Farewell SIM steering

Discussion in 'Forza Motorsport 4' started by Speedster911, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Speedster911

Speedster911

So I was finding it annoying having to turn the analog stick up before turning it either way to get the front wheels to bite more and have more mid-corner grip.

Started googling the whole SIM vs Normal steering debate, and stumbled upon this conversation Wolfe and I had here last year. And I've got to say every point he made checks out 100%:

Normal steering works best on a controller, and you have a better sense of what the front tires are doing as well as having a more grounded and "weight conscious" feel to the car. Though I did enjoy the high-response and somewhat twitchy steering behaviour of SIM steering, I can confidently say I'll never be using it again, since I use a controller only. SIM steering seems to exaggerate certain characteristics which I can't say are a replica of actual high speed driving.

Wolfe, thanks again for your past insights. I'm enjoying the game much more. In fact, for the first time, I am now giving the cockpit view a chance. The steering and front tires feel more alive now + the interior view and the menacing growl of car sounds from this perspective is a real treat for the senses. Aside from the wheel animation, there are so many things T10 got right with this view.

For you controller users out there, stick to normal steering and give it a shot.

I'm curious though, how the car's understeer/oversteer characteristics are influenced with 900 deg wheel rotation and SIM steering.

Get back to me with your thoughts and experiences on controller + normal steering.

Happy motoring! :D

Wolfe likes this.
  2. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

I'm glad I could help you to enjoy FM4 that much more. :cheers:

Speedster911 likes this.
  3. Speedster911

Speedster911

Check out some FB I left in the Shift 2 thread!

4. HuskyGT

HuskyGT

After playing FM3 for months and jumping directly to FM4, even Sim it feels beautiful with the controller. I've got to give Normal a try.

Speedster911 likes this.
  5. Speedster911

Speedster911

FM4 does feel very good on SIM + controller if you're very precise with your inputs and nail down the intricate corrections bit.

I go to normal from time to time, which definitely makes the driving less nuanced and too basic for my taste.

I prefer SIM though, just for the challenge of it. Though it makes me wonder how your driver counter-steers so fast!
    I'm sure the full glory of SIM steering is best experienced with a 900 deg wheel.