Fanatec wheel base and wheel - PS 4 / 5

• Thread starter Ian JB
  • 15 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Ian Bick
Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading my set up. Going from a CSL Elite wheel base to a Direct Drive. I have ordered the pedals - CSL V2 including the load cell unit. My question is as follows...

Which wheel base and wheel do I need?

I think it needs a metal connection between the wheel and base. I am not sure about a QR system as I will only have one wheel and base.
The only thing it will be used for is Gran Turismo.
I am not too concerned about the budget - The wifey person got a new greenhouse earlier in the year!

I would love to hear from some of you who have travelled this route before.

Many thanks, as always, in advance.

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

You need the GT DD Pro.

You can upgrade the QR later. If you'd like to jump right in with a new QR the QR2 lite is enough for the DD Pro and it's the cheaper option. You'll need both wheel side and base side if you do.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you both!

This decision process is turning out to be a nightmare. While the Fanatec website is helpful, it is certainly confusing too. My main concern here is the connection between the wheel and base. With the extra force supplied by the base - Will a plastic connection hold up?

There are several products in my sights. I just need to make sure that it will all work together when it all arrives here.

Thanks again for you input. I really do appreciate it!!!

Best regards.

Ian.

There are plenty of people here who've had issues with the QR1 that comes with the DD Pro but there are plenty who haven't as well. If you have concerns for your own setup, the QR2 is a smart upgrade. I assume everything from here forward will be designed towards this upgrade. I don't think you need to start with it but if it gives peace of mind, just do it. I did have two different times where my wheel disconnected from my base with the QR1 setup that comes with the package. A reboot always fixed it but since I have the new qR2 it hasn't done it one time.

Hi,

Thank you both!

This decision process is turning out to be a nightmare. While the Fanatec website is helpful, it is certainly confusing too. My main concern here is the connection between the wheel and base. With the extra force supplied by the base - Will a plastic connection hold up?

There are several products in my sights. I just need to make sure that it will all work together when it all arrives here.

Thanks again for you input. I really do appreciate it!!!

Best regards.

Ian.
DD Pro comes with QR1 - it is more than up to the job but the interface is not perfect (there is always some play in the connection). QR2 is a fantastic upgrade and I highly recommend it. Of course not an issue with the CS DD+ as it comes with QR2 anyway.

Around wheelbase choices. If GT7 is the ONLY game you are interested in then you might really want the official GT rim and that only comes with the DD Pro and can't currently be bought separately from Fanatec. They do come up on ebay quite often though so that's an option if you prefer the higher end CS DD+ wheelbase.

If you do go the DD Pro route then I highly recommend the 8Nm version.

Last edited:
Hi,

I think I have a plan now - With many many thanks to Caleb and you guys -

I am going to order the Club Sport DD+ when it is available in late December.
Then the Club Sport RS wheel together with a QR2 at the wheel side.
Then add all of the above to the CSL V2 Load cell pedals and I think I am good to go... Yeah?

Please say yes as this has been giving me some kinda stress these last few days! :-)

Ian.

As I mentioned to you via PM I have that wheel and love it but there may be a better option for you.. I suggest browsing through the myriad options they have on their page to see what you might prefer. There are some newer modular ones that they designed with Sparco that look very very nice. Might be worth looking into that option as well.

Hi,

I think I have a plan now - With many many thanks to Caleb and you guys -

I am going to order the Club Sport DD+ when it is available in late December.
Then the Club Sport RS wheel together with a QR2 at the wheel side.
Then add all of the above to the CSL V2 Load cell pedals and I think I am good to go... Yeah?

Please say yes as this has been giving me some kinda stress these last few days! :-)

Ian.
You may also want to look at this.

This steering wheel will be torque limited with CS DD+ and not worth it.
I thought the limit was imposed by the QR, rather than the wheel rim itself? The plastic QR1-lite on the GT rim can be replaced with a higher end QR so doesn't that remove the torque limit? Or does the base detect the GT rim specifically and lock torque regardless of the QR?

After owning the dd pro 8 since may, I’d definitely go with the 15nm dd+. First, the 8nm(ddpro) is good for 265mm wheels to about 300mm, but bigger wheels, such as my 330mm are a bit much for it and become light and weak. Also, the dd pro isn’t upgradable to fanatecs new full force tech, which is an end run for sony’s decision to be slackers with fanatecs sdk.

Also, definitely go with qr2. The fidelity is worth it and while you think that your going with a single wheel, down the road you may want more. I’ve found its nice to have a wheel which matches the car when in vr. I’d also recommend psvr2 as its as much or more of an upgrade to the driving experience as a wheel. Presently, i’d say its more of an upgrade than the dd pro 8nm, with the jury still out on the full force tech, of course.

Does anyone know if this is going to be announced soon? Just like @Ian JB I'm also in the process of upgrading my rig and I've decided I will get the CS DD+ when it comes out later this month. I was going to pair with it with the McLaren V2 as a starter wheel with QR2 and then get something else later down the road. But if they are going to release the DD+ bundled with what looks like a better wheel than the GT DD Pro, perhaps it might be best to just wait for that.

Does anyone know if this is going to be announced soon? Just like @Ian JB I'm also in the process of upgrading my rig and I've decided I will get the CS DD+ when it comes out later this month. I was going to pair with it with the McLaren V2 as a starter wheel with QR2 and then get something else later down the road. But if they are going to release the DD+ bundled with what looks like a better wheel than the GT DD Pro, perhaps it might be best to just wait for that.
Here it says:
New products shortly to be announced.

Back