Fanatec owners

• Thread starter jgillis
  • 2 comments
I've got a question for you. In GT5p what degrees of rotation gives you the best lap time?

I use a G25 and feel as though the 900 degree lock is putting me at a disadvantage to someone using less. When tuning I always tune for the most oversteer I can handle and like a twitchy, easy to turn car.

Using less than 900 degrees would allow a user to effectively gain oversteer without using up PP right??? You don't gain grip but turning the car would become easier. And for someone who keeps his hands fixed to the wheel at all times when turning(no hand over hand), the maximum turning angle would be more for someone using a wheel with less than 900 degrees. I see this as a big advantage (maybe a tenth or two).

So are my assumptions correct? Can you gain a tenth or two by using less degrees of rotation? I know the steering will become more twitchy and make the car slightly harder to control but for outright pace, is this an advantage?

Oh, and what physics do you drive with? Each physics system may yeild a completely different outcome.
Standard is more enjoyable for me, I think this is the physics mode that would see the biggest advantage.

Using less than 900 degrees would allow a user to effectively gain oversteer without using up PP right??? You don't gain grip but turning the car would become easier. And for someone who keeps his hands fixed to the wheel at all times when turning(no hand over hand), the maximum turning angle would be more for someone using a wheel with less than 900 degrees. I see this as a big advantage (maybe a tenth or two).

This will not give you increased oversteer. It will do two things, it will make the steering quicker because the ratio of steering wheel (and thus hand) movement to the front wheels will be altered. It will also make the steering more twitchy, so that you will need a steady-hand to drive smoothly. If you've ever done and kart-racing you'll see this at the extreme (all the karts I've raced will go lock-to-lock on the front wheels with only about 180 degrees of total travel).

The primary advantage would be on very tight tracks, and it might let you "catch" an oversteering car more quickly. Since we can already tune the cars in software, and various wheels have all kinds of adjustments, I certainly wouldn't consider it unfair. People also modify their real-life cars in various ways to achieve this. I have a "quick steer" device in my Beetle which is a simple device that extends the pitman arm about 4 inches. This reduces my steering ratio by about about 180 degrees total (90 in each direction from center). This make it slightly more responsive for autocross, but still leaves the car steady for daily-driving.

I just moved to the Fanatec wheel myself, and my intention at this point is to find out what the approximate steering ratio in each car is in real-life, and then use the 5 presets in the wheel to set the wheel to as closely as possible reflect that.

Last edited:
Back