Famine's Review: 28 Days Later

  • Thread starter Thread starter Famine
  • 19 comments
  • 923 views

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
Messages
92,431
United Kingdom
Rule 12
Messages
GTP_Famine
Oh deary, deary, deary me.

I was about to say that it starts off well, but it doesn't. Some chimps infected with "Rage" (seriously - the lines go "They're infected!", "With what?", "dramatic pause... Rage... dramatic pause") are released by Animal Rights Activists - one of whom gets eaten and turned into a zombie, vomiting blood everywhere.

Then things go better, after a "...28 Days Later" moment. Jim wakes up in a hospital with no-one around and a key shoved under his (locked) door. He staggers around for a while, and we get to see lots of lovely panoramic shots of London empty. This part of the film is okay really - right up to the point they meet the army guys. Then the film drops straight down the drain - two "women" (one is a 12 year old girl) and a bunch of army guys who have been "without woman" for 28 days equals... well, you can guess (it doesn't happen though, in case you're concerned, but they do literally kill each other trying).


By then I'd had enough anyway. Apparently getting zombie blood in your mouth or eyes - or an open wound - means you're infected and turned into a zombie within 20 seconds, but you can splash it all over your skin (your porous skin...) happily. No virus on Earth can cause an effect in 20 seconds, let alone taking over higher brain functions and making your eyes go red. Oh, and giving you the ability to projectile-vomit blood.


It's a decent premise, bungled by a shaky plot and execution and then wrapped up sharpish with a lame ending (although the alternate ending is even worse). There's a nice little subtext which they make absolute NO use of at all until the last minute of the film - that really the whole world isn't infected, just Britain, and we've been quarantined. But for that to be believable, it would mean that no-one - until the power went off - had access to non-British television channels, like CNN (which is currently on my TV, I should add).


The 20 minutes after Jim wakes up are okay. Everything else is poor. And absolutely DO NOT watch this if you need to cheer yourself up. What ever happened to TV/Films being "entertainment"?
 
Very dumb movie. 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.
 
I envied the zombies. I mean, they didn't have to watch the film and they got to vomit blood and kill potential child-molestors. Cool.

Oh, and there was one zombie bird with MASSIVE tits.
 
I just watched the 6 minute preview and going by Famine's review, have seen all the best stuff the movie has to offer. I have to say that I always remembered London as having slightly more traffic than a single London bus, a Mercedes-Benz and a white truck, but anyway... This movie does indeed look like a steaming pile of poo. I especially loved the standard of acting in the lab. scene, but let's give them some credit, the script certainly doesn't seem up to much. Great cameo there too from Tony Hayer's, cheif commissioner of programming for the BBC (Partridge fans will get it) "Smell the cheese you mother!" Maybe that would have been a good slogan for this movie.
 
Wait... Paycheck was decent, but this sucked?

I loved the movie; easily one of my top ten. The atmosphere and mood was excellent, and the music was top notch. Very interesting film altogether. Feel good? Nah, but it was worth my time. Forget if the virus could sounds realistic for a few hours and just watch the movie. I think most of you will enjoy it.
 
Originally posted by Zrow
Wait... Paycheck was decent, but this sucked?

No. Paycheck was "It rolls by okay I guess, but it's just another formulaic piece of pap". This is "The 20 minutes after Jim wakes up are okay. Everything else is poor". I only used "decent" in my Paycheck review in relation to the car chase and blowing stuff up, which were decent by car chase and blowing stuff up standards.

Paycheck trundles past, precisely because it's so formulaic - doesn't make it "decent". This jerks about like a zombie (woo-hoo! How apt!). If I were to forget about the unrealistic virus - which is part of the "decent premise, shaky execution" part - you'd still be left with huge, gaping questions about the plot and the beginning part from hell. Okay, so the acting from the two main leads is good, and Christopher Ecclestone is as good as he usually is, but "bloke from Emmerdale" and "bloke from Eastenders" are shocking, and the little girl...


Everything from the Army onwards is terrible. The ending and alternate ending are even worse. And they do not make enough of it being only Britain that's infected.
 
I didn't think this was such a bad movie, I thought it got crap towards the end when those army guy's turned up but the first half of it in London was good.
 
Something tells me that there arent much movies that you like Famine.:D
Every movie review you wrote is about a bad movie(according to you).
I am not complaining or anything,but it's kind of remarkable.Or are you steering us away from bad movies?;)
 
Well, the movie was total crap. I agree whole heartedly with famine :eek: oh no! i'm making this a habbit lately :crazy: anyways, the movie is just horrible. Could have been a good plot though. "Dawn of the Dead" is like the "Ten Commandments" compared to this thing. I really enjoyed "Dawn" by the way.
 
Originally posted by GTChamp2003
Something tells me that there arent much movies that you like Famine.:D
Every movie review you wrote is about a bad movie(according to you).
I am not complaining or anything,but it's kind of remarkable.Or are you steering us away from bad movies?;)

My girlfriend goes to Choices on a Friday night and brings home some DVDs. Invariably she gets a load of crap - although this one was on Sky Movies.

This week she's got The Return of The King, which I won't bother reviewing because it's obviously ace. I think the last film she got that impressed me was "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" - although Orlando Bloom was CRAP.

I promise to do a good review as soon as she gets a good film. I might even just review "The Hunted" (Christopher Lambert, not the more recent one) for the hell of it, because that film rocks.
 
To tell you the truth, if I were to watch this movie I'd have no comment, I just watch the movie and shut up about it. I don't care if it's good, I care if it's entertaining.
 
Famine
And absolutely DO NOT watch this if you need to cheer yourself up. What ever happened to TV/Films being "entertainment"?

Got it covered.

Surely if something ISN'T good, it's also not entertaining?
 
Welcome to GTP Famine! Enjoy your stay. :)
 
Is that sarcasm slick? If not and you really mean to welcome him, look at his post count and join date, his title his something of a joke as far as I see it. And as far as movies, I'm not gonna judge if they're good or not, if I sit and watch it it's good enough for me.
 
GTChamp2003
Something tells me that there arent much movies that you like Famine.:D
Every movie review you wrote is about a bad movie(according to you).
I am not complaining or anything,but it's kind of remarkable.Or are you steering us away from bad movies?;)

What I can't seam to understand is why Famine always reviews such mindless drivel.... Every movie he reviews is typical Hollywood, overproduced crap.... It seams to me, that Famine is setting himself up for dissapointment, by going to see movies, that are obviously, poorly concieved.....

However, If you like Hollywood shoot em' up, action drama, plot hole filled, poorly written/concieved films, then by all means, continue to go see films such as: Paycheck, and SWAT... lol.... C'mon you have a brain, can you not tell that these movies are going to be bad, before you go see them?....

Maybe you should spend more time watching more inovative and/or creative films, such as:

Memento
Adaptation
Eternal Sunshine
Pi
Jacobs Ladder
Mullholland Dr.
etc...

Granted, you need to use your brain.... Everything isn't so obvious and/or contrived....

Now, about "28 Days Later"....

I agree that it did have some serious plot holes, and some cheesier aspects.... The only redeeming feature of the movie, is the cinematography.... As I'm sure you know, they used all digital film, which gives it a raw look.... Almost every shot was a piece of art.... However, I don't think it quite saved the film....


;)
 
I already covered this.

Famine
My girlfriend goes to Choices on a Friday night and brings home some DVDs. Invariably she gets a load of crap - although this one was on Sky Movies.

This week she's got The Return of The King, which I won't bother reviewing because it's obviously ace. I think the last film she got that impressed me was "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" - although Orlando Bloom was CRAP.

I promise to do a good review as soon as she gets a good film. I might even just review "The Hunted" (Christopher Lambert, not the more recent one) for the hell of it, because that film rocks.

I set myself up for nothing and I don't go out to watch films very often - she gets the films, so it's all her fault. The last three times I've been to the cinema were, in the order of most recent first, to see "The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King", "The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers" and... err... *thinks hard* "The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring".


Memento - one of the best films ever. Mulholland Drive I can do in a single word review. "Huh?"
 
Famine
I already covered this.



I set myself up for nothing and I don't go out to watch films very often - she gets the films, so it's all her fault. The last three times I've been to the cinema were, in the order of most recent first, to see "The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King", "The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers" and... err... *thinks hard* "The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring".


Memento - one of the best films ever. Mulholland Drive I can do in a single word review. "Huh?"

Ok, that sounds very reasonable.... The reason I asked, is because you seem like an intelligent person, so I couldn't figure out why you wouldn't go see more intellectual films, so you could utilize that brain of yours....

It sounds to me that you need to talk some sense into your girlfriend.... She doesn't apear to have very good taste in films....

I can understand your response to "Mullholland Dr". It is quite the confusing film, to most....

Have you seen any of the other movies I listed, besides Memento, and Mullholland Dr?....


;)
 
silviadrifter
It sounds to me that you need to talk some sense into your girlfriend.... She doesn't apear to have very good taste in films....

She's part-girl, part-magpie. If it's got a shiny box, she likes it (hence the glitter pants)

If it's got "Romantic Comedy", "Feel-Good" or "Bittersweet" in the description, I go do something else instead.


silviadrifter
Have you seen any of the other movies I listed, besides Memento, and Mullholland Dr?....;)

No - and I'm not a great David Lynch fan, I'm afraid.
 
Famine
She's part-girl, part-magpie. If it's got a shiny box, she likes it (hence the glitter pants)

If it's got "Romantic Comedy", "Feel-Good" or "Bittersweet" in the description, I go do something else instead.




No - and I'm not a great David Lynch fan, I'm afraid.

lol... I think anything would be better than watching any of those genres/concepts.....

David Lynch is a great director, but I can see why your scared.. He likes dark subject matter, which turns off a lot of people....

I do, however, suggest you check out:

Jacobs Ladder - Directed by: Adrian Lyne (on of my favorite movies of all time, and probably Tim Robbins finest performance.)
Adaptation - Directed by: Spike Jonze (if you loved Memento, you will love the weird twists in this movie. Truely an inovative film.)
Eternal Sunshine - Written by: Charlie Kaufman (this is the next film from Charlie Kaufman (Adaptation, Being John Malkovich), and is equally, if not more, inovative than Adaptation, as well as being Jim Carries best serious performance).
Pi - written and directed by: Darren Aronofsky (This film is a beautiful journey through one mans struggle with himself, the world, and mathmatics. It chronicles his search for mathmatical patterns in the world, and within Pi).

There are many, many more, but I'm tired of typing..... and I have to go to the loo....


;)
 
Back