Famine's Review: The School of Rock

  • Thread starter Thread starter Famine
  • 9 comments
  • 650 views

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
Messages
92,430
United Kingdom
Rule 12
Messages
GTP_Famine
I promised myself I wouldn't do this. But I have to. I'm sorry.


"School of Rock"? "School of C**k", more like.

That'd sum up the film nicely, but it's not a terribly good review, now is it? :D

Expectation is a cruel mistress. I'd been told the film was really rather funny, and having seen Jack Black pop up in the odd film before, and his interviews on the telly, I was quite looking forward to it.

I kept thinking, as Jack Black mugged his way through another "tense" comedy moment where he was almost found out that the laughs would be just around the corner if I gave it a chance. I kept hoping that, as he emphasised the letter "O" on the ends of words, there'd be a genuine laugh out loud moment. I kept wishing that the kids, with their generic make up of bad lad, miss goodie two-shoes, fat girl and foreign kid, would do something outstandingly funny.

But it never came.

Black was awful, the kids were just irritating and Joan Cusack was appalling.

We stopped the DVD after 1 hour and 8 minutes - apparently with 40 minutes left to go. Good job, as I was getting perilously close to opening a vein. But how can I in all conscience give a full review to just over half a film? Well, if you've not even raised a smile in over an HOUR of a film which is supposed to be a comedy, it's not working for you, is it?

As bad as "The Avengers" and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". And Jack Black should find his own acting niche - Jim Carrey has done it all, funnier and more irritating, before.

And I like rock...
 
How many points did this movie lower your IQ ?
 
This movie was pretty good, and I don't listen to rock.
 
Gah. I absolutely hated that moive. and they totaly made Ac/Dc's: Its A Long Way To The Top sound like crap. it made my ears bleed.
 
Famine's review sounds a lot like my feelings about Duplex with Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore. Tosh!
 
I liked it, but I was told that it was funnier than it actually was. I'm certainly glad I didn't shell out $15 for popcorn and a ticket at the theater.
 
I rented this one a little while back and enjoyed it. I like black though - he cracks me up.
 
I thought it was pretty good. The story line was very Sister Act 2. I'd say calling it crap is a bit far. Amittadly (awful sp) it's not anywhere near as good as a lot of films, but it's different, it's about rock (or RAWWWWK). Black wasn't bad, he was nutty imo. His role in High Fidelity wasn't a patch on this, but it wasn't bad. The film wasn't great, but i'd watch it again.

And did you notice that the kids COULD actually play their instruments? Amazing. So many films i've watched where people fake being able to play and it just irritates me. I'm a musician and am able to play many instruments, so it's immediately obvious. I was pretty happy about that. 6/10
 
Back