Fanatec wheel set up

• Thread starter Beliall
  • 13 comments
Beliall / Beliall X (360)
Beliall X
Had a quick search but could'nt find a definative thread about the settings for users with this wheel. Does anyone play F1 with a Fanatec wheel? Would you share your settigs please, I'm not keen to play about with the settings on a wheel i dont fully understand. Many thanks in advance chaps.

Had a quick search but could'nt find a definative thread about the settings for users with this wheel. Does anyone play F1 with a Fanatec wheel? Would you share your settigs please, I'm not keen to play about with the settings on a wheel i dont fully understand. Many thanks in advance chaps.

Make your own settings to your liking, how you say? I got very lucky and ran across an explanation for all of the settings, Keep in mind I have the GT3 RSv2 wheel.

Nice one! Make sure you get the most upto date firmware from thomas's blog http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/3580 It adds more features to the on the fly tuning menu on the wheel. Will post my settings in here as a starting point, see what you think and change as you wish.

S_1 to S_5 These are the five different groups of settings you can store. So you could have one for each game or a couple for the same game but one for r class cars (less steering rotation) and one for drifting.

Within each of the 5 settings groups there are 7 settings that can be changed (only with the updated firmware, earlier firmware doesn't have as many), these are:

SEn : This is the maximum lock to lock rotation of the wheel and can be changed from 90 to 900 degrees in 10 degree steps. I mainly use the 900 degree mode, except with R class cars where 360 seems better to me. If you are going to use 900 degree mode, the wheel needs to be in 900 degree mode each time the wheel connects to your xbox. Changing from any other rotation value to 900 degrees whilst in game will result in the 900 degree mode not working properly. Easy way to solve this is to put the wheel into 900 degree mode, power of the wheel with the button on the side, power it back on , press the xbox guide button to reconnect the wheel and xbox. Anothe general tip is to never turn the xbox on with the wheel, always turn the xbox on via the button on the xbox first and then turn the wheel on and then connect using the xbox guide button on the wheel.

ff : This is the strength of the force feedback. It can be changed in 10 % steps from 0 to 100. The wheel has strong forcefeedback and I normally set it to 40%.

sho : This is the vibration function of two vibration fucntions motors in the wheel rim and can be set in 10% steps form 0 to 100. It's linked to the accelerator pedal in Forza and other general vibration stuff. I turn it off as it gets on my tits!!

dri : Fanatec call this drift mode as it was implemented to help drifting but is very useful in general driving as well. It can be changed in single steps of 1 to 5. What it does is reduces the damping of the wheel as the value increases. Basically it reduces the amount of force required to counter steer. The motors in this wheel are strong and with dri set to zero it actually takes quite a bit of effort to conter steer when you get the back end out. Increasing this value makes it much easier to counter steer. I set it 4 but I'm still learning about the best way to use it, so that may change in the future.

AbS : This is a clever little feature and changes depending on whether or not you have the clubsport pedals or not. It is changeable in 1 % steps from 0 to 100 and induces a vibration at the percentage of braking force you set. So if you set the value to 50, vibration will occur when you reach 50% braking force. Without the clubsport pedals the two vibration motors in the wheel rim vibrate and with the clubsport pedals a vibration motor attached to the brake pedal vibrates. I set this to 80% as I feel the wheels start to lock from about 82% onwards. So in essence this enables you to feel when you are about to lock your brakes. Very good feature of the wheel in my opinion.

Lin : This is how linear the wheel is across it's rotation. It's change in 1 % steps from 0 to 100. It's not easy to explain but basically means you can set the wheel to be less sensitive at its centre than at it's outside. This means you can have the rotation set to say 360, but at 30 degrees either side of the centre position turning the wheel results in only a slight rotation of the wheel in game. The further you get from the centre point the more the wheel turns in game relative to the lin percentage you set. Rubbish explanation I know. Personally I don't use it.

dEA : This is a feature that lets you set a deadzone at the centre of the wheel and is changeable in 10% steps from 0 to I don't know actually! It's been introduced in this firmware release because of the lack of a mechanical deadzone at the centre of the wheel due to it being belt driven rather than gear driven. All gear driven wheels have a slight mechanical deadzone at the centre as a result of the teeth of the gear cogs. This has caused issues with GT5P in particular where with the wheel centred driving in a straight line would result in the wheel swinging fron side to side due to force feedback effects becasue PD had not tested the game with the wheel so were not aware it had no dead zone. All wheels PD tested had some inherent mechanical deadzone which meant at it's centre positon the wheel did not report any values and a forcefeedback response from the game did not result. With the Fanatecs lacks of deadzone it is very difficult to keep it exaclty centred. This would result in the wheel reporting a small steering angle to the game and the game, taking into account the expected deadzone, would thing a much larger steering angle was in effect would send a force feedback signal back to the wheel to centre it even though it was close to centre. This force feedback effect would send the wheel off centre the other way creating another steering angle the game would see as larger than it was resulting in an even bigger force feedback signal being set to the wheel. This would all snowball resulting in the wheel swinging from sise to side when trying to drive in a straight line. Thomas has assured us that PD have tested the wheel with GT5 and the issue will not be present when released. I haven't tested it enough to know what a good value is but I would imagine 10 - 30 would be enough.

Hopefull this hasn't bored you to tears and has helped a little. I was a bit confused when I first got the wheel and it took me a while to understand what all the settings were. Obviously you will find the settings that you like but hopefully it will give you a decent reference point.

I wanted to thank you before i read you post, loads of information, perfect for a noob like me, I also have the GT3 RSV2, so be very helpful. need the firmwaare first then ill try your suggestions. Many thanks!

Thanks....The Jenius

I would only wish we had (Wheel Set-up) for each racing game we have on the PS3......find myself spending alot of time setting up the wheel and not the car setup in the game

Thanks....The Jenius

I would only wish we had (Wheel Set-up) for each racing game we have on the PS3......find myself spending alot of time setting up the wheel and not the car setup in the game

It can though, it has 5 setting banks that you can save all new settings to, I have different settings for F1 2010, F1:CE and GT5P. Ehen you 1st hit the setting button it reads S_1 just scroll up or down to goto S_2 and so on until S_5.

I had a play about with the setting, and am now about 2 seconds a lap faster round bahrain in F1 2010. just got so much more confidence with this wheel, really happy i got it.

It can though, it has 5 setting banks that you can save all new settings to, I have different settings for F1 2010, F1:CE and GT5P. Ehen you 1st hit the setting button it reads S_1 just scroll up or down to goto S_2 and so on until S_5.

I understand all that...what i was asking.....What are the setting on the wheel that you are using for those different games

This will become a great help...thanks again

Here we are.

Fanatec GT3 RS Setting;

sen - off

FF - 100

sho - 10

dri - 2 (personal pref, you may want to adjust)

abs - off (no CSP's- yet)

lin - 000

dea - 000

F1 2010 game settings

steering deadzone 0%
steering saturation 100%
steering linearity 40%
throttle deadzone 0%
throttle saturation 100%
brake deadzone 0%
brake saturation 100%

feedback - on
environment affects - 100
feedback strength - 100
wheel weight - 50%

Most of these are default, and I havent finished playing with them yet, but this is what i was racing with yesterday. I'll update any changes as they happen.

EDIT - forgot to add I have all driving assists OFF

Last edited:
In the manual it says to leave it off to let the game manage the steering angle. I figured i'd leave it. But dont try to alter that setting during a lap, it screws it up royaly.

Fanatec Porsche Turbo S (CSP)
Firmware 678

Wheel Set-up for F1 2010 ( PS3)

Sen ----- 270

FF----------80

Sho -------100

Dri --------0FF

ABS-------000

Lin ------- 50

Dea ------- 60

Spr -------- 2

Def advance wheel set-up in game