Fanatec wheel purchase conundrum

Australia
Aussie
Tassie_tiger
Hi all.
I'll be taking the plunge on ordering a new wheel in about a weeks time, but I'm running around in circles trying to decide which way to go.

As a lot of play will be done on the PS4, I was basically looking at the CSL Elite or the T-GT.
I had always favoured the CSL, and then I saw the official price of the T-GT which only strengthened that opinion.
But then this noise issue of the CSL became apparent and now I'm back at square one.

Enter the Drive Hub.
So now I'm thinking, stuff it, get the v2.5.
It's better than the CSL, and no noise issues.
Fanatec is back being the strong favourites.
But looking at the rims, again I hit a dead end.
A Formula rim is a no brainer. That went straight onto the list.
But for the PS4 there's basically only 2 choices for a round rim, the rest are X Box.
The BMW rim I just don't like, and while I do like the Porsche rim, I can't get passed the brown leather.
That sounds a bit fussy I know, but for A$600 things like this start to take on more significance.

The alternative is to get the CSL XBox wheel, but I know the CSL PS4 wheel is better.
Plus I'm not sure I could talk them into selling me some Playstation buttons for it anyway.

If only they sold the CSL PS4 wheel separately, this decision would probably be done by now.

So what would you guys do in my position?
Drive Hub, v2.5 base, a Formula rim, and then hope they release the CSL PS4 wheel rim?
Or am I making too much of a fuss about the noise of the CSL Elite base, and just get that with wheel, plus a formula rim?

I realise at this rate I'm now spending just as much, if not more, than I would if getting the T-GT.
And while I am interested in it, it's Fanatec I'm keener on.

If anyone has any thoughts, opinions, alternative ideas, or news regarding Fanatec wheels, I would be more than grateful to hear them.
:cheers:

Last edited:
The DriveHub means you can use the Xbox rims on PS4 too by the way. So there's no limit to which you can get with V2.5. I got the Xbox Competition package with the new P1 Elite Xbox rim, and it works on PS4 with DriveHub.

Also: Fanatec pedals over TM pedals every day of the week. Make sure you get the CSL Elite LC pedals and you're golden.

Hi all.
I'll be taking the plunge on ordering a new wheel in about a weeks time, but I'm running around in circles trying to decide which way to go.

As a lot of play will be done on the PS4, I was basically looking at the CSL Elite or the T-GT.
I had always favoured the CSL, and then I saw the official price of the T-GT which only strengthened that opinion.
But then this noise issue of the CSL became apparent and now I'm back at square one.

Enter the Drive Hub.
So now I'm thinking, stuff it, get the v2.5.
It's better than the CSL, and no noise issues.
Fanatec is back being the strong favourites.
But looking at the rims, again I hit a dead end.
A Formula rim is a no brainer. That went straight onto the list.
But for the PS4 there's basically only 2 choices for a round rim, the rest are X Box.
The BMW rim I just don't like, and while I do like the Porsche rim, I can't get passed the brown leather.
That sounds a bit fussy I know, but for A$600 things like this start to take on more significance.

The alternative is to get the CSL XBox wheel, but I know the CSL PS4 wheel is better.
Plus I'm not sure I could talk them into selling me some Playstation buttons for it anyway.

If only they sold the CSL PS4 wheel separately, this decision would probably be done by now.

So what would you guys do in my position?
Drive Hub, v2.5 base, a Formula rim, and then hope they release the CSL PS4 wheel rim?
Or am I making too much of a fuss about the noise of the CSL Elite base, and just get that with wheel, plus a formula rim?

I realise at this rate I'm now spending just as much, if not more, than I would if getting the T-GT.
And while I am interested in it, it's Fanatec I'm keener on.

If anyone has any thoughts, opinions, alternative ideas, or news regarding Fanatec wheels, I would be more than grateful to hear them.
:cheers:
The CSL PS4 wheel and CSL XBox wheel are equally noisy.

The compatibility of the CSL PS4 wheel with PS4 is built-in in the base not in the wheel rim,so even put the CSL PS4 wheel rim on the CSL XBox wheel base it will not be compatible with PS4.

The CSL PS4 base, Clubsport pedals, and any additional wheel rim that fits your fancy. If you don't have a wheel already and you don't have the Drive Hub and the PS4 is your primary gaming machine, then native compatibility is the way to go.

I’ve got the BMW rim and love it. It’s a good size a good weight with plenty of buttons in good locations. What is it you don’t like about it?

My apologies for not getting back here sooner.
I've been a very busy boy and haven't been able to visit GTPlanet for a number of days.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond with their thoughts. :cheers:

The DriveHub means you can use the Xbox rims on PS4 too by the way. So there's no limit to which you can get with V2.5. I got the Xbox Competition package with the new P1 Elite Xbox rim, and it works on PS4 with DriveHub.

Also: Fanatec pedals over TM pedals every day of the week. Make sure you get the CSL Elite LC pedals and you're golden.

That's true regarding the Xbox wheels.
But my impression is that they all come via the universal hub.
This puts all those wheels above the price point of the Porsche wheel.
So I've discounted going down that avenue.

Regarding pedals, I completely agree.
Fanatec all the way.
I struggle to go passed the V3's though.
I don't think I'll bother with the inverted set, but my eyes are on the V3's with damper for the brake, and performance kit.
I can't tell you why, but my preference is for the V3's over the CSL LC pedals.
Saying that, I know the brake on the CSL's is 16 bit (which sounds enticing), but I'm sure that's a PC only thing when directly plugged with USB.
And while I'm also looking at a gaming PC, that feature (for whatever reason) doesn't seem to be tipping the scales for me.

I'd agree: CSWv2.5 base and the new shiny Alcantara CSL Elite P1 rim seems like a good combo to me. And indeed budget in good pedals and a good setup to mount them.

I think this is where I'm still leaning.
Regarding that particular wheel, I'll comment further shortly.
It's the Fanatec pedals which leave me with this decision I'm fighting, so they are top of the budget.
Regarding the mount, I ordered my Rseat today, so I'm stoked that part of the puzzle is underway.

The CSL PS4 wheel and CSL XBox wheel are equally noisy.

The compatibility of the CSL PS4 wheel with PS4 is built-in in the base not in the wheel rim,so even put the CSL PS4 wheel rim on the CSL XBox wheel base it will not be compatible with PS4.

Yeh, sorry mate.
That part of my post was a little confusing.
I was referring to the wheel rim only there, not the base.

But speaking of that, it seems I was a bit behind the times.
And I think this is what @skazz was talking about.
I assumed that rim was the older Xbox rim.
The newer PS4 rim is lighter and has the Snapdome shifters.
It turns out I was wrong, and the new wheel is exactly the same, and releases for purchase today.
So that has changed things up a bit for me.

The CSL PS4 base, Clubsport pedals, and any additional wheel rim that fits your fancy. If you don't have a wheel already and you don't have the Drive Hub and the PS4 is your primary gaming machine, then native compatibility is the way to go.
You're making my decision more difficult. :sly:
It's a great point and difficult to argue against.
I am also getting a fairly serious gaming rig, so I'm trying to keep that in the mix regarding PC gaming.
But there's no doubt I'll be burning a hole through my GTSport disc, so official PS4 support is a big consideration.

I’ve got the BMW rim and love it. It’s a good size a good weight with plenty of buttons in good locations. What is it you don’t like about it?
You're right.
I formed that opinion too quickly just from looking at the images on the website.
I've since looked further into it (old reviews on ISR, etc) and realised my error.
I have no personal ties towards either BMW nor Porsche, and neither are my favourite brand, so there's nothing pulling me towards either of those wheels.
So even though I've sharpened up my act and now realise how good those wheels are, I still can't see myself getting either.

So I think I'm within 24 hours of making this call.
Otherwise I'll have a rig sitting there and no wheel to put on it.
As it stands I'm still leaning towards the V2.5, new release P1 rim, Formula rim, V3 pedals, and Drivehub.
I wish I could talk myself into going the PS4 route regarding the wheel and base, but when spending around A$3000, the last thing I want is to be disappointed by something like noise from the unit.
I would love to hear/see reviews of how the latest software has altered the CSL, but seeing videos of the V2.5 performing so quietly, and all the videos of the CSL performing so loudly, as much as official support is great, I'm thinking the V2.5 is going to win out, and hope to god the Drivehub works its magic.

Last edited:
I went the v2.5 route, with the P1 Elite steering wheel and CSL LC pedals with a DriveHub. Best combo ever. No noise, the hardest part was mounting the whole **** so it wouldn't shake my GTUltimate V2 to death. So much strength in that package :D

You won't regret it

So I think I'm within 24 hours of making this call.
Otherwise I'll have a rig sitting there and no wheel to put on it.
As it stands I'm still leaning towards the V2.5, new release P1 rim, Formula rim, V3 pedals, and Drivehub.
I wish I could talk myself into going the PS4 route regarding the wheel and base, but when spending around A$3000, the last thing I want is to be disappointed by something like noise from the unit.
I would love to hear/see reviews of how the latest software has altered the CSL, but seeing videos of the V2.5 performing so quietly, and all the videos of the CSL performing so loudly, as much as official support is great, I'm thinking the V2.5 is going to win out, and hope to god the Drivehub works its magic.

The Drive Hub WILL work. No need to worry about that. ;)

The Drive Hub WILL work. No need to worry about that. ;)
I appreciate the assurance.

As it stands I'm basically waiting for midnight to tick over so I can put my order in.
I've blown my daily limit today on TV's, rig, etc., so I have a few more hours to contemplate before pulling the trigger.

From what I've seen, Drivehub still have stock should I go the V2.5 route, which is good.
But slightly nervous about that.

But hey, first world problems.
Ridiculous issue really.

Back