Fanatec PS4 Elite - P1 Rim - Problem with Upshift paddle!

• Thread starter Mirror_man
  • 22 comments
Portugal
Seixal
zefthebestofcour
I have my Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 with a P1 Rim (Basic Bundle) for around 2 years (more or less) and from some time ago (more than a month) the right shifter paddle (Upshifter) became slighlty lighter and the click noise and feel when activated, became different from what it was in the begining (and from the left/downshift paddle), the worst is that aditionaly, it started having serious problems to upshif!!!!

Sometimes it simply fails repeatidly, or does´ nt upshift at all, and other times, it double upshifts!

And after sometime using it, with all this problems, it will start responding a bit better, but even so demanding aditional pressure for upshifting.. mostly!

Its quite infuriating, to say the least...

Does anyone have similar problems or know how I can fix this??

It is best to contact the Fanatec support.
I have seen several people with similar problems but no one has tried to fix them on their own, an example.
The only way to find out if you can fix it yourself is to disassemble the steering wheel and see what the problem is, but if the problem is a defective snapdome on the rim PCBA you will not be able to fix it.

Assuming it's out of warranty, if you're handy, just take it apart and keep a close eye on how the shifter that works is assembled and then compare that to the balky one. Chances are that a piece has come loose and you can fix it.

Assuming it's out of warranty, if you're handy, just take it apart and keep a close eye on how the shifter that works is assembled and then compare that to the balky one. Chances are that a piece has come loose and you can fix it.
Low chances I guess (according to @super_gt) :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:🤬🤬🤬:crazy::crazy::crazy::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Low chances I guess (according to @super_gt) :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:🤬🤬🤬:crazy::crazy::crazy::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:
Maybe there is a way to fix:
This is the snapdome of CSL Elite wheel P1(the shifter is the same as in your wheel for PS4)

NFRdoE6.png

and look identical to that of Fanatec McLaren GT3 which in these three publications claims to be repairable:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-mclaren-gt3-rim-problems.151970/post-2966650
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-mclaren-gt3-rim-problems.151970/post-2920162
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-mclaren-gt3-rim-problems.151970/post-2837962

Keep in mind that you may have another different problem and this is just a guess. To be sure exactly what the problem is, you need to open the steering wheel, but even if the steering wheel is out of warranty, contact Fanatec first.

This is the snapdome of CSL Elite wheel P1(the shifter is the same as in your wheel for PS4)

NFRdoE6.png

and look identical to that of Fanatec McLaren GT3 which in these three publications claims to be repairable:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-mclaren-gt3-rim-problems.151970/post-2966650
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-mclaren-gt3-rim-problems.151970/post-2920162
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-mclaren-gt3-rim-problems.151970/post-2837962

Keep in mind that you may have another different problem and this is just a guess. To be sure exactly what the problem is, you need to open the steering wheel, but even if the steering wheel is out of warranty, contact Fanatec first.

That´s.. Super! :) At least now I have some hope left!

Thanks indeed!

NFRdoE6.png

I though ther was hope.. but then...

Left (Downshift)

And Right (Upshif) Pressure "Domes" from my Wheel...

Right one shows a dramatic cut more or less on the middle/left side of it.... :( :( :( :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::guilty::guilty::guilty::guilty::guilty:

Still, contact Fanatec and see what they have to offer. @DomB_Fanatec
In the worst case, you'll have to buy CSL Elite steering wheel fo Xbox.:)

Actually it s not XBOX... its for a PS4 (Detailed at the title of the thread...)

would nt it be a better alternative to buy the Static paddle shifter from Fanatec (99,95€ plus mail ports) ???

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/shifters-...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

Question about this: That static shifter once mounted with this wheel, would´n t interfeer with the normal wheel movement, if I don´t remove the actual shift pads included on the original rim?

What connects the the shift paddle to the snap dome? It looks like whatever that is is off center and the edge of it is pressing on the snap dome.

Edit: If you're getting the fixed shifters, just take the paddles off the wheel since you already have it apart.

Last edited:
Actually it s not XBOX... its for a PS4 (Detailed at the title of the thread...)
The compatibility with PS4 is built in the wheel base so you can play with this steering wheel on PS4.
would nt it be a better alternative to buy the Static paddle shifter from Fanatec (99,95€ plus mail ports) ???

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/shifters-...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet
If you can adapt to static paddle shifters and you're looking for a lower price than a new steering wheel.
Question about this: That static shifter once mounted with this wheel, would´n t interfeer with the normal wheel movement, if I don´t remove the actual shift pads included on the original rim?
You will have to remove the shifter paddles of your CSL Elite steering wheel or they will not be compatible.

What connects the the shift paddle to the snap dome? It looks like whatever that is is off center and the edge of it is pressing on the snap dome.

Edit: If you're getting the fixed shifters, just take the paddles off the wheel since you already have it apart.
For each padlle there's a kind of plastic/rubber smal cilindrical pin like thing, that transmits the pressure to the dome... it s a loose cilindrical pin that fits in a cilindrical tunel like space existing right bellow the padlles... and both seem to be correctingly aligned... I believe that the membrane from the dome as simply colapsed due to the usage... and that is why it shows a cut on the left of it... it colapsed in that cut line...

For each padlle there's a kind of plastic/rubber smal cilindrical pin like thing, that transmits the pressure to the dome... it s a loose cilindrical pin that fits in a cilindrical tunel like space existing right bellow the padlles... and both seem to be correctingly aligned... I believe that the membrane from the dome as simply colapsed due to the usage... and that is why it shows a cut on the left of it... it colapsed in that cut line...

The QR conversion I added to my P1 also replaced all of the parts for the shifter and added magnets. It uses a solid post for the shift actuator, not that floating post. I pulled out my stock parts, and that post fit is a bit loose-not sure if that would be an issue or not. Do your posts still have the foam piece attached to the end? It does look like the snap domes just cracked from use-not sure I've seen that before.

The main problem is a bit different... Static shuifter Padles are not compatible with P1 rim... :(
Is this official statement by Fanatec and is there any other reason for the incompatibility other than the shifter paddles of CSL Steering Wheels that cannot be removed?
Because these shifter paddles of the CSL Steering Wheel can be removed if the steering wheel is disassembled.

Last edited:
Is this official statement by Fanatec and is there any other reason for the incompatibility other than the shifter paddles of CSL Steering Wheels that cannot be removed?
Because these shifter paddles can be removed if the steering wheel is disassembled

Fot these shifter paddles, on the oficial Fanatec pagefor this add on,and on the "Compatibility" Chapter:

• Wheel base of CSL Elite Racing Wheel - officially licensed for PS4™. Note: NOT compatible with the steering wheel included with this racing wheel!
  • NOT compatible to CSL Steering Wheels, as their shifter paddles cannot be removed!

Fot these shifter paddles, on the oficial Fanatec pagefor this add on,and on the "Compatibility" Chapter:

• Wheel base of CSL Elite Racing Wheel - officially licensed for PS4™. Note: NOT compatible with the steering wheel included with this racing wheel!
  • NOT compatible to CSL Steering Wheels, as their shifter paddles cannot be removed!
I will try to find a definite answer but it may take some time.

Because these shifter paddles of the CSL Steering Wheel can be removed if the steering wheel is disassembled.
Unfortunately it is not compatible. Even if you were able to remove the paddles, the P1's Simplified QR clamp will collide with the static shifter mounting plate.

Unfortunately it is not compatible. Even if you were able to remove the paddles, the P1's Simplified QR clamp will collide with the static shifter mounting plate.

I see... meanwhile... I patched the thing with an extra isolation tape patch... and on the next day to it... it looks like it sticks.. and has performed ok since... aditionaly... I ve discovered a guy here in Portugal with a 2nd hand (but almost new) P1 Xbox Rim and he is selling it really cheap... so I´m going for it... to be sure that I really wil have a working Wheel for the near future.. :)

I have my Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 with a P1 Rim (Basic Bundle) for around 2 years (more or less) and from some time ago (more than a month) the right shifter paddle (Upshifter) became slighlty lighter and the click noise and feel when activated, became different from what it was in the begining (and from the left/downshift paddle), the worst is that aditionaly, it started having serious problems to upshif!!!!

Sometimes it simply fails repeatidly, or does´ nt upshift at all, and other times, it double upshifts!

And after sometime using it, with all this problems, it will start responding a bit better, but even so demanding aditional pressure for upshifting.. mostly!

Its quite infuriating, to say the least...

I see... meanwhile... I patched the thing with an extra isolation tape patch... and on the next day to it... it looks like it sticks.. and has performed ok since... aditionaly... I ve discovered a guy here in Portugal with a 2nd hand (but almost new) P1 Xbox Rim and he is selling it really cheap... so I´m going for it... to be sure that I really wil have a working Wheel for the near future.. :)
Re: Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 with a P1 Rim (Basic Bundle).
Just over the last week I began experiencing the same problem with the upshift (right) paddle. A search led me to this thread.
The downshift (left) paddle seems to be fine, although I'm not getting/feeling the click the downshift are engaging the gears. Strangely enough I'm getting/feeling the click on the upshift (right) paddle but the upshifting of gears is sticking intermittently as you described:
.....And after sometime using it, with all this problems, it will start responding a bit better, but even so demanding aditional pressure for upshifting.. mostly!

I just removed the rim and housing to examine and the snap dome looks fine (haven't seen any cut or damage as in your snapshot). I have reassembled the wheel but haven't fired up the PS4 to try out yet. Hoping for the best as it's really frustrating when trying to upshift with the gear not changing albeit intermittently.

So what is your status? You eventually bought the 2nd hand wheel that the guy in Portugal was selling cheap? How's things working out?

io ho una domanda dove posso contattare fanatec per capire come risolvere il problema nella paletta del dowshift ma da lo stesso problema non fa più il clac ma è diventata morbida tutta via il segnale lo riceve

io ho una domanda dove posso contattare fanatec per capire come risolvere il problema nella paletta del dowshift ma da lo stesso problema non fa più il clac ma è diventata morbida tutta via il segnale lo riceve
Hi @Mattia7Panci , please create a Support Ticket via the My Products section of your Fanatec account. One of our support agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Back