Fanatec McLaren GT3 v2 paddles broke

• Thread starter FieldMat
  • 9 comments
United States
United States
After 5 weeks of using the McLaren GT3 v2 wheel, the paddles broke. The upshift no longer works; it does not seem to be pressing the sensor/ button. The loud click is gone, hitting the next gear is hit and miss (mostly miss), and it doesn't return to its starting position so that you then can't shift up at all.

It looks like I'm not the only one:
McLaren GT3 V2 Paddle Issue and Fix
McLaren GT3 V2 wheel down shift input stuck
Mclaren Gt3 wheel shifter paddles seem to be sticking
Easy fix for Fanatec McLaren GT3 rim shifter paddles not working properly
SHIFTER PADDLE FIX | Fanatec McLaren GT3 V2 Wheel | Repair | Tutorial (with 4,500 views...)
Brand new McLaren GT3 V2 right shifter/paddle not working (stuck on pressed)

I'm really disappointed that Fanatec continues to sell a product that so many people have issues with so soon after starting to use it. Yes, it is an entry level wheel at a very low cost (unless you add in the extra 100 for the proper QR1), but customers still expect them to work for years, not weeks.

I will be getting after market magnetic shifters (while I save up for this beauty 🧐), because I don't see the point of shipping it back to Fanatec just to get the same inferior product back again, which may or may not last more than a few weeks.

But I thought I'd post this here:
  • For people who are doing research into this very popular wheel. Buyer beware, a perceived premium brand name does not necessarily mean all products are premium.
  • For @DomB_Fanatec to see and maybe report to the firm (yes, I know I can raise a ticket, but see above re expectations).

Hey, mine did this and I fixed it very easily. Not sure if you have the same issue but try this:

1: remove the silver pin on the top of the rim, this comes out completely fairly easily with a pair of pliers, or something else to prise it at first.

2. Once the pin’s out you’ll be able to just remove the metal paddle plate

3. Wipe the contacts where the paddles touch them, I found a little bit of sticky residue under them which I assume came from the glue on the black pads. I covered these with a small amount of electric tape which had the added benefit of muffling the paddle noise a bit

4. put the paddle plate back on and replace the pin

Done! It took me about 5 minutes and works perfectly now, no need for an rma and it doesn’t mess with the guarantee.

It seems that the residue from the black contact pads is stopping the shifting from happening, poor QA really from fanatec but in my case it was easily resolved.

I’ve seen a lot posts like yours and I’m willing to bet a lot of them can be resolved with the steps above. Good luck!

Last edited:
It looks like that was it. I followed your notes and it now moves and clicks again; will try it later today on the sim.
Thanks! :cheers:

Hi FieldMat, the team is aware of these reports. I'm glad to hear you got it sorted but recommend contacting support if it happens again.
Yeah I’ve got this problem and I’m sorry for being rude but this is getting ridiculous. This support was useless. If you Could help me or anything that would help alot. I got told to ship the wheel to fanatec. Where are the post labels that are supposed to be automatically sent for us to send the wheel back??!? I message them back but we‘ve been left for 2 weeks now with no response. My wheel has been broken and sit in a box. This was my birthday present and I get no help to fix a £200 wheel. If you could help me that’d be amazing.

That is exactly why I didn't bother contacting Fanatec 'support'.

If you're problem is exactly the same as mine @pro_driver280 then follow the instructions in post 2 above. It is a 5 minute job. Good luck.

That is exactly why I didn't bother contacting Fanatec 'support'.

If you're problem is exactly the same as mine @pro_driver280 then follow the instructions in post 2 above. It is a 5 minute job. Good luck.
Just gonna check something cause I’m stupid. When I clean the contact is it the rubber on the paddle or the button For the paddle

I didn't clean the contacts, just made sure the rubbers were in their recesses, then taped them down with electric tape. When reassembled the contact is then between the orange paddle and the tape, so no sticking.

Edit: I think there are two problems.
  • The rubbers they use are too sticky, so they may stick to the paddles sensors on shifting.
  • They don't properly attach those rubbers. One of mine fell out when I took apart the wheel. May be related to first point. The rubbers stick slightly to the paddles sensors on every shift then over time get pulled from their recesses.

Both should be very simple things for a manufacturer that cares, to fix.

Last edited:
I didn't clean the contacts, just made sure the rubbers were in their recesses, then taped them down with electric tape. When reassembled the contact is then between the orange paddle and the tape, so no sticking.

Edit: I think there are two problems.
  • The rubbers they use are too sticky, so they may stick to the paddles on shifting.
  • They don't properly attach those rubbers. One of mine fell out when I took apart the wheel. May be related to first point. The rubbers stick slightly to the paddles on every shift then over time get pulled from their recesses.

Both should be very simple things for a manufacturer that cares, to fix.
EDIT: MY STEERING WHEEL IS FIXED!!:

I think it’s that they are too sticky cause they were quite sticky. It’s worked well since ive done the mod here’s an image for anyone who sees this thread in the future.

Attachments

• 8954854B-9195-4167-BD19-AF04A4D82F8A.jpeg
    8954854B-9195-4167-BD19-AF04A4D82F8A.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Back