Features from other racing games that you'd like to see in GT?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RobertM525
  • 8 comments
  • 635 views
Messages
368
United States
Oregon
Messages
Comrade-Shepard
It's easy to think up features that have never been in other games before, but I was wondering, what features that have been implemented well in other racing games would people like to see in Gran Turismo?

For instance, I remember Forza 1 from a long time back having two features that I thought were neat:

  • While in Free Run/practice mode, you could pause the game and tune your car without leaving the track.
  • The rewards for winning races varied depending upon how difficult it was (e.g., turning off traction control or turning on damage increased the rewards)
I remember Project Gotham Racing 2 (also on Xbox) having a mode where, when racing online, people could race as ghosts, negating the bumper cars problem that sometimes crops up online. (Granted, PGR2 really needed it because it dealt with lag very badly.)

Also, I'm thinking of littler things, not massive undertakings like "having an open world city like in Need for Speed: Most Wanted," which would essentially be an entirely different game.
 
Forza 4:
-all cars & tracks available from the start in arcade mode.
-being able to access all my career garage cars in arcade mode.
-credit bonuses for turning aids off, turning damage on, and increasing AI difficulty.
-adjustable AI difficulty.
-option to set up AI opponents to use upgraded cars.
-custom races with the option to choose number of AI opponents and choose car for each AI opponent.
-leaderboards for every track.
-event list where I can see all the info I need about every career event in 1 single page, without having to waste time going back & forth between menu screens.
-engine swaps, drivetrain swaps.
-livery editor, and a practical way to share liveries online.

Shift 2:
-leaderboards for career events and credit bonuses for beating friend's best career results.
-being able to access all my career garage cars in arcade mode.
-adjustable AI difficulty.
-being able to save setups for each car at each track.
-leaderboards for every track.

F1CE:
-optional practice & qualifying in all races.
-being able to choose my position on the grid if I choose to race without qualifying.
-adjustable AI difficulty.
-option to enable mechanical damage, fuel/tire wear, collision/corner cutting penalties in all game modes.
-option to turn collisions off in online races.

Race Pro:
-optional practice & qualifying in all races.
-being able to choose my position on the grid if I choose to race without qualifying.
-adjustable AI difficulty.
-custom races with the option to choose number of AI opponents and choose car for each AI opponent.
-option to enable mechanical damage, fuel/tire wear, collision/corner cutting penalties in all game modes.
-leaderboards for every track.

Modnation Racers:
-proper track creator, with a practical system to share and search other player's tracks.
 
Damage system ala Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed.
 
Damage system ala Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed.

It's been years since I played that—what was unique/noteworthy about its damage damage system?
 
Don't we have 800 threads for this topic already?
 
Ive never seen a damage system as good. In career racer mode it cost to repair your car after the race. You could repair one part and not another. You could replace parts with new or used. It differentiated between engine, drive train, wheel, brakes, body damage and a couple of others. Depending on how you damaged it changed how it effected the car.

I remember damaging my suspension after a clean landing from a 90mph jump on one of the country/farm tracks. Brilliantly executed game, sub par physics. I'd jump at a chance to play a refreshed version.
 
Ive never seen a damage system as good. In career racer mode it cost to repair your car after the race. You could repair one part and not another. You could replace parts with new or used. It differentiated between engine, drive train, wheel, brakes, body damage and a couple of others. Depending on how you damaged it changed how it effected the car.

I remember damaging my suspension after a clean landing from a 90mph jump on one of the country/farm tracks.
Ah, yes. I remember that now. I seem to remember some of the earlier cars not having a rev limiter and being able to damage the engine by over-revving, too... though maybe I'm crazy and that wasn't really a thing. :)

Anyway, yeah, it was a fantastic game. I think it really solidified my love of all things Porsche.
 
More common sense options. Too many to go into here though.


👍
 
From Assetto Corsa, the entire system of pop-up menus that is available while on track. You can pop up and move around different semi-transparent windows containing all kinds of data and adjustments. Things like field of view, seating position etc. in one window, current and previous lap times and lap time delta in another, tire temperatures and wear in another etc. etc. etc.

The lap time delta I'm finding a particularly useful feature for hotlapping and seeing as how GT is mainly a hotlapping game IMO, it would be invaluable here as well. It gives you a real time differential between current and fastest lap allowing you to instantly tell how much mistakes have cost you on the track or how much time you gained by taking a particular corner in a different line. It also gives a projected lap time based on your current differential. I find myself transfixed to it after every corner to see whether I'm gaining or losing time:crazy:
 
Back