Fast Car Effect

  • Thread starter Thread starter pumaATTACK
  • 16 comments
  • 1,634 views
Messages
394
Messages
pumaATTACK
Ok, I just wanted to get other peoples opinions on this.

Whenever I start a GT (1 through 5) game, I love the beginning races with the slower cars as they seem to be the most even of the races and require you to drive a good line and not just over power the cars.

However, I have noticed that when I progress in the game and get faster cars, it no longer feels the same to go back and do the slower races. I guess I just feel that I could be going so much faster and the slow cars seems out of place.

Does anybody have this experience too or ways to remody it? I would love to go back and use different sports cars and not just top of the line race cars.

Maybe getting a wheel will make the experience better?
 
I was trying to get my wife to play it, so I set her up with a nice little Daihatsu Midget in the first Sunday Cup race. She wouldn't play anyway :indiff: So I did a race and managed a third place. It was kind of fun. But yeah, once you're used to driving fast cars, it's tough to go back to the slow ones. I do enjoy the medium powered vehicles a whole lot though. The VW Lupo race around the 'Ring is fun because it's quick enough to keep your interest, yet slow enough that you can concentrate on cutting nice lines through the corners. Same with a mostly stock Audi R8 around the 'Ring. Just a set of soft racing tires and a rear wing.

I guess it's the same with any game. In a shooter, you might start out with a basic rifle, and it's fun. Then by the end of the game you've got rocket launchers and stuff, and can't imagine going back to the simple rifle.
 
I like normal cars more than super fast race cars. The best thing about race cars is how good the normal cars feel when you go back to them.
 
I get what you mean, I think you just need to keep at it until you get used to the slower cars again. I mean, you've climbed the ladder right to the top, then starting at the bottom again.

Personally I feel equally at home no matter what car I drive (except the Group C/LMP1/2/F1 cars, they're a little too fast for me to enjoy). I have a custom-made course which is full of hairpins and tight bends and I've recently been time attacking it in all manner of machines, I've set records in a fully tuned GT-R, a Caterham, the RE Amemiya road car, GT by Citroen race car, Mazda AZ-1, fully tuned Evo IV... It's great fun, comparing one car to another. Of course, you could also try looking for people who host one make races and such online, I've seen a Honda Type R club and a GT-R club, you could probably find (or make) one for your favourite cars.


I guess it's the same with any game. In a shooter, you might start out with a basic rifle, and it's fun. Then by the end of the game you've got rocket launchers and stuff, and can't imagine going back to the simple rifle.

Tell that to the people who make a point of completing Resident Evil games with just the handgun!
 
I get what you mean, I think you just need to keep at it until you get used to the slower cars again. I mean, you've climbed the ladder right to the top, then starting at the bottom again.

Personally I feel equally at home no matter what car I drive (except the Group C/LMP1/2/F1 cars, they're a little too fast for me to enjoy). I have a custom-made course which is full of hairpins and tight bends and I've recently been time attacking it in all manner of machines, I've set records in a fully tuned GT-R, a Caterham, the RE Amemiya road car, GT by Citroen race car, Mazda AZ-1, fully tuned Evo IV... It's great fun, comparing one car to another. Of course, you could also try looking for people who host one make races and such online, I've seen a Honda Type R club and a GT-R club, you could probably find (or make) one for your favourite cars.




Tell that to the people who make a point of completing Resident Evil games with just the handgun!


Thanks for the input!

I want to go back and get a RX-7, S4, etc. and test them out.
I guess you are probably right, just spend a few laps with them to get used to go 1/5 of the speed I had gotten used to.

Can't wait to try it out!
 
I like normal cars more than super fast race cars. The best thing about race cars is how good the normal cars feel when you go back to them.

Do you use a wheel or a DS3?
 
I was trying to get my wife to play it, so I set her up with a nice little Daihatsu Midget in the first Sunday Cup race. She wouldn't play anyway :indiff: So I did a race and managed a third place. It was kind of fun. But yeah, once you're used to driving fast cars, it's tough to go back to the slow ones. I do enjoy the medium powered vehicles a whole lot though. The VW Lupo race around the 'Ring is fun because it's quick enough to keep your interest, yet slow enough that you can concentrate on cutting nice lines through the corners. Same with a mostly stock Audi R8 around the 'Ring. Just a set of soft racing tires and a rear wing.

I guess it's the same with any game. In a shooter, you might start out with a basic rifle, and it's fun. Then by the end of the game you've got rocket launchers and stuff, and can't imagine going back to the simple rifle.

I do want to try the Ring with slower cars now that I am getting a better sense of the whole track. I just hate seeing the 12 minute lap times!
 
The VW Lupo race around the 'Ring is fun because it's quick enough to keep your interest, yet slow enough that you can concentrate on cutting nice lines through the corners. Same with a mostly stock Audi R8 around the 'Ring. Just a set of soft racing tires and a rear wing.
+1
I'm with you 100% on this. I have the Minolta, Toy7, etc... Lots of fast cars but the most fun I have is the Lupo Race or taking my tuned Hyundia Tiberon or RM Cappuccino around the Ring. It's just fast enough to be fun and not so fast that you spin out thinking "What just happened?".
 
You just have to get a feel for the car you're driving. Going from something like the X1 into something like a stock MX5 can be a little disorientating, but once you get used to the slower car again its still very possible to have fun. It's just a different kind of fun.
 
I've always had more fun racing the medium HP cars more than the high HP race cars. For me, it is more stressful and less fun when you get into the levels that require 700+ hp race cars. That's why I never finish the GT games, and wind up going back and just restarting my careers.
 
I went through the game up to level 20 or something without actually completing every single race. So I was left with some beginner, amateur etc. races. At some point I went back to make sure I golded everything so I had to go back to the slow cars. It was really fun! In a lot of cases I find it takes more technique to drive the low powered cars fast than to drive the really fast ones. You can't just rely on the power of the car to pull you out of any kind of trouble which adds an interesting dimension in my opinion.

Low powered cars are definitely a lot of fun!
 
I actually really don't like driving the really high powered cars much. As someone else suggested, it's fun to pick (or make) a track, and just go through your car list, picking cars you haven't driven in a while, or at all, and put down some laps.

My favorite cars are the "attainable" cars like the E46 M3, or the VW GTI, things like that. Occasionally I venture into the land of the R8, but I don't really enjoy driving the Zondas much, and really don't enjoy the LMP cars.
 
This is why I won't drive my X1 until I'm done with the game (not including Vettle challenge).

I don't want to screw up my sense of speed.
 
For me the same, I don't like the really fast cars. They are no fun on the ring, and that's why I hate those stupid races with the LMP cars on it. Those cars were simply not designed competing there. I highly enjoy taking DTM cars or somthing similar there and that is the most fun I get out of GT. Those cars can drive there and somewhen back Opel just took there DTM Astra to the 24h race at the Ring.
 
Thanks for the input!

I think I am going to buy some sweet premiums ,no a/s4 premium :(,and take them for various laps around the ring to see how they compare.

I am pretty much done with the A spec events so this should be a nice refreshing change of pace.
 
I think what the game coaxes you into thinking is that when you have enough speed, you don't need to go slower. This is of course wrong. Perfect example, you've raced the Grand Valley 300 and you think the career will only get faster from there...only to find yourself moving in a slow motion paced MX-5 for 4 HOURS around boring and short Tsukuba...oh, how brilliant...
 
I personally love the variety. I really like to drive the super fast cars at times. I love to drive the intermediate ones and even the slow ones. Fast is cool but after a while it takes a toll on you especially when using the PWTS. It is nice to race something a bit slower as a change of pace.

I probably most enjoy the cars that top out around 150-175mph. I also think that the cars in this range or even a bit lower make for more interesting racing. With the really fast ones it is to often that some cars will go off track and fall out of the real race where with the slower ones it is more likely to have a hard fought battle to the end which for me is as good as it gets.
 
Back