Faster 4th Gear "Glitch"

• Thread starter dickief1
  • 3 comments
DICF1
Hi, Me again!

Have any of you guys heard about the 4th gear glitch for Formula 1 Championship Edition online? Apparently whilst racing online and using manuel gear change a glitch has occured where as it is actually faster to keep the car in 4th gear rather than change right down through the "box" on entry to a slow corner!

I haven't tried it myself yet, but the time lost in the initial acceleration zone by leaving the gearbox in 4th is supposed to be quicker than if you say changed to 2nd or 3rd gear for the same corner as the engine braking in those gears is more deterimental for the complete lap time ie "slower".

Has anyone else heard of this glitch and/or know if it's true?

Cheers, dickief1

Hi, Me again!

Have any of you guys heard about the 4th gear glitch for Formula 1 Championship Edition online? Apparently whilst racing online and using manuel gear change a glitch has occured where as it is actually faster to keep the car in 4th gear rather than change right down through the "box" on entry to a slow corner!

I haven't tried it myself yet, but the time lost in the initial acceleration zone by leaving the gearbox in 4th is supposed to be quicker than if you say changed to 2nd or 3rd gear for the same corner as the engine braking in those gears is more deterimental for the complete lap time ie "slower".

Has anyone else heard of this glitch and/or know if it's true?

Cheers, dickief1

Yep, unfortunately it's true. It'll shave a couple of tenths off your lap times. At some tracks like Monaco or Budapest it may feel beneficial to go for 3rd gear some times but I think overall just keeping it no lower than 4th is the fastest way around.

They better not make that cock up again with F1 2010 when it eventually comes out.

They better not make that cock up again with F1 2010 when it eventually comes out.

As F1:CE was developed by Sony (Studio Liverpool) and the next F1 game is being developed by Codemasters (after Sony lost the F1 licence) its rather unlikley the glitch will be repeated.

It is however far more worrying that Codemasters are developing the game full stop (given that the CM series and GRiD are far from sims).

Regards

Scaff

Thanks again!

Man that's rubbish, it's a shame that's spoilt it and we've got to wait ages until the new one comes out.

Codemasters as a rule I think have produced great driving games in the past, TOCA 2 & Colin McRae Rally 2 are their best to date. GRID does provide a "sim" type challenge once all of the driver aids have been switched off, though most racers online tend to only race with them switched on. But it's still fun I suppose as Go-Kart style every man for himself crashfest! I'm hoping they'll produce the new F1 game to cater for both types of racer, maybe like in the "old days" where there's one section for arcade and another for simulation.

Bye for now, dickief1

Back