Favorite Ring touring car?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Razzbar
  • 28 comments
  • 1,292 views
Messages
65
I've been running the Nurburgring event in the Meisterschaft series in all the different cars I've seen competing in it. I've won it in every car, and every car seems to be pretty nice. Can't say I have a favorite. My best time has been in the Opel Astra, but that's probably because of practice and warmup more than anything. The car seems a little bumpy.

Two that I like especially are the Audi A4, and the Alfa.

But what's an Alfa doing in that race series? It's supposed to be limited to German cars, no? Is the Alfa considered a German car?

(this is one of those times I wish the diary told which car I used)

I would consider creating a race report form for online use if I had access to a server that supported PHP and MySQL... just to keep in practice.
 
I don't know if this is in the above thread but the Meisterschaft series includes cars that race in that series irl - which includes the Alfa - I believe is is called German because the series is held in Germany rather than being only for German cars. Alfa probably had a marketing reason for wanting to run a car in a German series or perhaps the series gets Italian TV coverage?
 
Well, my Ring binge of yesterday is over, and did best in the Audi A4. A one lap race at 6:45, using racing soft tires. That's significantly better than any other car -- although these were races, and I managed to pass the pack cleanly early on.

Oh, the ring. Some of these races, one and two lap events had me winning or losing by less than two seconds in two laps. Incredible how, near the very end of the second lap, you get passed by second place. How can races be so close on such a long track?

Long time ago, I heard that nobody's been able to memorize the ring. I guess it depends a lot on what level of detail you commit to memory. One of the license exams recommends that you learn every curb, etc. on the ring. Hell, I'm nowhere near that level. With me, I divide the ring into sections demarked by certain critical turns. After one turn, I'll remember that somewhere up "there", there's a bad right... But I usually make a trip or two or four into the spinach patch most laps.

One thing that helps in learning the ring is to scan the scenery for clues to the road ahead. On a "normal" race track, I usually focus on the line, the next apex, brake points, etc. But the ring, more than any other track in the game by far, is like real driving. It's more important to pay attention to the road ahead as far as you can see. Line is important, but not as much as with other tracks.

There's also something about "pace"... rather than pushing for speed, I try and keep a sort of rhythm, a flow. It's more like dancing than running. But then again, when there's traffic, it's more like boxing than wrestling.

Green hell or green heaven? I guess it depends on the day and the car.
 
I like the Mercesdes Evo II Touring Car
 
Sabine Schmit(spelling?) knows the 'Ring off by heart. Then again drving round it is her day job. 👍
 
Imakuni
Sabine Schmit(spelling?) knows the 'Ring off by heart. Then again drving round it is her day job. 👍


Welcome to GTP, in future try and stay on topic, if you read the thread name and above posts you'll see what other people are talking about
 
Razzbar
...Long time ago, I heard that nobody's been able to memorize the ring. I guess it depends a lot on what level of detail you commit to memory. One of the license exams recommends that you learn every curb, etc. on the ring. Hell, I'm nowhere near that level...
By the time you have golded all the 'Ring licence tests and passed Mission 34, won the 1000 Miles! and the 'Ring 4 hour for 200 points you will be pretty close to having the ring memorised. Hans Stuck also would seem to know every bump on that circuit - I learned a lot from watching his video.

And, just so we don't provoke the little deputy mods into having to pull me into line, I have yet to find a touring car I don't like at the ring but would also put the 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II Touring Car top of my list.
 
Whilst I find the Merc 190E and the Audi TT-R fantastic to drive around the 'Ring, no touring car compares to the M3 GTR - which straddles the line between touring car and GT car (yes I know its not a DTM car). Hans Stuck must have enjoyed himself driving that thing.
 
The Mercedes CLK DTM car, the 190E Evolution, and if this counts, the Alfa race car. When the Alfa backfires, its like a freakin flamethrower (are 8 inch pipetips really necessary?) :)
 
I LOVE the ADT TT-R. Fabulous drive. I have soo much fun in that car whenever I drive it.
 
The most fun car in the DTM series is imo a tie between the Calibra and the 190E, but my fave car that fits the definition of a touring car that I drive at the Ring would be my TVR Cerbera Speed six.
 
George Morley, can i just tell you to get your facts straight? Someone said about memorising the 'Ring so i mentioned someone who has. I'm not new to this site and can use all of its features, probably a lot better than you can.

N00B :yuck:
 
Imakuni - All I said was to try and stay on topic, and I'm not a noob.
 
GeorgeMorley
Imakuni - All I said was to try and stay on topic, and I'm not a noob, look under your name (new member) . . . . . noob

Yes, but you were a n00b once ;)

Not very long ago, i recall.
 
GeorgeMorley
Imakuni - All I said was to try and stay on topic, and I'm not a noob, look under your name (new member) . . . . . noob
He was on topic, noob.
 
This thread is getting hijacked, enough of the name calleing guys. [I assume] we aren't in 4th grade.
 
I actually have 2 touring cars that I like to use, which are both BMW's...although the other I think is a GT car. The M3 GTR...as the name states. :)
 
I don't see how you can even have fun driving the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 around the 'Ring. For me it's like a test of concentration and endurance. My skills are basic but hey, I just got Tourist Trophy! 👍
 
Imakuni
George Morley, can i just tell you to get your facts straight? Someone said about memorising the 'Ring so i mentioned someone who has. I'm not new to this site and can use all of its features, probably a lot better than you can.
That was not necessary, neither was calling him a n00b when he has more experience and is a more useful member of these forums than you appear to be. A person with 16 posts is not in a position to insult others regarding experience, or anything else for that matter. And George's post wasn't offensive, he was trying to keep the thread on-topic in a friendly manner.

Anyway, back on-topic myself. Although the DTM is being talked about, DTM cars aren't the only touring cars around :p I'll mention the BMW M3 GT-R Race Car, which I've found to be great fun to drive at the Nordschleife. I've never understood why PD decided not to let it into the Meistershaft, though. I like the CLK Touring Car as well, and I usually use it in my DTM binges. It works well at the Nordschleife, but then again all DTM cars handle very nicely.

But I said I wouldn't go on about the DTM cars, so I'll move on. Live4speed, I'll go with you - a TVR Cerbera Six is a lot of fun, especially on S1 tyres! :) 👍

DE
 
I also like the BMW 320i Touring Car which I bought today
 
Imakuni
I don't see how you can even have fun driving the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 around the 'Ring. For me it's like a test of concentration and endurance. My skills are basic but hey, I just got Tourist Trophy! 👍
The Speed 12is one of my fave cars, it's capable of sub 7 in Ring times, you need to learn to drive it differently to all the other supercars, it's got superb cornering ability and easilly the fastest acceleration for any stock road car in the game, it just demands excellent throttle control to get the best out of it. Not a car for the faint of hear, certainly not for beginners.
 
Again I have to agree with you, live4speed :p the Speed 12 really does handle beautifully. It doesn't really deserve the fearsome reputation it's earned over time, because it doesn't give too much trouble to an experienced, controlled driver. But sub-seven Nordschleife times are nothing special :sly:
I'm currently aiming to get my GT-R34 V-SpecII Nür (906bhp with Stage 4 Turbo) to manage a sub-six-minute lap on R3s. I could get an Original turbo and let the extra torque take me there, or go for stupid grip on R5s and do it that way, but I'd rather do it the way it is. A nice challenge, and having a 5'59-capable road car makes for good bragging rights :dopey:

If you can count it as a touring car rather than a tuning car, then that's my favourite.

DE
 
Sub 7 mins isn't anything special for tuned cars that have been setup for the ring, but for a stock car on stock tyres with stock settings it's pretty good, only the ZZ-II comes close to the Speed 12 track performance wise under thoes conditions.

I think the broad definition of a touring car is a 2+2 vehicle with a closed roof so a Skyline GT-R does apply. Different tourign car events then add rules regarding aerodynamics, engines, power, weight, transmission etc.
 
OPEL Astra Touring Car - Its so well balanced and powerfull. I hope to start the Nurburgring 24hr some time soon all in A-Spec. I also like the OPEL Calibra Touring Car.
 
The '92 AMG Mercedes 190E Tourning Car is my favorite. Well mannered, not overly powerful, classic styling and good handling.
 
I like the Red Bull Audi TT. Softening the suspension and raising the ride height helped that car handle the 'Ring. Lots of downforce too. The only other car I've tried is the alfa romeo. The Touring Car Meisterschaft is my favorite championship! It's challenging but not too much.
 
Back