Favourite Rally Cars + Tracks. Reasons?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Moxy
  • 23 comments
  • 1,432 views
Messages
33
I had a search and I don't think this has been done before, leaving one group of GT4 enthusiasts out - The rally drivers.

In this tread you can discuss anything related with rallying, from set-ups to techniques.

It will be very interesting to see what people think of possibly the most skillful race-type on GT.

Good chatting, looking forward to many 'heated discussions' in the future.

Moxy
 
I find great pleasure in driving the old rally-cars and the group B cars.
The older 2wd mostly for nostalgic reasons, the group B for raw power.

Ford RS200 Rally Car ('85)
Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car ('85)
Lancia Delta HF Integrale Rally Car ('92)
Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 Evolution 2 Rally Car ('86)
Mitsubishi Lancer 1600 GSR Rally Car ('74)
Nissan Bluebird 1600SSS Rally Car (510) ('69)
Nissan Silvia 240RS Rally Car ('85)
Lancia Stratos Rally Car ('77)

Of the modern 4WD cars, i like the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII Super Rally Car ('03).
 
Peugeot 206 Rally around Cathedral Rocks 1. 👍

The 206 Rally is my favorite rally, and one of my top cars in GT4. It looks mean, with amazing power and handling. Don't ask me why I love Cathedral Rocks 1 so bad though, something about the course reminds me of taking the back roads by my house, and basically reminds me of how i'm a hick. :lol:
 
I love the Ford RS, also the Imprezas for the pure style they have, and the Renault 5 maxi-turbo :sly: What a little beast it is. Same with the Pug 205. the Lancers are good, also the Pajero is a lot of fun. Favourite tracks are some of the tarmac rallys (Amalfi) and the Grand Can.

Toyota RSC rally car is good too, but is a bit too controlled for my liking.
 
Ford RS200 rally car at any tarmac track. Lethal precision weapon suitable for humiliation.
 
I love fanging the Suberu around The Alps, and yeah, the Pug on Cathedral Rocks
 
I originally got the Lancer Evo IV '97 because I liked the look of the car alot. Driving it has been a nice surprise though. It's very stable with good traction and most importantly easy to control it's smooth power band. Alot of the stronger cars have a hammering powerband which makes the tires slip like crazy forcing you to really work the throttle control harder then I like to on a regular PS2 joystick. I find it easier on a wheel+pedal system but I dont have one (just tried a friend's). Also this car is by no means overmatched or overpowered on the hard rally's which I like. It's just a little underpowered making for a good race (no power mods or oil change).

I have a fascination with the pikes peak escudo but damn... too much HP for me. I like clean races with no wall bumping and I find that Escudo's power too hard to control at the moment. It's an amazing beast though if you can control it.

I also like driving the suburu impreza's alot and original got into them because I am familiar with seeing them in the media (TV, news, magazine etc). Also it was my first rally car in GT1 ^_^

As for courses I really like Grand Canyon alot. Right now it's my favorite for its technicality. It has a great mix of grade changes, fast turns, slow turns, slalom, and fast jumps which make it an all around fun course. The scenery is awesome too. I also like trying to hit the photographers on the road ...lol

Originally I hated the snow tracks. I felt so out of control and really didnt enjoy it at all but that was just my limited experience. After doing Chamonix on the Special license exam, I have played Chamonix more and actually find it to my liking. It's very technical and really forces you to be controlled in so many ways which is good practice for someone like me who doesn't have good throttle control on the race tracks. Throttle control is a pain on a PS2 controller for me and I find myself going 100% brake to 100% power too often. The rally's really make you practice mid range throttle control which I like.
 
I remember when I used to accelerate as hard as possible, then swing the tailend of the car around to stop myself getting a 5 second penalty when I hit the next corners. It did work but it's so much more pleasing to get a clean run using throttle control and controlled braking. A perfectly flat track like a runway but snowy with some snow jumps wold be fun in the Escudo!
 
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV Rally ('97). By far the best combination of handling, power, and overall ability for the car to do exactly what you want it to.

As for tracks, I've always like Alps, but lately really liked either Cathedral Rocks.
 
Here's a tip: Get a Viper GTSR Concept, tune it too the max, put some rally tyres on it and fling it around the Swiss Alps.:D This also works with lots of other American muscle cars, its great fun.

Also, I think the Suzuki Escudo is an insane car. Fighter jets don't accelerate that quickly...nor do they have the same power! Do wonder its got decals saying 'monster' on it.
 
latley ive been practicing on the snow ring with my levin.with my dfp im trying to get better car control and driving an fr on snow is so hard- too much accel and theres no way you can save yourself >_<

fav rally track swiss alps- but my favorite tarmac track in the game is costa di amalfi
 
i love the latest prototype impreza and the mitsu evo with the wing all near to the rear glass. they are 4wd and slide with style

tahiti rocks, dirt and cement mixed for non-traction fun
 
Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 Evolution 2 Rally Car ('86)

and tahiti because i love the turns and its an awesome view too
 
no tcs needed
Here's a tip: Get a Viper GTSR Concept, tune it too the max, put some rally tyres on it and fling it around the Swiss Alps.:D This also works with lots of other American muscle cars, its great fun.

Way back in 2003, in BC2 (Board Challenge 2), the race festivities started off with a crazy 3 lap race around Swiss Alps in an RX-7 with a Stage 3 turbo.

Somehow, I always volunteered to do the dirt stages of those Board Challenges, so I remember that one pretty well.
 
smokey mountain was a cool track from GT3

wish they would have put in in GT4... :(
 
Mitsubishi Pajero Rally Raid, because it is just the right balance of good power (especially low-end torque due to it's larger engine) and handling, all with just the right amount of body roll. And it looks hella cool.
As for track, that's a little tricky. They took out my favorite from GT3 (Smokey Mountain), so I have to say Tahiti Maze due to the fun of dirt tires on concrete and it's lack of jumps (no rally car would survive the pummeling of Cathedral Rocks apparent launch bases)..
 
Anyone taken the Corolla Rally car around Taihiti? With a stage 4 turbo I noticed the turbo lag actually helps the car around the twisty turns. Gear up when you brake to drop the rpm's down for the turn, and you can basically take the turn at full throttle, then blasting out of the hole when the boost comes in. In the hard stage, I beat the 205 Rally by almost 28 seconds. Not my best time for the stage, but theres lots of room for improvement. 👍

Just some info I thought i'd pass on.

@Toronado - I don't know about that. I've seen some pretty amazing jumps in rally races, even in todays WRC.
 
Yeah some rally drivers (Richard Buns R.I.P) used to fire off jumps at any angle and at full throttle, In fact, I can remember when he bottomed the Sube '01 out so badly that the suspension ripped into the engine bay. Still, I agree sometimes the jumps can be just a little too big, especially if you hit them in the right way.
 
In addition to my love of either Cathedral Rocks. I don't think theres any track that i've ever done more beautiful drifts on than at Tahiti. Looking on the map, i believe it's the section between the two majour hairpin sections, a bit of a straight followed by a few long sweeping turns.
 
The rally cars are great but, I found that the normal 4WD cars are just as good to manouver and get times and speeds comparable to the rally cars themselves.

I managed to get 200pts in a Mitsubishi CZ3 Tarmac on Grand Canyon Reverse and it wasn't easy as the Evo 03 you race against is continually on your tail and looking to pass you at any oppurtunity.

Even the Stagea , Caldina and Legnum release fun in abundance on Yahiti and Grand Canyon.
 
I LOVE to take the racing Lancia Stratos and fling it around Chamonix, completely as it comes without doing any mods to it.

It's a bit of a challenge to drive it with perfect control and keeping your line.

Now to make it all the more fun I envision myself *actually* doing it so I brake instead of hitting the wall, etc.

I usually hit a laptime of ~ 3 minutes by going so slow and gentle around the course, rarely even reaching third gear :lol:

But I think it's good experience for learning how to control a car that is always trying to spin out of control.

My friend Max tried it too and saw right away it was great fun to drift around, he spun around more than me of course because he doesn't play nearly as often.

Still a great little combo to do with a friend or two and just gape at each other's drifts :D
 
I must say Im not a fan of the rally tracks in GT4 but I keep going back to either the Peugeot 205 EVO or the Renault 5 Maxi around George Paris or Citta di aria....

Getting these beasts around without wall touching can be a lot of fun:tup:

David
 
Up untill recently I was a big fan of running Subaru's in rally races. Then I started playing around with the FORD Escort Rally Car '98. Thats an amaizing little rally car. It dosn't have that overwhelming tendancy to lose the back end when taking a sharp turn. I'm still running it stock w/ a stage 3 turbo, and minor tweeks to the transmission.

Doesn't matter what track I'm on.
 
Am I the only one here who has a liking for FF cars on rally? It's just so much fun... Especially in the snow.

For example the '91 Honda CRX. Just a chassis refreshening and rally / snow tires and you're off to much fun.

Or the Volvo S60 on dirt. That too is great fun.

But I also like to do some stock FR cars on the snow.
For example the old Chevelle or the S13 Silvia.

I don't really like the full blown racing rally cars all that much... I like the slower, stock cars more.
 
Back