Fanatec BMW GT2 wheel force feedback quality

• Thread starter Mr Sausage
  • 1 comments
Australia
Australia
I am very happy with my Clubsport 2.5 wheel base and have no intentions (for a very long time) to replace it with anything else. When I bought it a couple of years ago I purposely bought the X-Box steering wheel for it - due in equal parts to its cost effectiveness versus Fanatec's "high end" steering wheels but also because it was very light in weight (which I thought would probably aid in terms of force feedback).

Truth be told though, I had always liked the BMW GT2 rim and since (call me strange) I just love driving simulated BMWs and not much else, it would have been a great fit.

But I worry about the weight of this steering wheel - I think from memory it is nearly twice the weight of the X-Box rim. But there is zero doubt it would also provide a much higher quality feel and the wheelbase - barely working hard as it is - easily has the torque to overcome the extra weight and larger diameter of the wheel (which in turn makes driving easier as well since I often find the X-Box wheel just a bit too small).

Has anyone upgraded to these heavier steering wheels and if so did not notice any loss of feedback fidelity after (presumably) turning up your force feedback settings a bit to compensate?

In an ideal world we actually would not rely that much on steering wheel force feedback and instead would have "perfect" (or as perfect as possible) motion rigs. But since we have to ask our steering wheels to provide such a high level of feedback quality to make up for the lack of the correct G-Forces, getting the most out of the force feedback is paramount, especially when the Clubsport wheelbase tends to favour extreme fluidness and smoothness over the last say in fidelity.

I guess another way of asking the question is whether simply increasing the level of force back overall to the wheelbase is sufficient to overcome the heavier and larger wheel and retain the current level of fidelity with the lighter small wheel. Physics would seem to dictate this is impossible to achieve 100%, however I would be prepared for a certain degree of "loss" for the more refined and controllable feel.

Not to worry. I found a few reviews and other comments about the steering wheels and in my situation probably better to stick with what I have since they all mention the loss of feedback detail and that is something I do not wish to compromise upon.

Back