Fat PS3 shutdown issues playing GT6, possible solutions

Ireland
Ireland
partboy690
Hi all, I've noticed here and in other places that GT6 can be quite demanding on older PS3's. My PS3 is 6 years old now, original launch model 60GB with backwards compatibility. It's seen it's fair share of use but I look after my consoles really well and never before had I a random shut off until GT6. Even marathon GTA5 and Last Of Us sessions haven't made it shutdown.

I vacuumed out the vents and kept as far away from hot things as possible but it happened again. I was worried it was about to give up the ghost but one thing that was common on both those overheats was that my PS3 was laying flat vertically so I stood it up horizontally there today and went on a marathon session passing loads of the the international A races. I played from 6:30pm until now(11pm GMT) non stop and no random shut downs. Most of the time my PS3 is standing up and before those two random shutdowns I had none and I had played a good bit of GT6.

I'm not saying it's conclusive proof but I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days of playing. I'd like other people suffering this same problem to try it as well and let me know if it helps your PS3 as well. I don't want to lose my 60GB model because of the backwards compatibility.

My 60gb was much worse when it was standing vertically and not in the intended horizontal position.
I vacuumed/dusted the console 2-3x a year depending on usage and always kept it in an open area.
It died within a couple weeks of getting GT6.

Oops just noticed that the porter above me corrected OP in a more subtle and gentlemanly manner.

Easy mistake to make though that horizontal and vertical business. I just remember the film Vertical Limit which is about mountains which go up and down.

On tin subject at hand, yes my old PS3 freezez, GT6 is working it really hard. It's loading stuff several times, lots of times in fact, mid race. I've never heard such a racket.

I think this game is designed to break the machine so you go and buy a PS4.

The shop where I bought my GT6 warned me about not using it in PS3 fat. I bought that when it released, so maybe they have some insider knowledge about the PS3 fat issues. They're also warned me about that when I bought Red Dead Redemption there. I'm a slim user

The shop where I bought my GT6 warned me about not using it in PS3 fat. I bought that when it released, so maybe they have some insider knowledge about the PS3 fat issues. They're also warned me about that when I bought Red Dead Redemption there. I'm a slim user
I have a first generation fat. My appartment is fairly cold, but I don't clean up dust near enough. So far I haven't had any issues at all, with play sessions of up to 5 hours...

Open the cover and clean the dust and fluff out.
No matter if you clean the outside 10 times a day the inside will be caked in crap.
Stopped mine sounding like a vacuum cleaner (or a GT sound sample) after 15mins of being on.
(Have a Slim since 2009 which i have never even heard the fan on!)

Anyone from UK go to your nearest poundland, they sell laptop stands with built in USB fan, great for keeping airflowing underneath and yes you guessed it,only £1.
You can't see it when the PS3 is on it so no worries about looking bad;)

Last edited:
Open the cover and clean the dust and fluff out.
No matter if you clean the outside 10 times a day the inside will be caked in crap.
Stopped mine sounding like a vacuum cleaner (or a GT sound sample) after 15mins of being on.
(Have a Slim since 2009 which i have never even heard the fan on!)

Anyone from UK go to your nearest poundland, they sell laptop stands with built in USB fan, great for keeping airflowing underneath and yes you guessed it,only £1.
You can't see it when the PS3 is on it so no worries about looking bad;)
I use four bottle caps underneath it and it really lessen the heat vs nothing beneath it.

Laying flat would be horizontal.
Standing up would be vertical.

Correct me if I'm wrong I've just recovered from a 4 day migraine and am currently under the influence of solpadol.
Nope I'm the wrong one :boggled: how could I make such an elementary mistake. Anyway I'm going to keep it vertical and see what happens. Just thought I'd share and let people know my thoughts.

I've always used mine vertically since I got it, but, the story is that I got it for free when a guy I knew got rid of it because it wouldn't turn on, and when I was looking up what it could be, I saw a lot of people saying that the original power supply unit that came with it gets really hot, and if you replace it with a newer, more efficient model, it would run remarkably cooler.

Not having the original power supply to test this, I'm not sure how effective it was, but I have the newer, smaller one, and I've never had a problem playing anything ( including GT6 ). It's definitely louder than my slim PS3, but I've never had any overheating issues.

The new PSU cost me $25. and the model number was APS-226, as the newer APS-231 would work with my system, but had some issues with long term stability. I have a 40GB fat, and I'm pretty sure that the PSU differs with each version of the PS3, so you'll have to look it up for your own model if you're interested.

The system itself is actually really easy to take apart and replace the PSU. There's also a fan that you can replace with one with more blades, and heatsink paste that you can replace with some good paste while you're in there, though the fan's an extra $16. on eBay.

Here's a link to the fan: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Interna...n-For-Sony-Playstation-3-PS3-US-/200936323889

Last edited:
I ate a scotch bonnet chilli one time and was given milk to stop me dying. I thought pouring milk on my overheating PS3 would help it, my logic was all wrong on this occasion.
As wrong as me when I got my planes mixed up on my OP :D

On a serious note, second day playing through last night and no random shutdowns thankfully and the PS3 was relatively cool and quiet, while not conclusive proof by a long shot I think for anyone else suffering this same issue it's worth a shot :gtpflag:

Back