Favorite Era of Cars? (as defined by technological innovation)

Favorite Era of Cars?

• Smog (1970s-1980s) [Jaguar XJS]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NASA Grade (2000s-present) [Tesla]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
United States
Marin County
1 The proof of concept era (late 1800s-1910s) [Model T, Unique designs, steam-era engineering, etc]

2 The mass production era (1910s-1950s) [VW, standardization of controls & configuration, etc]

3 Mechanical technology peak (1950s-1970s) [Citroen DS, automatic trans, independent suspension, disc brakes, seat belts, refinement & isolation, etc]

4 Smog (1970s-1980s) [Jaguar XJS, catalysts, vacuum system hell, electronic ignition, crash structures, etc]

5 Computer fetish (1980s-1990s) [C4 Corvette, EFI, airbags, turbos, etc]

6 Man & Machine (1990s-2000s) [Honda NSX, OBDII, ABS, T/C, etc]

7 Adaptive & Dynamic (2000s-present) [Tesla, autopilot, dual-clutch, adaptive dampers, fly-by-wire, etc]

So this will be contentious, but it's my thread so I've reduced the last century-and-a-bit of automotive history into 7 convenient technological eras. I'm trying to set this in a way that reflects the technological adoption by the *majority* of cars produced and not the genesis of said technology. For instance, the automatic transmission was created well before the 1950s, but I don't think it achieved widespread adoption across the industry until then.

The cars associated with each of the categories I feel is emblematic of its era and has solid links to the era previous to it and the era immediately after it, often seeing its production run clear through into the next technological era. For instance the C4 corvette was released in 1984 but remained in production all the way until 1996. The NSX was 1991 until 2005. There is obviously no sharp lines between these eras, and a car produced in a year of one era might better reflect another. My 1984 RX-7 is waayyy more 1970s than 1980s despite the year it was made, and the VW beetle was still in production in the 1970s despite being very 1930s. I think in general, the categorization is pretty reflective of the gradual inertia of the industry.

This thread was inspired by the Jalopnik article Why Old Cars Suck. It got me thinking about the different eras of cars and which is my favorite, on the whole. While I certainly find the honest-mechanical feeling of 1950s-1970s cars appealing, the sheer amount of compromises you deal with to drive them regularly turns me off. Plus they are hilariously unsafe.

For me, the 1990s is just right. I feel all my favorite cars come from this era. Even the concept cars from the 1990s excite me the most. They are relatively safe, always start (simplifiying here) and seem to last *forever*. The technology is there, but it never feels its interfering. My Boxster is the most entertaining and engaging car I've ever driven, and I put it firmly in this era. All the Japanese greats from the 90s and 00s fall here too. Mclaren F1? Yep. For me, these cars represent the golden age of automotive design. It also helps I was a kid in these years, so I suppose there is a fair bit of nostalgia at work.

While the car chosen to represent the third group is one of my all-time favorites, I can't even consider anything but the earliest days of the automobile. I'm not looking at it as the period with examples that I would want to own or drive, but rather as the one that paved the way for all others to follow.

Everything was experimentation. There were those that stuck firmly to the horseless carriage model--often literally modifying horse-drawn carriages to be operated without--and then there were the true innovators who took the opportunity to do what wouldn't have been possible (or at the very least practical) with the beasts of burden.

I guess I'm just a romantic.

:P

90s - 00s for me too. There's something about the restrained but interesting styling and the concepts and ideas created for niches that many didn't even know existed. The courage and enthusiasm to really try anything to make it seem of a different time but without it becoming overly obnoxious or taking away from the vehicle. So much radical thinking and ideas designed which still are filtered through in brand new offerings today, like active aero or four wheel steering.

Back