Feint woes ...

• Thread starter Martal39
  • 25 comments
K , so when feinting i always kinda end up ''understeering my oversteering''.
By that i mean that i always end up with a drift where i dont have to countersteer at all.
I cant seem to turn into the corner enough.
I CANT GET IT SIDEWAYS YO!

Should i brake more?
Im on DS2 so i cant really turn more as im already turning as much as i can.

Maybe try loosening up your spring rates so you'll get more weight transfer going, that should give you more angle.

As for braking it depends on how they're set up. If you have a bias with more to the rear, then short stabs of braking should help adjust your angle.

As for braking it depends on how they're set up. If you have a bias with more to the rear, then short stabs of braking should help adjust your angle.

I assume that applies to the braking in the drift.
I wanted to know how much ... if any should i brake when iniating the drift

Heres a good way to start. Come in a few mph faster then you normally would. Start in the center of the track. Lets say its a left hand corner. Let off the gas and turn right. Begin to brake hard to transfer the weight to the front. Then turn hard left and floor it. The wieght should transfer to the right rear tire and begin the drift. If done right its possible to start the drift back at the braking stage because if you turn into the left and brake hard it should allow the back end to float out, this is all provided you have the right speed entering the corner.

Heres a good way to start. Come in a few mph faster then you normally would. Start in the center of the track. Lets say its a left hand corner. Let off the gas and turn right. Begin to brake hard to transfer the weight to the front. Then turn hard left and floor it. The wieght should transfer to the right rear tire and begin the drift. If done right its possible to start the drift back at the braking stage because if you turn into the left and brake hard it should allow the back end to float out, this is all provided you have the right speed entering the corner.

That sounds like the right way to take the left handed sweeper in deep forest.

Yea I emphasize the LIFT OFF part, if you simply gas it fully to do a feint it will be harder to kick the back out, and like Artic said come in a little faster cause the feint will take away some amount speed depending on how much you feint.

Feint sometimes works by itself but also if if have to you can brake or use the ebrake

sorry, we cant watch it...The vid isn't imbeddable,
A good way to feint is just do a little drift sideways, at onl 3/4 throttle, to leave you room to kick it back around.

K , so when feinting i always kinda end up ''understeering my oversteering''.
By that i mean that i always end up with a drift where i dont have to countersteer at all.
Try to reduce rear end grip or increase front end grip. The easiest way would be by using tire stagger like N3/N1.

looks good nk4e, nice way of explaining :D
Please dont tire stagger IMO, it makes everything weird feeling, I tries it once for a similar problem...

If I want to avoid tire stagger, I use (in priority order):
- spring rate, my main tuning when I want to tweak sideways balance
- camber, only when spring rate inadequate
- damper, to cure snap or dull feel
- stabilizer, to change handling in the middle of drifting

Thanks for the great feedback guys , im gonna try it with those tweaks.

also Nk4e , awesome awesome video.I was wondering if it would be possible for you to upload it with the view what shows the acceleration and braking?

If I want to avoid tire stagger, I use (in priority order):
- spring rate, my main tuning when I want to tweak sideways balance
- camber, only when spring rate inadequate
- damper, to cure snap or dull feel
- stabilizer, to change handling in the middle of drifting

Well, the reason why tires stagger is that it is imbalanced( n3/ N1)
Thanks for the great feedback guys , im gonna try it with those tweaks.

also Nk4e , awesome awesome video.I was wondering if it would be possible for you to upload it with the view what shows the acceleration and braking?

Towards the end of the video has it.

IMO, and if I'm understanding your concern correctly, a drift where you don't need to countersteer would be ideal. If you've already put the car at an angle that doesn't require anymore steering adjustment to keep you sliding through the turn, I'd say that's the ideal drift. The car may not be perpendicular to the apex, lol, but you'd still be drifting, and actually drifting a lot faster than the guy who's bleeding off speed being completely sideways and trying to bring it back...though I find that a lot of people are more concerned with getting the car as sideways as possible vs. using a drift to take a corner at a higher speed than you might be able to when driving "properly".

I found an example a nice feint BeeDizzle did in his new vid. Look at the video at time (2:33), Bee who's driving the red R33 does a feint.

He feint's to the right-side to do the left handed hairpin, so he starts on the left-side of the road before entering feint.
Watch his braking, that stops him from sliding all the way to the outside, but he still has enough wheel spin to drift.

...though I find that a lot of people are more concerned with getting the car as sideways as possible vs. using a drift to take a corner at a higher speed than you might be able to when driving "properly".

Counter steer is very proper in exhibition drifting. As far as exhibition drifting in GT4 goes, we don't care about speed. :)

As far as feinting goes, I really like it when I can initiate and maintain a drift without any braking. To me, that's have extreme control over your weight and contact patches. It's also the most difficult, in my experience, to maintain. But the most fun for me and I think it looks the smoothest since your car isn't taking a nose dive coming into the corner. ;)

IMO, and if I'm understanding your concern correctly, a drift where you don't need to countersteer would be ideal. If you've already put the car at an angle that doesn't require anymore steering adjustment to keep you sliding through the turn, I'd say that's the ideal drift. The car may not be perpendicular to the apex, lol, but you'd still be drifting, and actually drifting a lot faster than the guy who's bleeding off speed being completely sideways and trying to bring it back...though I find that a lot of people are more concerned with getting the car as sideways as possible vs. using a drift to take a corner at a higher speed than you might be able to when driving "properly".

Then would it be a Drift at all?

Actually i wanna countersteer ... makes me feel more special.

Also whats with the Trance music in all drift videos :)?

That is a braking feint. During braking feints, the weight has already transfered to the front end so all you need to do is a small feint to get the back end(which has less weight on it) to kick out.

I also usew the DS2 (hopefully not 4 long) and all i do is tap the brake a few times and then let off the gas while fainting and emediatly after that hit the gas and counterstear. Not that hard:dunce:

I drive a NSX-R, and I don't need to do feint, but if I wanna get a big angle drift, I would obviously use feint. Just turn to the opposite side of the corner, brake, and then turn in the correct way, then counter steer and get on the gas (be careful with the throttle). That's the way I do it and it works perfectly for me. Maybe you're a different case.

Back