a hot take on this forum and say that I prefer the chase-the-rabbit AI. At least at the moment until they improve it. ‘Cause the chili races are just too difficult for me to even get a podium in them, so... yeah.

For me, the ideal AI would be something like the Highly Skilled difficulty on Forza. They keep up with you on the straights, but slow down enough in the corners to give you a chance to overtake them.

So until they do that and/or give you a difficulty slider, chasing the rabbit will do. I don’t want AI that’s as tough as the AI on ACC or whatever hardcore sims people are playing.

You’re welcome to react to this with poo if you like, btw. lol. Just know that not everyone has the skills of an elite PC sim racer.

4) 1 chili races
5) 2 chili races
6) 3 chili races
7) 4 chili races

I'm almost positive that your #2 is the same as #4 or 5, and your #3 is the same as #5 or 6.

The biggest curiosity with the chili pepper races is; Does the selectable difficulty affect them? Example; if I have my difficulty default to 2 chili peppers and I go into a 3 chili race, do they stack and it becomes a 5 chili race?

From what I can tell, there isnt a huge difference between 2 3 or 4 chili races. They aren't even intimidating, it's more of "oh great I have to deal with dive bombers after I easily pass them"

...Um, yeah, I’m going to say something that’s gonna be a hot take on this forum and say that I prefer the chase-the-rabbit AI. At least at the moment until they improve it. ‘Cause the chili races are just too difficult for me to even get a podium in them, so... yeah.

For me, the ideal AI would be something like the Highly Skilled difficulty on Forza. They keep up with you on the straights, but slow down enough in the corners to give you a chance to overtake them.

So until they do that and/or give you a difficulty slider, chasing the rabbit will do. I don’t want AI that’s as tough as the AI on ACC or whatever hardcore sims people are playing.

You’re welcome to react to this with poo if you like, btw. lol. Just know that not everyone has the skills of an elite PC sim racer.
I think you have a somewhat fair point here. But in these "hardcore sims" that we use on PC, we get to select an AI difficulty for whatever race we do. I don't see why PD couldn't just adjust the difficulty of every race, adjust credit payout and make more people happy. There's already a difficulty setting in Custom Races although the payouts are abhorrently pathetic.
However, starting a race with the first car already halfway around the track is NOT a race, it's ridiculousness.

WUm, yeah, I’m going to say something that’s gonna be a hot take on this forum and say that I prefer the chase-the-rabbit AI. At least at the moment until they improve it. ‘Cause the chili races are just too difficult for me to even get a podium in them, so... yeah.e

Well yes the chili races are no different to all of the previous races in GTs history in the sense that they're fixed difficulty.

When they first told us they were introducing difficulty levels for GT7 I thought great, finally they realised that one size will never fit all.

But in typical PD fashion, they half ass it. Difficulty still scales up through the racing series at a fixed scale and then they have a bunch of races that can't be adjusted, the chili races.

This isn't how other games roll. In ACC, pCARS, pretty much any serious racing game, I can scale the AI to suit my ability. If you want super slow AI in these games to get up to pace, you can. If you want to start out the very first racing series with the hardest they have to offer, you can as well. If you want to adjust it mid game as you improve, you can. Nothing is fixed at either end of the scale. No fixed easy races, no fixed hard races.

But PD continue to persist with this, even after introducing difficulty options for the first time. Why? Who knows. It's just how they roll and it will never work. You want an intermediate level of difficulty. I want advanced. Someone else wants beginner level. Fixed difficulty events cannot possibly satisfy us all.

Last edited:
@Lux Klonoa Then the other end of the skill scale can't thoroughly enjoy the game as they lack challenge. I've pretty much golded everything and I hope Polyphony pushes out more stuff soon.

Another problem is input devices. With a wheel, you're already at an advantage for the most part so if you merely want a harder challenge, use a gamepad for that instead. That's what I did when I went for license golds the first time.

Though, admittedly, GT games were never one of the hardest to complete, just time consuming.

Last edited:
@Lux Klonoa Then the other end of the skill scale can't thoroughly enjoy the game as they lack challenge. I've pretty much golded everything and I hope Polyphony pushes out more stuff soon.

Though, admittedly, GT games were never one of the hardest to complete, just time consuming.
It's exactly why I said we need a difficulty slider or 8-9 difficulty options like in Forza. It's a win-win for everyone, the elites and aliens included.

And for ALL events, not just a few that are marked with chilis.

But this is just wrong. In ACC and all those "hardcore sims" you get the ability to adjust the speed of the AI to pretty much whatever you want. That's the point. If you're not an "elite PC sim racer" you'll have a better time with the AI in those games because you can make it so that it's a competitive speed for you, even if that speed is objectively relatively slow.

You're saying that chasing the rabbit will do until you get a difficulty slider, and that's better than other games that have difficulty sliders.

1652406158154.png

Back