Fanatec CSR-E and GT5 tips - Help I've lost 6 seconds!

  • Thread starter Thread starter S73
  • 8 comments
  • 1,424 views

S73

Messages
9
England
UK
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me, I've have had a good search and can't find any answers to a few questions and would appreciate any tips or pointers.

I've only recently sorted a CSR-E wheel and CS pedals. I had intentions of using it for forza 4 but am finding GT5 too good to put down and have not been this excited about a game for years. I've been using it with no real problems but am now at a stage where I want do some tweaks to get it perfect. My first 9 laps of Nurburgring I managed to get the time down to 2:04 but now can't get near it the best being 2:10 and I can't for the life of me work out why.

I reset the car back to defaults which is what the car was at 2:04 but think I may have changed some other settings in the game.

1/ What settings have you got or suggest I use in a) GT5 and b) on the wheel?

I notice that the fanatec wheels are not listed in game so have it down as a G25 does this sound right? I think I read that I need to take off simulation and select normal for one of the wheel settings.

2/ On the more than few occasions that I have a moment and end up having to reverse the car I find pressing the Y button difficult as normally I reverse while the wheel is turned. My question is can I reassign this to the clutch pedal to reverse which doesn't get used? It doesn't appear I can or can I adjust the sequential paddles to drop down from 1st to reverse?

3/ I'm racing online with some buddies on AVForums and appreciate the cockpit view on single player but this limits the side view increasing the chances of me inadvertently taking out others which is not part of the clean racing principle. I have a second console and spare copy of GT5 and a spare monitor. Could I set up this second console as a large rear view so I at least have an idea of who is behind and by how far?

4/ During my search I found others who had lost their save data. Do you or should you back this up regularly?

5/ I'm also after a sequential shifter to fit onto a playseat mount. What do people think of the concept over paddles and is it worth it? Are their any ones that stand out as being better value than the fanatec ones?

Sorry for all the Qs and normally hate when people post Qs easily found by a bit of searching, 4 & 5 are a bit of an after thought but I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on any of the above

Thanks

Simon
 
S73
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me, I've have had a good search and can't find any answers to a few questions and would appreciate any tips or pointers.

3/ I'm racing online with some buddies on AVForums and appreciate the cockpit view on single player but this limits the side view increasing the chances of me inadvertently taking out others which is not part of the clean racing principle. I have a second console and spare copy of GT5 and a spare monitor. Could I set up this second console as a large rear view so I at least have an idea of who is behind and by how far?

4/ During my search I found others who had lost their save data. Do you or should you back this up regularly?

5/ I'm also after a sequential shifter to fit onto a playseat mount. What do people think of the concept over paddles and is it worth it? Are their any ones that stand out as being better value than the fanatec ones?

Sorry for all the Qs and normally hate when people post Qs easily found by a bit of searching, 4 & 5 are a bit of an after thought but I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on any of the above

Thanks

Simon

Welcome to GTPlanet 👍

Can't answer your questions on the Fanatec (G27 user here), but I can help with some of the others...

3/ I'm racing online with some buddies on AVForums and appreciate the cockpit view on single player but this limits the side view increasing the chances of me inadvertently taking out others which is not part of the clean racing principle. I have a second console and spare copy of GT5 and a spare monitor. Could I set up this second console as a large rear view so I at least have an idea of who is behind and by how far?

Pretty sure you can have a 3 screen set up, but you'll need 3 PS3's and 3 games disks... someone might know 100%.

4/ During my search I found others who had lost their save data. Do you or should yo back this up regularly?

Yes... I update mine to a USB regularly. Takes afew seconds, but protects your game progress and garage if the worst happens.

5/ I'm also after a sequential shifter to fit onto a playseat mount. What do people think of the concept over paddles and is it worth it? Are their any ones that stand out as being better value than the fanatec ones?

Don't know if any are available, but since I switched from a G25 to a G27 2 years ago, I haven't missed the loss of a sequential shifter once.
 
Thanks Stotty, for your help,

I'm updating my 2nd ps3 from scratch and its taking ages to update but hope I can set it up as a rear view rather than side view, I'll report back later.

I'm gonna backup as I can't bear to think of starting again,

The shifter was my solution to changing when the wheel is turned at tighter angles as it again is a little awkward but think I'm getting used to it now
 
You can't use mutiple screens online.
 
S73
1/ What settings have you got or suggest I use in a) GT5 and b) on the wheel?

Thanks

Simon

Simon - I suggest you start off by checking your CSR-E firmware and updating it as necessary (you’ll need a PC / USB cord). These Fanatec wheels are not as “plug and play” friendly as Logitech’s. If it is anything like the CSR, you need to power the wheel ON – then while in standby mode, hold the bottom two red buttons + A & B – a number should be displayed on the LED screen. Reference that number with searches online for CSR-E firmware updates. The process for the CSR was straightforward and easy to complete, you download a zip file and start an .exe (then follow steps in the program) – I just can’t give you exact links to use, since I don’t own an Elite.

Concerning the wheel settings – I can give you what I use, but everyone has their own preference and I am not even sure if the Elite has the same choices that are available on the CSR.

SEN (wheel rotation): OFF –If you play Forza, it defaults to 270 degree turning angle when OFF, you’d have to set it to 900 to have 900 degree steering. GT5 has 900 as it’s default when OFF.

FF (force feedback): You really just have to find what you like on this – I have GT5 (in game option) set to 80, then you can adjust your CSR on the fly – I set mine between 80 and 100.

SHO (shock): 40 – 60 This setting combined with ABS adds engine rumble to the wheel. I feel like 40 to 60 is a good feel, but again, set to your preference.

DRI (I think that’s the name? It’s the “drift” setting) – the higher the number, the easier it will be to counter steer (less resistance when throwing the wheel around) I use 1 or 2.

ABS: None – With this OFF and SHO set to a good setting, your wheel should shake while accelerating – getting stronger as you move toward the redline – cool Fanatec feature.

SPr (spring)– This setting is debatable: I have mine on “1”
DPr (damper) – Again, you probably won’t notice a difference, but I have mine at “-3”

All other settings should be set at 0 – this will be the deadzone and other settings that won’t need a value.

To answer your question about other GT5 (in game) settings – You probably won’t be able to map any buttons, it’s not a supported wheel, I use the stick to shift into reverse, or deal with hitting Y (just don’t end up against a wall!) – The “Simulation” setting –doesn’t apply. “Assisted Steering” does the same thing as the DRI settings on the Fanatec – it adds “power steering” to when you want to make quick adjustments. I like this set to “ON” – in a real car you can yank the wheel any direction with ease – it just might not turn out well. Set to OFF if you like a “non power steering” feel.

I hope that helps. Maybe it will at least give you a starting point. I’ve done a lot of searching and research to find a good feel to the Fanatec on GT5…you just have to do a lot of in game tweeking and give it some time. You’ll land on something that feels “right” for you 👍
 
Thanks for all your help, it's a shame you can't multiscreen online, what view do you guys use for online racing?

I should have mentioned that I did flash the wheel recently as I was having small problems with it on power up not centering. It works fine now though.

Thanks GTI for sharing your settings, it will give me a benchmark to work with. There are a hell of a lot of settings to go through eh? Do you use the sequential shifter or H pattern? I don't like the idea of the H pattern as it sounds prone to getting the wrong gear and wondered if I got hold of a seq shifter would I be able to select reverse with it? Or still be stuck on using a button?

It seems crazy that a top wheel is not fully supported in a top game.

I just read through the 2.09 update and realised my 6 secs loss could be due to me setting the car to online mode. I'm gonna try again with the update and then a second time with the wheel settings to see what times I get.

Another angle I want to go down is tuning the suspension of the car. I was practising with the Lexus IS350 weds sport with a 550PP limit which is what the AVF entry requirements were. This may improve my time but when I heard that online physics are different to offline I figured and was told it's not going to make much difference.

My first online race with these guys was great but I was no where near competitive, most of it will be me learning where the limits are for the track/car but part of me thinks if I can get back to my original time of 2:04 then I stand a fighting chance.

Thanks again

Simon
 
I've solved the mystery of where my 6 secs have gone. I watched the replay of my 2:04 time and its by no means a perfect lap but noticed the tyres are racing soft and entry for AVF we're racing hard hence my unexplained decrease on time. After a few laps I've got my hard tyres time down to high 2:08 but there's another 1sec to come with better lines, no mistakes.

I'm gonna move on to taking car to offline mode then do steering settings and see how I get on.

Thanks again for all your great advice, still gutted you can't do rear view on desperate screen or at least see your wing mirrors in cockpit view
 
Last edited:
I just noticed its not set to online anyway, will move onto wheel settings and report back
 
Thanks for sharing your settings GTI, I think it has knocked just over a second off having the wheel feel right. With further aero and ballast tweaking and track knowledge I've got it down to mid-high 2:05's.

Still playing around with in game steering modes.

I tried to set all 4 buttons to reverse but it's not having it. I think I need a shifter, does your seq shifter allow you to drop from 1st to reverse?

Thanks again
Simon
 
Back