Fanatec Clubsport Series PS4??

• Thread starter Owen Caryl
  • 6 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

I'm looking into getting a new wheel for my PS4 But can't decide whether to get the Clubsport Formula carbon, or the Clubsport Formula V2.
I have the CSL Elite Wheel Base + already and would like to know which is the better option, or if these wheels even work with this wheel base and Console!.
The games i want the wheel to work great for are: Assetto Corsa, Gran Turismo Sport, and F1 2019
All the help would be much appreciated!! Thanks! Here are some images of the two wheels and Wheel Base!
2020-04-23 (2).png
2020-04-23 (5).png
2020-04-23 (7).png

Hello everyone!

I'm looking into getting a new wheel for my PS4 But can't decide whether to get the Clubsport Formula carbon, or the Clubsport Formula V2.
I have the CSL Elite Wheel Base + already and would like to know which is the better option, or if these wheels even work with this wheel base and Console!.
The games i want the wheel to work great for are: Assetto Corsa, Gran Turismo Sport, and F1 2019
All the help would be much appreciated!! Thanks!
As super_gt says, both wheels work on the PS4. In fact, all our wheels work on PS4, if you use a PS4-licensed base like the Wheel Base +. The exception at the moment is the 911 GT3 R wheels, which are not currently compatible with the CSL or ClubSport bases (due to the complex electronics of the Button Module Endurance), but this is due to be addressed with a firmware update.

The Formula V2 is essentially the second generation of the Formula Carbon. The Formula Carbon has a relatively simple range of inputs meaning that it does not require its own firmware, and it basically works with everything. The V2 has all the inputs of the Carbon (and these should also work with everything), plus a bunch of extra inputs and features, like multi-position switches and RGB FlagLEDs and RGB RevLEDs. These advanced features require specific developer support, and this is generally less likely to happen on console games (as it is more challenging and expensive to roll out updates on a console). As a result, while the V2 is seeing wide support on PC, there are very few PS4 games that currently support these features. One game that does support some of the features is F1 2019, where the multi-position switches and FlagLEDs are used.

The short version is that the steering inputs, conventional buttons (equivalent to gamepad buttons), and shifter paddles will always work on PS4 games on all of our wheels. Rev lights and display almost always work too, this is well supported on PS4. You will have a great experience with either one of these wheels in the three games you mention.

Ah okay! So basically (from what my slow brain understands XD) The V2 wheel works with all the force feedback and most of the buttons on the wheel, but only a few of the buttons and the FlagLED's (Which I'm assuming tells you which Flag is on the track??) dont't work very well on the F1 2019 Game for PS4?

If so that's fine as i dont think I'd use all of the buttons anyways! And just to clear up from what i understand before i spend a fortune XD is that All the buttons and FlagLED's work with the Gran Turismo Sport Game for PS4??

If the The buttons and LED's Don't work for Gran Turismo and need extra support on a PC, would it be worth saving the hassle and just getting the Formula Carbon instead?? Or would you suggest the V2 over the Carbon in terms of setup and other Features (In terms of Buttons and LED's That you can actually use??)

Sorry for all the questions, i just want to be sure the Formula Wheel I want to buy is 100% Right for the console and games i want it to run on before spending a load of money on it! XD
Thanks for all your help so far! If i think of any other questions regarding the two products, ill be sure to let you know, as your the only person who's given me a great answer!

As super_gt says, both wheels work on the PS4. In fact, all our wheels work on PS4, if you use a PS4-licensed base like the Wheel Base +. The exception at the moment is the 911 GT3 R wheels, which are not currently compatible with the CSL or ClubSport bases (due to the complex electronics of the Button Module Endurance), but this is due to be addressed with a firmware update.

The Formula V2 is essentially the second generation of the Formula Carbon. The Formula Carbon has a relatively simple range of inputs meaning that it does not require its own firmware, and it basically works with everything. The V2 has all the inputs of the Carbon (and these should also work with everything), plus a bunch of extra inputs and features, like multi-position switches and RGB FlagLEDs and RGB RevLEDs. These advanced features require specific developer support, and this is generally less likely to happen on console games (as it is more challenging and expensive to roll out updates on a console). As a result, while the V2 is seeing wide support on PC, there are very few PS4 games that currently support these features. One game that does support some of the features is F1 2019, where the multi-position switches and FlagLEDs are used.

The short version is that the steering inputs, conventional buttons (equivalent to gamepad buttons), and shifter paddles will always work on PS4 games on all of our wheels. Rev lights and display almost always work too, this is well supported on PS4. You will have a great experience with either one of these wheels in the three games you mention.

Ah okay! So basically (from what my slow brain understands XD) The V2 wheel works with all the force feedback and most of the buttons on the wheel, but only a few of the buttons and the FlagLED's (Which I'm assuming tells you which Flag is on the track??) dont't work very well on the F1 2019 Game for PS4?

If so that's fine as i dont think I'd use all of the buttons anyways! And just to clear up from what i understand before i spend a fortune XD is that All the buttons and FlagLED's work with the Gran Turismo Sport Game for PS4??

If the The buttons and LED's Don't work for Gran Turismo and need extra support on a PC, would it be worth saving the hassle and just getting the Formula Carbon instead?? Or would you suggest the V2 over the Carbon in terms of setup and other Features (In terms of Buttons and LED's That you can actually use??)

Sorry for all the questions, i just want to be sure the Formula Wheel I want to buy is 100% Right for the console and games i want it to run on before spending a load of money on it! XD
Thanks for all your help so far! If i think of any other questions regarding the two products, ill be sure to let you know, as your the only person who's given me a great answer!

The FlagLEDs can be customised by developers for any purpose. I believe F1 2019 is the only PS4 game that uses them (used for showing different colour flag warnings, pit limiter), at least until F1 2020 launches.

GT Sport supports all the standard inputs, display and RevLEDs, but it does not currently support the FlagLEDs, or the extra inputs of the V2 like the toggle switches, encoders, multi-position switches. In other words, the Carbon and the V2 behave exactly the same on GT Sport.

If you choose the V2, you will always have the functionality of the Carbon, with the potential for more functionality if a specific game supports them. If you play F1 a lot, then there is a significant advantage to selecting the V2.

It is also simply a more advanced wheel, being the new generation. The display is better, the LEDs are clearer, the front plate is full carbon fibre rather than metal with a carbon fibre layer, you can upgrade to the Advanced Paddle Module for magnetic shifters and analogue clutch paddles, and it has an upgradeable quick release system. Plus, the V2 is an Xbox One licensed wheel, so by using it with the Wheel Base +, you'll have a system that works on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. There are many reasons why it is a higher price.

The FlagLEDs can be customised by developers for any purpose. I believe F1 2019 is the only PS4 game that uses them (used for showing different colour flag warnings, pit limiter), at least until F1 2020 launches.

GT Sport supports all the standard inputs, display and RevLEDs, but it does not currently support the FlagLEDs, or the extra inputs of the V2 like the toggle switches, encoders, multi-position switches. In other words, the Carbon and the V2 behave exactly the same on GT Sport.

If you choose the V2, you will always have the functionality of the Carbon, with the potential for more functionality if a specific game supports them. If you play F1 a lot, then there is a significant advantage to selecting the V2.

It is also simply a more advanced wheel, being the new generation. The display is better, the LEDs are clearer, the front plate is full carbon fibre rather than metal with a carbon fibre layer, you can upgrade to the Advanced Paddle Module for magnetic shifters and analogue clutch paddles, and it has an upgradeable quick release system. Plus, the V2 is an Xbox One licensed wheel, so by using it with the Wheel Base +, you'll have a system that works on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. There are many reasons why it is a higher price.

Okay, Thanks a alot for your help!! I'll be picking up the V2 Rim soon then!! Thanks for all your help today. Much appreciated!

Back